A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd show you one of my mistakes. :O This is what happens if you renumber a loco without proper research.I know 4540 worked the Kingsbridge branch but what I didn't know was its outside steam pipes were fitted in 1951.I'm hoping the plates come off easily without damage.I found this info in the RCTS part nine I purchased to research the 72xx class.You live and learn.

Well, full marks for effort and adherence to what you know, rather than what suits you. Some of us would do the Nelson touch at that point. Of course there is always the risk that another might point out the error - but hopefully on here they'd do it gently. ISTR in Railway Modeller correspondence columns of yore, clever-clogs would delight in highlighting others' errors. One bombastic letter began "Yes, the chap has boobed - can't you guess?" which would never have been published if I'd been editor!

• Like 7

The trouble with admitting mistakes is that it encourages some of us to look closer  :O  You might have to look very carefully for one with cab portholes surviving in post-war years. Most had been plated over by the mid-thirties.

Nick

ps. after Ian's response, I hope that was gentle enough, and I realise it's not really your error.

Edited by buffalo
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think panniers yelped?  

64XX 'borrowed' from 83D; any excuse Rob :read:

Quack

P.S. You put your pipes inside, your pipes outside, in out, in out, what's that all about? Detail differences minefield game to catch out even the best model makers. :D

Despite the confused pipes that is a great picture; getting to Albion Yard standard.

Overheard conversation.

Minnie: something pegged on the up!

Flora: I can hear it, I think it's a goods?

Minnie: yes dear!

Flora: 28XX?

Minnie: 38XX?

Signalman: sorry ladies, it is a 42XX on a test train! 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with admitting mistakes is that it encourages some of us to look closer  :O  You might have to look very carefully for one with cab portholes surviving in post-war years. Most had been plated over by the mid-thirties.

Nick

ps. after Ian's response, I hope that was gentle enough, and I realise it's not really your error.

Portholes don't stand out as much as steampipes so I'm not to bothered by that if I'm honest.Just as well because my 4547 would be wrong then too. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Arthur has obviously just pointed out to Augustus that someone has allowed a coach with a toilet down his line and that the toilet had been used......... Augustus is not a happy chappy as he likes to keep a very clean 4 foot and does not even allow drivers to drain their cocks on his immaculate PW.

Yuch.

• Like 7

Arthur has obviously just pointed out to Augustus that someone has allowed a coach with a toilet down his line and that the toilet had been used......... Augustus is not a happy chappy as he likes to keep a very clean 4 foot and does not even allow drivers to drain their cocks on his immaculate PW.

Yuch.

OOOOOH you are aweful Mr. Duck

Quack.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Typical RMweb thread that has to have a compulsory comment containing toilet and its contents. :superstition: You don't get this on Peterborough North.......

If you can't beat them join them.This sign was spotted in South Devon and a brownie point is given for its location. ;)

post-126-0-62344900-1364727110_thumb.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

P North has had its' share of lower base humour, but Andy told me off so I'm trying to get away with it on here whilst he is eating Easter Eggs at York!

Anyhow, apologies and it won't happen again unless, of course, one of your 'staff' or 'passengers' makes a comment about the LNER!

P.S. No idea where the sign is unless it's at Bicton Gardens or possibly Dawlish (have not noticed it on Kingstorre though).

Oh, I'm only on here on such a beautiful day because herself has gone to volunteer at Idle Valley (great name) and I'm dogsitting our borrowed Spaniel whilst awaiting the chap who is mending our TV aerial that fell over yesterday - such fun here at 36E.

Quack. 

Edited by Mallard60022

You could remove the steam pipes, it would make a nice difference in the loco. You could plate over he smoke box where the pipes are , if the boiler had been fitted to a different loco with pipes. Or just fill in the hole.

• Like 2

You could remove the steam pipes, it would make a nice difference in the loco. You could plate over he smoke box where the pipes are , if the boiler had been fitted to a different loco with pipes. Or just fill in the hole.

Talking about removing steam pipes from the latest RTR offerings, has anyone given this a go, and if so how much of a mark did it leave behind? I appreciate we are not talking about major surgery here but was wondering if they are just glued in place or if plugged into the boiler/running plate.

I have a 28xx to be modified and potentially a 42xx in the not too distant future.

Cracking thread by the way Rob......keep it coming.

Regards,

Andy.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Typical RMweb thread that has to have a compulsory comment containing toilet and its contents. :superstition: You don't get this on Peterborough North.......

If you can't beat them join them.This sign was spotted in South Devon and a brownie point is given for its location. ;)

Has to be Trago Mills at Stover ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

G W R liveried 45xx 4547 shunting cattle vans.Meanwhile 3796 sits with its coach on the branch platform.

May I introduce to you the two ladies on the bench.As inspired by Mikkel in his Farthing blogs I've given them names.Flora and Minnie Finching to be precise and are well known to the station staff here.Sitting there all innocently they can tell a few stories of goings on here.

When the 45xx has finished shunting the pannier will take its train to Kingsbridge complete with two horseboxes attached.Meanwhile a down express thunders through with Manor class 7804 'Baydon Manor' in charge.

Morning Robin,

Some truly brilliant shots and thanks for the request shot of 7804 'Baydon Manor'. She looks at home on that train, picking up speed ready for the climb up to Wrangaton.

As for Minnie and Flora I believe there is a photo of them in the Pack Horse Inn in Brent. They were fiercely opposed to the closure of the Kingsbridge Branch and Brent Station itself resulting in them being immortalised in local folklore. Then again! :D

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Has to be Trago Mills at Stover ;)

No where near !

Morning Robin,

Some truly brilliant shots and thanks for the request shot of 7804 'Baydon Manor'. She looks at home on that picking up speed ready for the climb up to Marley Head tunnel.

Thanks.I thought you'd like that one.More to come soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No where near !

Thanks.I thought you'd like that one.More to come soon.

Thought I was on the case there! ;)

Also looking back at the photo of 7804 I've realised that she's Plymouth bound and not Totnes bound so I've changed it to Wrangaton rather than Marley Head! :D 

Keep the photos coming Robin. Also I like the figure painting of Minnie and Flora.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Re: Outside steam pipes. This is something I plan to do with one of my Bachmann praires. The steam pipes are glued into a square recess in the footplate and there is a gap between the top of the pipes and the smokebox, so removing them should not leave any gaping holes which need major plastic surgery. All one needs to do is fill the recess in the footplate which shouldn't be a major job.

There are one (and possibly two) other jobs. One is to fit a representation of the ends of the wooden baulks that were fitted behind the rear buffer beams when the extended bunkers were fitted. The rear valance (is that the right term?) will also need to be modified, but neither of these are major or even difficult tasks.

The other job depends on the particular loco you want to model. As originally built, the 45xxs had a "step down" under the front of the smokebox from the main footplate to the front section of the footplate. The great majority were rebuilt into the curved drop down that Bachmann model, but not all. This would be a rather trickier (but by no means impossible) adaptation of the Bachmann praire, but if you don't want to do it, then there are quite a few which had inside steam pipes and curved drop downs until the bitter end. 4550, which worked the Cardigan branch in BR days, was one and that's the one I'm planning to modify - I've got the plates already!

I don't know if the steam pipes on models of the 28xx and 42xx are fitted in the same way!

Very nice layout, by the way!

David C

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Re: Outside steam pipes. This is something I plan to do with one of my Bachmann praires. The steam pipes are glued into a square recess in the footplate and there is a gap between the top of the pipes and the smokebox, so removing them should not leave any gaping holes which need major plastic surgery. All one needs to do is fill the recess in the footplate which shouldn't be a major job.

There are one (and possibly two) other jobs. One is to fit a representation of the ends of the wooden baulks that were fitted behind the rear buffer beams when the extended bunkers were fitted. The rear valance (is that the right term?) will also need to be modified, but neither of these are major or even difficult tasks.

The other job depends on the particular loco you want to model. As originally built, the 45xxs had a "step down" under the front of the smokebox from the main footplate to the front section of the footplate. The great majority were rebuilt into the curved drop down that Bachmann model, but not all. This would be a rather trickier (but by no means impossible) adaptation of the Bachmann praire, but if you don't want to do it, then there are quite a few which had inside steam pipes and curved drop downs until the bitter end. 4550, which worked the Cardigan branch in BR days, was one and that's the one I'm planning to modify - I've got the plates already!

I don't know if the steam pipes on models of the 28xx and 42xx are fitted in the same way!

Very nice layout, by the way!

David C

The 42XX shouldn't represent a major problem in this respect (outside steam pipes) as provided you're prepared to overlook or alter the packing piece behind the rear bufferbeam the 5205 is effectively a 42XX without outside steampipes and is suitable for the early version of updating of the 42XX.  Safety valve covers might be a potential minefield but basically it's only the 42xx's rear bufferbeam packing piece that is missing on the 5205 as modelled by Hornby.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Was there much horse box traffic on the Kingsbridge branch?

Thats a good question Miss P and I don't have a definite answer as I've never seen a photo of any. In the Oakwood Press book it mentions dealing with livestock  [cattle] especially on market days.Modellers licence again perhaps as they do look nice attached to a coach as tail end traffic to add variety ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thats a good question Miss P and I don't have a definite answer as I've never seen a photo of any. In the Oakwood Press book it mentions dealing with livestock  [cattle] especially on market days.Modellers licence again perhaps as they do look nice attached to a coach as tail end traffic to add variety ...

A horsebox should (where possible) be shunted to the head of the train, just behind the engine.  No fine horses traveled in cattle wagons ( apart from during WW1) and cattle certainly didn't travel in horseboxes.   There is a thread about this somewhere on the Prototype forum I think. 

Outstanding modelling never the less.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Like 1