A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Hello Rob

Very nice yo see your County loco - a class that doesn't seem to attract much discussion but which is vital to any GWR main line layout.

The County has gradually crept up the echelons of The 00 Wishlist Poll Results over the years, getting into The Top 50 in 2018 but slipping back just outside in 2019 (the last Poll to run).

I have two very old Counties at present but would almost certainly buy three of any built to modern standards such as we are now seeing coming to market.

Brian

• Like 5
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I never knowingly saw a single Chimney County (or King for that matter). At Laira 1959/60/1/2 any I saw had the second type of DC that was more squat than the original attempts. They always looked a little different and, like me, a bit unbalanced at the front end!  In my humble opinion they were  bit late on the scene to be utilised to the full improved in some way. Bit of a waste really when considering the Route Availability of the other Classes. Bit of a 'Cinderella' Engine perhaps? 

I rather liked them of course, but didn't see them performing in Cornwall where they were at home I am told.

Would be interesting to hear what the Crews thought of them.

P

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I never knowingly saw a single Chimney County (or King for that matter). At Laira 1959/60/1/2 any I saw had the second type of DC that was more squat than the original attempts. They always looked a little different and, like me, a bit unbalanced at the front end!  In my humble opinion they were  bit late on the scene to be utilised to the full improved in some way. Bit of a waste really when considering the Route Availability of the other Classes. Bit of a 'Cinderella' Engine perhaps? 

I rather liked them of course, but didn't see them performing in Cornwall where they were at home I am told.

Would be interesting to hear what the Crews thought of them.

P

A distinct improvement on what went before.  Many years ago (obviously) my dad and I were trainspotting at Challow station one afternoon and 1019, newly ex-works arrived on an Up stopper running in.  It was, I think, the first Western engine that I cabbed and we were even offered a footplate trip to Wantage Road which dad regretfully declined as we were expected back at my grandparents for tea so we'd be posted , missing if we took up the offer.   Anyway what I do remember was that the Driver was full of praises for the engine which he kept saying was 'a lot better than they had been' (which meant nothing to me at the time of course).

The redraughted 'Counties' did excellent work on the North & west route where they seem to have been popular and could maintain time and I think they did pretty well in Cornwall from what I heard.  The original 1000 was definitely a very different kettle of fish.  I was on nights with one of my Running Foremen (probably during an ASLE&F dispute if I was there at that time of day) and he recounted his experience with the newly delivered 1000 when he, as the Fireman, and hos Driver were given it as their regular engine and told to get on with it - working a 'Castle' diagram (see comment later).  His Driver's opinion rapidly became that the latest thing to carry a 'County' name was as bad as the previous ones - on which he had fired.   The draughting and double chimney were a disaster - worked normally (with a short cut-off) the engine was a poor steamer; things got a a lot better if it was wound down and worked at a longer cut-off but the blast was then so strong that it pulled the sides out of the fire and it was hard work keeping it fed with coal.  So the double chimney was quickly marked down as a failure and, as we all know, was not repeated.  The single chimney versions were not so bad but were still not good steamers hence they received the attention of Sam Ell and his team and that, with the short double chimney the most obvious change, finally turned them into what they were meant to be.

So what were they meant to be?   No doubt at all about that - Hawksworth was trying to produce a 2 cylinder successor to the 'Saints' - something which could do the work of a 'Castle' but with only two cylinders so it would be cheaper to build and operate.  Alas the original was a failure in that respect but Sam Ell's efforts probably achieved Hawkworth's original objective and never overlook the fact that even on the most heavily graded sections of the WR the final double chimney version of the 10XX 'County' was allowed exactly the same loads - in the same timings - as a 'Castle'

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Gold

Lovely snaps Robin and some nice insight from Brian, Phil and The Stationmaster. 

I wonder if the latter can work his powers of persuasion on those Acurascale Boys for a 10xx County ;)

Thanks once again. 

Mark 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

It’s not very often you go to a model railway show and see something allegedly worth

£40 million but I’m reliably informed this Jaguar XJ13 is.

B34C1C66-7540-4321-A05B-020A19424970.jpeg.c4f021c6ebc7e8c513c62e0613bb986d.jpeg

Well it is green.... the colour, I wasn't suggesting it's one of those electric cars.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2021 at 13:01, gwrrob said:

Talking kit built wagons and here's my latest about to be given a coat of Halfords grey primer. Another LMS wagon, this time the Five79 tube kit which was a shake and bake build and I added some better buffers from Dave Franks and Gibson wheels. £17.50 plus my time.

DSCN7871.JPG.25380fb053fb1ee9515a1a6881f21e12.JPGDSCN7872.JPG.cbb43846664642ebd923ed92ded03e99.JPG

For completeness and you might remember my Five79 kit,LMS tube wagon, built back in the late spring. Here it is after @toboldlygo has lettered and weathered it and it awaits a load, probably some cable drums but I'm open to other ideas too.;)

DSCN8350.JPG.c598793161fdc9e9ddb4c5fd3c39b2cb.JPGDSCN8351.JPG.2dcd4af58f7f79634eea0a240089f527.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

For completeness and you might remember my Five79 kit,LMS tube wagon, built back in the late spring. Here it is after @toboldlygo has lettered and weathered it and it awaits a load, probably some cable drums but I'm open to other ideas too.;)

DSCN8350.JPG.c598793161fdc9e9ddb4c5fd3c39b2cb.JPGDSCN8351.JPG.2dcd4af58f7f79634eea0a240089f527.JPG

Osborns models sell some nice laser cut micro ply packing cases . They do a couple of sizes . No connection.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

39 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Have you ordered anything recently as they have a poor reputation on RMweb.

Yes . Following a review in Model Rail , I ordered a couple of OO packing cases and an N gauge . They arrived promptly . I have done a dry run ; everything fits accurately and , being plywood , they look authentic. Fair price .

Yes , self assembly  (Ho ho ) but again to state I’m just a pleased customer  . No financial interest or connection.

Hope this helps .

Ken 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Tubes (aka pipes) for a Tube wagon?

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Wouldn't that be too obvious for this thread Mike.:P

5 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Exactly - something unusual ;)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old_tube_trains_(10635195885).jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Also newly completed is this LMS 5 plank D1666 open , built from the Cambrian kit and here being used as a barrier wagon with my oil tankers. This is a 13 ton variant as some were upgraded during the war, as inspired by @BenL

DSCN8367.JPG.9d30cc0714aa9b22fabf5e2842ff49ef.JPGDSCN8368.JPG.bd9e22aa37e107a2a4f93f69da7fdb7d.JPG

• Like 19