A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Time to vote.

PBV. 1,2,3,6,7 focused 1,2,6

Monsters. 8,9,10 focused 8.

I could find a use for all of the above, I have not voted for the K42 because I have built one from a kit.

Thanks to Brian and the team and not forgetting our host Robin.

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, vive la difference. 

The blue loco livery has always intrigued me. This page has some interesting notes and extracts from the painting instructions. I wonder exactly why it was dropped. Was it just too complicated to have three different loco liveries, maybe?

https://twsmedia.co.uk/2020/08/15/british-railways-first-locomotive-liveries/

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Yes, vive la difference. 

The blue loco livery has always intrigued me. This page has some interesting notes and extracts from the painting instructions. I wonder exactly why it was dropped. Was it just too complicated to have three different loco liveries, maybe?

https://twsmedia.co.uk/2020/08/15/british-railways-first-locomotive-liveries/

Very poor durability under service conditions is generally held to have been the issue, and practicality ultimately dictated a change in policy.

Few locos retained blue livery for much over two years, before the application of BR green, which tends to bear that out.

It would be interesting to know, though, if any works began that before the instruction to do so came down from HQ.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes:

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.2: Passenger Brake Vans, Monsters, Bullion & BR-built Siphon G

Hello everyone

A reminder that your ‘Polling Station’ closes at 17.00 today.

If you haven’t already voted, here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus the two ‘focused choice’ options (13 &14).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. 

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Passenger Brake Vans

1   Passenger Brake Van. Dean. 40ft, four double doors per side (Diags.K14, K15 & K16)

2   Passenger Brake Van. Churchward. 57ft Steel-panelled Toplight. (Diag.K22)

3   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, high waist style (Diag.K41)

4   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K42)

5   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 58ft 4½in Bow Ended ‘Ocean Mails’ (Diag.K38)

6   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 59ft 10in Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K44)

7   Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 61ft 4½in Bow Ended, general service (Diag.K40)

Monsters

8   Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Outside framed (Diag. P16)

9   Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed (Diag..P18 and P21 Giant rebuilds)

10 Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed. BR-built (Diags.P23 & P24 of 1953)

Bullion Van

11 Bullion Van (eg Diags.M16 & M17)

BR-built Siphon G

12 Siphon G – BR-built (Diag.O62 of 1951)

13 Your Focused Choice of Passenger Brake Van

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just three of the Passenger Brake Vans, which would you choose? Please answer (such as): My focused choices of PBV are: 4, 5 & 6.

14 Your Focused Choice of Monster

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just one of the Monsters, which would you choose? Please answer (such as): My focused choice of Monster is: 10

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The red above the cream, as shown on Rob's train behind the pannier, does make a striking change. I don't think many vehicles received it, but it looks classier, for certain. 

Do you know what Ian, I'd never noticed that before even alongside the Hornby version.:huh:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Very poor durability under service conditions is generally held to have been the issue, and practicality ultimately dictated a change in policy.

Few locos retained blue livery for much over two years, before the application of BR green, which tends to bear that out.

It would be interesting to know, though, if any works began that before the instruction to do so came down from HQ.  

John

Indeed.  In paints prior to changes in the 1960s blue was a notorious colour for fading or losing its original density apparently due to something in the pigments and irrespective of the usage.  Hence it, especially the mid blue shades, tended to be avoided by the building trades because of its impermanence.  By the time BR re-adopted it in the 1960s paint technology had obviously changed greatly so it hled its colour a lot better than had once been the case.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The red above the cream, as shown on Rob's train behind the pannier, does make a striking change. I don't think many vehicles received it, but it looks classier, for certain. 

Most (all?) crimson/cream coaches had a crimson band above the windows but it was much narrower.

This page gives more detail than you ever thought you'd need (download the PDF):

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1948.html

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

Results – GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.2:

Passenger Brake Vans, Monsters, Bullion & BR-built Siphon G

Many thanks to the 31 voters who took part. The number of votes to each item is shown in the left hand column and Comments Received are appended on a PDF as usual.

Please note that the results reflect the views of those who voted here and may not necessarily reflect those of the wider modelling community.

Well…we certainly like Passenger Brake Vans and they occupy the first six places out of the 12 vehicles listed. The K41 has come in top but – as noted by me earlier – I reckon that if that was made, the K42 would be as well.

Although the K40 was in second place in the overall votes, it took the ‘focused choice’ prize.

High Polling

26        Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, high waist style (Diag.K41)

24        Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 61ft 4½in Bow Ended, general service (Diag.K40)

22        Passenger Brake Van. Churchward. 57ft Steel-panelled Toplight. (Diag.K22)

20        Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 57ft Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K42)

Middle Polling

17        Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 58ft 4½in Bow Ended ‘Ocean Mails’ (Diag.K38)

17        Passenger Brake Van. Collett. 59ft 10in Flat Ended, low waist style (Diag.K44)

15        Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Outside framed (Diag. P16)

15        Siphon G – BR-built (Diag.O62 of 1951)

Low Polling

12        Passenger Brake Van. Dean. 40ft, four double doors per side (Diags.K14, K15 & K16)

11        Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed. BR-built (Diags.P23 & P24 of 1953)

9          Scenery & Parcels Van. Monster. Inside framed (Diag.P18 and P21 Giant rebuilds)

9          Bullion Van (eg Diags.M16 & M17)

13 Your Focused Choice of Passenger Brake Van

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just three of the Passenger Brake Vans, your focused choices would be:

Collett. 61ft 4½in Bow Ended, general service (Diag.K40)

14 Your Focused Choice of Monster

If there was only enough plastic available in the world to make just one of the Monsters, your focused choice would be:

Outside framed (Diag. P16)

Tune in on Wednesday 30 June for: GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.3: TPO Stock

This will follow the established timetable with closure on Saturday 3 July with Results on Sunday 4 July – although you will notice a slightly different approach to the voting on this one for valid reasons which will become apparent.

Brian (also on behalf of John, Chris & Ian)

GWR Mini-Poll No.2 PBVs Comments Received.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Most (all?) crimson/cream coaches had a crimson band above the windows but it was much narrower.

Neither Larry Goddard nor Hornby seem convinced it was applied to all.

IMG_5004.jpeg.1fa698680e8bb832d9e362416caeb207.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg.f4674c80dcd105e70403c7bfe1832822.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Captain

I'm pleased to say that the Herring is already in the Departmental Stock Mini-Poll that is coming in a few week's time.

Brian

Excellent, that's good news, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Neither Larry Goddard nor Hornby seem convinced it was applied to all.

IMG_5004.jpeg.1fa698680e8bb832d9e362416caeb207.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg.f4674c80dcd105e70403c7bfe1832822.jpeg

Ian, my reference was to ex-GWR coaches. I know very little about Southern coaches and even less about crimson-and-cream ones.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ian, my reference was to ex-GWR coaches. I know very little about Southern coaches and even less about crimson-and-cream ones.

As far as I am aware no SR coaches had the additional band. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1