A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

(That is talking of Southern MNs).  And Rob was alas incorrect with his comment although there are some amusing things involved.  35019 ran between Paddington and Plymouth via the principal route to the latter city during the 1948 Loco Exchanges complete with a black liveried Stanier tender to enable it to pick up from water troughs.  MNs continued to be permitted over the WR route between Exeter and Plymouth for the rest of the steam age in the West of England but they were always banned from the SR's own route between Exeter & Plymouth.

So it isn't unrealistic to see an MN west of Exeter, unless it was on the SR route ;)

I was only repeating what the Southern Mafia had always told me, maybe they're not the Holy Trinity after all.:D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I was only repeating what the Southern Mafia had always told me, maybe they're not the Holy Trinity after all.:D

Motivated by jealousy.  Just because their bit of railway wasn't up to the job they would obviously find it a tad upsetting, and probably embarassing, to admit that on the other side of Dartmoor there was a superior route well able to accept their premium item of motive power (even if they did call it 'a mixed traffic engine'). 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Motivated by jealousy.  Just because their bit of railway wasn't up to the job they would obviously find it a tad upsetting, and probably embarassing, to admit that on the other side of Dartmoor there was a superior route well able to accept their premium item of motive power (even if they did call it 'a mixed traffic engine'). 

Now - no Southern bashing, please.  Or else!:unsure:  I only come here for the pasties!:blush_mini:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

AIUI, the 1948 trials apart, BR Southern Region always did their damnedest to ensure their flagship locos didn't reach Plymouth via either line to avoid any such crowing.  72A always had sufficient Light Pacifics on their books to make it a very rare occurrence. 

On the other hand, although (AFAIK) it never happened prior to the preservation era, the MN's axle-loading would theoretically have allowed them to work into Cornwall where the GWR's biggest locos were prohibited.

Waterloo, of course, would not have been the regional HQ to ensure that didn't happen.....:jester: 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/08/2021 at 13:58, BMacdermott said:

There are five outline time periods below; please select as many as apply to you and vote in the usual way (simply: 2, 3 etc).

My layout and majority of stock is period 5 (and later) with a few display items from period 1 (specifically SECR though).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

It's the body I want to be available as a spare for Autocoach conversion.....

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'm sure there will be someone out there who would buy the running gear from you.

I am going to have to get my GWR coaches books out and my GNR ones. I wonder if the power bogie would be suitable for a GNR Ivatt/Gresley rail motor, you-know the cute one with the little 0-4-0 engine.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

48 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I wonder if the power bogie would be suitable for a GNR Ivatt/Gresley rail motor, you-know the cute one with the little 0-4-0 engine.

I would be interested to see if it fitted an L&Y steam railmotor. For those who bought the Jidenco kit, the trick was to get a spare GWR railmotor chassis/valvegear from Blacksmith, to use in stead of the Jidenco.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.8: Departmental Stock

Hello everyone

Welcome to the eighth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Ballast Wagon, it probably is a Ballast Wagon, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Ballast & Track Vehicles

1   Ballast Wagon – Starfish/Ling (P14 & BR Diags.1/566 & 1/567)

2   Ballast Wagon – Herring/Mackerel (P22 and BR Diags.1/582 & 1/584 and Diag.1/583)

3   Rail Wagon – Whiting/Minnow (T Diagrams & BR Diag.1/620 & 1/622)

4   Chaired Sleeper Wagon (Diags.T1, T12, T13)         

5   Track Relaying Crane – to run with PWM 651-654

Breakdown

6   Breakdown Crane (such as GWR No.205 at Didcot)

7   Staff & Tool Vans

Inspection

8   Dynamometer Car W7W

9   Track Testing Car – ‘The Whitewash Coach’ (W139W/DW139)

Others

10 Gas Reservoir Tank Wagon 4-wheel – Cordon (Diag.DD4)

11 Loco Coal Wagon 4-wheel 10- & 20-ton

12 Hand Crane 4-wheel 3-ton (as preserved at Great Western Society)

13 Your suggestions of any Departmental Stock not listed.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 7 August. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 8 August.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

I’m voting for:

7   Staff & Tool Vans

I’d guess that – like me – many of you will have gone to a show (back in the ‘good old days’!), seen an item for sale, dithered about buying it, then regretted not buying it when you got home!

I well recall a visit to the Taunton Show many years ago. A tray on one sales table held maybe a dozen Staff & Tool Vans made to a very high standard – I believe they may well have been the CSP/Hayes versions. I dithered, didn’t buy and have regretted it all these years!

Hence, I am voting for them as well as a Breakdown Crane. The Didcot one would be very nice to see in RTR.

I have a Shapeways 3D-printed model of the Cordon which runs superbly well. Looks fine from ‘normal layout viewing distance’ but the striations are pronounced closer up, so I am voting for a RTR version.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

10 - to bring gas to a small terminus station

11 - to bring loco coal to a small terminus station

For my needs, everything else would be based at a far bigger yard than I'm planning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

10 Cordon - any type. These are seen in a fair few photos of class C trains on the Cornish main line. I’d buy one, maybe two.

11 Loco Coal. I’d have one ‘because it is available’ but I think ordinary 16t minerals and 7 planks are far more common in the later years so the lack of one doesn’t really bother me.

As to the other types, particularly tool vans, they are nice but I can’t really justify them. However, if I had a depot layout I’d probably think differently as they are often seen parked up in a siding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Welcome to the eighth in our series of GWR 00 Rolling Stock Mini-Polls. I am running them here with my friends, John Lewis, Chris Knowles-Thomas and Ian Taylor on Rob’s behalf.

You will find ‘an indication’ of what we are looking at via the suggested example diagrams in parentheses. We simply cannot list every incarnation! The makers are tending to ‘tool up’ to cover as many variants as are commercially viable. For us, the mantra is: If it looks like a Ballast Wagon, it probably is a Ballast Wagon, or a member of the same family.

In order to generate some debate – and some ‘learning opportunities’ – please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selections. I copy all ‘Comments Received’ in order of receipt – but with names removed – and post them as a PDF with the Results.

Please note that we do not welcome comments that act as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for any or all of the items listed plus suggestions at 13 (if you so wish).

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR at ‘affordable prices’.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7 – with comments and explanations following. My posting which follows should serve as an example.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Ballast & Track Vehicles

2   Ballast Wagon – Herring/Mackerel (P22 and BR Diags.1/582 & 1/584 and Diag.1/583)

Breakdown

7   Staff & Tool Vans

Inspection

8   Dynamometer Car W7W

Others

For me 2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,13 (Metcam side tippers, ie the prototype for what became Mermaid under BR)

Straight off I have omitted 1, 4 and 11 due to the availability of kits (with another new etched kit for the Starfish coming soon as well) I have enough Cambrian / Kirk / Chilvers kits built already for the ballast and loco coal wagons and would more likely than not go Cambrian for 4.   The hand crane 12 just doesnt appeal.

2 - I would prefer the earlier P7 version of the ballast hopper than the P22, but would be pretty happy with either.  (I know there are kits available for both designs, but if I was to add a rake of Herring I would need a lot.

3 /5 - not sure I recognise this one, but I dont have any and would no doubt find a use for it

6 - I like cranes but still havent got one, with the Oxford model a likely addition when (if) it appears, would I need a second breakdown crane?   depending on price I would likely be tempted.

7 - perfect to run with either Bachmann or Oxford (or 6) cranes, not available in kit form new, would be very useful

8/9 - 790 has been on my wats list for a very long time, likewise the whitewash coach sounds interesting.  again there are no currently available kits for either 

10 - I have included (but would need to verify that it was still in use in the 40s), interesting looking prototype would be too hard to resist.

13 - I am a big fan of these side tipping ballast / sand wagons, and have kit bashed 6 of them from the Cambrian BR mermaid.  Ideally I still need another 6 to finish the train.  The kit is awful, the only RTR model of the BR mermaid is even worse, and a well designed model should be able to do both the original GWR build with morton brakes and the later BR builds with vac brakes.  A model would need to include the open frames unlike the Flangeway model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

35019 ran between Paddington and Plymouth via the principal route to the latter city during the 1948 Loco Exchanges complete with a black liveried Stanier tender to enable it to pick up from water troughs.  

Hornby sold 34006 Bude in early condition with such a tender. I have a couple sitting unused if anyone is desperate. 

• Like 1

This one would empty my bank account and then some if all were to be produced. Deep breath, I’d definitely purchase 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 and 11.
These are a perfect excuse to add variety of stock to any location modelled (within reason) even if the traffic in that area was pretty dull.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Here’s what to do…

Ballast & Track Vehicles

Breakdown

7   Staff & Tool Vans

Inspection

8   Dynamometer Car W7W

Others

Get your thinking caps on and get voting! I will acknowledge receipt of your vote via the ‘Thx’ tick box.

You have until 17.00 on Saturday 7 August. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Sunday 8 August.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Rob’s thread only and neither RMweb nor The 00 Wishlist Poll Team are specifically involved, apart from me, John, Chris and Ian in our ‘personal capacities’.)

8 and 9 for the novelty factor of unique vehicles - I can’t check at the moment, but assume they were around in the 1930’s.

10 and 11 essential items to visit Henley on Thames.

Thanks again for the poll @BMacdermottand team.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

DD5

(a strange omission from the list)

Hello Miss P

It is impossible for us to list every GWR Departmental vehicle (and 'incarnation'). We have set a 'maximum load' of 12 items to each Mini-Poll and this one was at the maximum.

Hope that helps.

Brian

• Like 1