Jump to content

A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.


gwrrob
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

My choices are:

 

Cornish pastie, a pint of Tribute and a side order of no passing seagulls.


Make that a pint of ‘Proper Job’ and I’m with you!

  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Pendennis said:

I certainly wouldn't pay that sort of money for a Dapol 4-wheel van.  I thought the mini-polls talked about a realistic price!

 

Hello Pendennis

 

I know you have your tongue slightly in cheek there, but I thought a small clarification might help...

 

We use the term 'affordable prices' as opposed to 'realistic prices'. It is impossible to be precise but - by 'affordable prices' - we are looking at what has gone before in a similar vein (excluding highly specialised limited editions etc).

 

Brian

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Something doesnt look quite right to my eyes, though its possibly the hideous NEM coupling pockets distorting the view.  Will be interesting to see one with the roof repainted (and not washed out  by the lighting).

£36 is also far too expensive for a short 2 axle van....

Hi Rich

 

But it is G*R and they know people with the inability to bung together a Ratio kit will pay £36 for an iconic G*R wagon.

  • Funny 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

My choices are:

 

Cornish pastie, a pint of Tribute and a side order of no passing seagulls.

Make that no Seagulls 'passing', as they often do with frightening accuracy. They need to clear their system of Sand.

  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BMacdermott said:

 

Hello Pendennis

 

I know you have your tongue slightly in cheek there, but I thought a small clarification might help...

 

We use the term 'affordable prices' as opposed to 'realistic prices'. It is impossible to be precise but - by 'affordable prices' - we are looking at what has gone before in a similar vein (excluding highly specialised limited editions etc).

 

Brian

 

 

 

Apologies Brian.  In my opinion it is not a realistic price; as to being affordable, maybe for some but although my model railway budget is fairly elastic, there would be much higher priorities for £37.  And there are three wagons in each livery, I wonder if Rails are hoping people will buy a set of all three  - £110+, eye-watering?

 

This could be a double-edged sword; will another manufacturer jump on the bandwagon and produce a better injection moulded model or will this be a spoiler?

 

Martin

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Hello Martin

 

I am in the same position as you...

 

I, too, can afford £37.00 out of my allocated model railway budget but would wish to spend that £37.00 on a higher priority item for me. 

 

It will still therefore be affordable to many even if some might consider it 'an unrealistic price'

 

Brian

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Pendennis said:

 

Apologies Brian.  In my opinion it is not a realistic price; as to being affordable, maybe for some but although my model railway budget is fairly elastic, there would be much higher priorities for £37.  And there are three wagons in each livery, I wonder if Rails are hoping people will buy a set of all three  - £110+, eye-watering?

 

This could be a double-edged sword; will another manufacturer jump on the bandwagon and produce a better injection moulded model or will this be a spoiler?

 

Martin

I doubt it will be a spoiler - it's a very niche method of manufacture using, so i understand from the blurb, a variant on the 'normal' 3-D printing process so it is not suitable for mass market levels of production and it isn't cheap.  Hence it will result in a relatively high price and an equally inevitable small market .  I presume that  - as previously - Dapol's involvement is simply 'assembly'. (i.e adding the wheelsets and buffer heads - and possibly the NEM pockets? - the rest is no doubt a single print) and probably painting/decoration and putting it in a box.

 

So inevitably something like this won't be coming along at mass market prices which leaves that area open for those who wid sh to go into the tooling cosy ts and production that enable their product to sell at mass market prices. 

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

 

Not quite and not the devil's pannier [4666]  but here's 4679 on some SR stock heading east.

 

DSCN7989.JPG.e8935bf34553fb9eab69f71a68d4d9c7.JPG

Are those coaches not 'offensive' to the innocent Pannier?  I think this is just another hint at the conversion to Halwiil Junctionitis.

P

  • Funny 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

 

Not quite and not the devil's pannier [4666]  but here's 4679 on some SR stock heading east.

 

DSCN7989.JPG.e8935bf34553fb9eab69f71a68d4d9c7.JPG

 

Must be very affluent down there, that's a lot of 1st class accommodation Old Fruit! 

  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Are those coaches not 'offensive' to the innocent Pannier?  I think this is just another hint at the conversion to Halwiil Junctionitis.

P

 

That many SR coaches could easily push a Pannier (which have been proven elsewhere to be unsteady on their feet) over the edge. Could lead to another unfortunate Pannier related incident.

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

 

That many SR coaches could easily push a Pannier (which have been proven elsewhere to be unsteady on their feet) over the edge. Could lead to another unfortunate Pannier related incident.

A truly dire prospect.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

 

That many SR coaches could easily push a Pannier (which have been proven elsewhere to be unsteady on their feet) over the edge. Could lead to another unfortunate Pannier related incident.

 

And here is yet another example of how fans of the lesser railways don't really understand the superior GWR - Panniers have wheels, not feet. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I doubt it will be a spoiler - it's a very niche method of manufacture using, so i understand from the blurb, a variant on the 'normal' 3-D printing process so it is not suitable for mass market levels of production and it isn't cheap.  Hence it will result in a relatively high price and an equally inevitable small market .  I presume that  - as previously - Dapol's involvement is simply 'assembly'. (i.e adding the wheelsets and buffer heads - and possibly the NEM pockets? - the rest is no doubt a single print) and probably painting/decoration and putting it in a box.

 

So inevitably something like this won't be coming along at mass market prices which leaves that area open for those who wid sh to go into the tooling cosy ts and production that enable their product to sell at mass market prices. 

 

I agree Mike, I think it's a case that nobody so far has enough confidence that a RTR injection moulded model will sell in enough numbers to cover the mould costs. The 3d printed variant enables a small number to be produced. The higher cost reflects this production method. If folk really want one then they have to decide whether the price is worth it or wait in the hope of a mass produced RTR offering arriving later, perhaps, maybe.

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

 

And here is yet another example of how fans of the lesser railways don't really understand the superior GWR - Panniers have wheels, not feet. 

 

Might be steadier if they had feet. Perhaps that's the problem?

  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

So inevitably something like this won't be coming along at mass market prices which leaves that area open for those who wid sh to go into the tooling cosy ts and production that enable their product to sell at mass market prices. 

Yes, and some do.  Oxford Rail is obviously expecting its forthcoming injection moulded GER van to make them money at £14.95 a pop, for what I'd consider a somewhat more obscure prototype (though GER/LNER fans would no doubt demur!)

  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Oxford Rail is obviously expecting its forthcoming injection moulded GER van to make them money at £14.95 a pop,

 

Indeed John and I have high hopes of these and they could just turn out to be the bargain of the year.

  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold

Final Call for Votes

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.6: Freight Vehicles (excl Vehicle Carriers & ‘Heavy Duty’)

 

Hello everyone

 

A reminder that your 'Polling Station' closes at 17.00 with Results expected tomorrow.

 

If you haven't already voted, here’s what to do…

1 You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 11 & 12 (if you so wish).

2 They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3 Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. 

4 If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

 

Brake Van

1 Brake Van – 4-wheel Vacuum Braked (Diag.AA21 of 1939)

 

Bogie Bolster

2 Bogie Bolster A Wagon – Macaw H 20-ton (1927)

3 Bogie Bolster C Wagon – Macaw B 30-ton (1907)

 

Cattle, Grain & Mineral

4 Cattle Wagon – 11ft wheelbase (eg Diag.W1)

5 Grain Wagon – Grano (Diag.V25 of 1935)

6 Mineral Wagon – ‘Felix Pole’ (eg Diag.N32 of 1933)

 

Opens

7 Open Wagons – 16ft, 9ft wheelbase, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O3 and O25, 1904-1926)

8 Open Wagons – 17ft 6in, 10ft wheelbase, with/without Sheet Support (Diags. between O31 and O42, 1932-BR days)

9 Open Shock Wagon (Diag.O44 of 1939)

 

Conflat

10 Conflat A Wagon (Diag.H10 of 1944, inc BR Diag.1/061 etc of 1950 on)

 

11 Containers

There are too many to list for you to vote upon. If you want to see any particular Container made, please give details, preferably with a GWR code, such as A1, AF1, BD1 etc. A good point of reference is pp218-219 of A History of GWR Goods Wagons, New Edition Combining Parts 1 & 2 by Atkins, Beard et al.

 

12 Your suggestions of any wagons not covered in this, earlier or forthcoming Mini-Polls

 

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

 

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again Brian, Robin and team.

 

I'd like to vote for 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,10.

 

For 11, I'd buy any GWR container at an affordable price but I'd be particularly keen on any of the meat carrying varieties.

 

For 12, it would have to be the O13 china clay wagon.

 

All the best,

 

Ben

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My votes are for 1, 8, 9, &10.

 

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but a Cordon (9 tanks) wagon would get my vote.

 

Cheers & thanks.

Pete

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian,

 

I would purchase any and all of 1 to 10 inclusive. 

 

In terms of 12) Other Wagons - we need a Lowmac, ideally an earlier diagram with rounded curves, not the later 'orrible angular ones. Also, some crocodiles; the Bachmann (nee Mainline) crocodile scrubs up quite well, but as they came in varying lengths, I would love to see a longer one, as there aren't even any kits for these iirc. 

 

Thanks

 

CoY

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...