A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

The various kit built OO locos I have all seem to manage 30" curves.

Ta. Mine should but I have never bothered to test the radii on layouts they have been on! A Z that Geoff built me years ago wouldn't; he replaced the two pairs of centre drivers with flangeless! A certain Ex RMWebber had that off me at a 'friend's' price and then sold it within weeks for a substantial profit I'm sorry to say. Thank you Mr Hale (not).

The few loco's I might build will have plenty of 'give'!

P

• RMweb Premium

Would superelevation on the tighter curves help ?

Don't know! I suspect not as it is the buffer lock and loco cylinders/front bogie problem along with LWB locos' drivers jamming as there is not enough play, that are the problems. If I was clever I'd do a diagram to show that with tighter curves I can get in two actual roundy roundy loops which will allow lots of different train movements.

However it might just be overcomplicating stuff. Some other clever ar*e would gauge widen their handbuilt tight radii curves. I'm an ar8e but not clever so that won't happen.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Would superelevation on the tighter curves help ?

I think that superelevation on 4mm scale model railway is a double-edged sword of dubious practical benefit, in both an academic and culinary sense.

I'd rather have a pork pie served on a manky old paper plate at the end of Blackpool Pier.

• RMweb Gold

Blackpool has three piers ( at the last count ) and the 'pork pie' is more likely to be a Eccles cake or barm cake.

However, your non-culinary observation may have some merit, in that the silver cloud of superelevation has a black rain spot of unintended derailment.

Quackers - have you thought about a slot car race track instead ?

• RMweb Premium

Blackpool has three piers ( at the last count ) and the 'pork pie' is more likely to be a Eccles cake or barm cake.

However, your non-culinary observation may have some merit, in that the silver cloud of superelevation has a black rain spot of unintended derailment.

Quackers - have you thought about a slot car race track instead ?

Nope! I'm considering a full size replica of Heathrow though.

Anyway, good morning  post-2326-0-34485100-1439969198_thumb.jpg

I do hope Mr Saunders does not mind us sharing his lovely photo?

Quackers.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

One thing people forget is that you need a transistion into superelevation (and out of it) full size most curve have a transition into the radius so the transistion into the superelevation occurs at the same time at a natural rate. If you suddenly go from a straight to a sharp curve it is not easy to add the superelevation.

Incidently adding at least a coach length of transition to a curve can make a lot of difference to the coupling problems  a short piece of larger radius between the straight and the sharp curve will help. The strain on the coupling is greater when one vehicle is still on the straight coupled to one on the curve than when both are on the curve. An S curve where the two can be on opposite radii is even worse. That is why using the small radius turnouts for a crossover is not a good idea.

Don

• Like 1

And a goood marnin' from me.....Another trip over the Cambrian section and another year, this time 20th August 1963 approaching Portmadoc behind 43XX No. 6368. The Collett Sunshine Brake Second was maroon this time.....

post-6680-0-39725400-1439971279_thumb.jpg

Right, something DCC has just arrived by Interlink (I'll look at it later) and I'm off to cut the hedges now...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Having hijacked Rob's thread yet again can I now close the discussion on curves............................

except for these     post-2326-0-84151400-1439972458.jpg

She can sort out my transition curves anytime.

Yo.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Seeing's ANTB is set in Devon I thought I'd share a shot of 1369 trundling alongside the River Dart at Riverford Bridge on her way to Totnes.........

post-7584-0-76938100-1439974053_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

I'd rather have a pork pie served on a manky old paper plate at the end of Blackpool Pier.

And I suppose the good Captain has his own vessel to get there too !

post-20303-0-59790100-1439974069.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can't see the common & garden Tube or Open C listed. It isn't eve in my 7yr old catalogue.

I'm pretty sure that it hasn't been produced for a long time and I suspect that might be because the tools are worn out.  ',m fairly sure that it was introduced when Ratio were based in Goring which is going back about 40 years  I got one back then from a work colleague (Roger Webster) who was one of the two sons of the family and I might even have another unbuilt one lurking among some of my auction 'boxed lot' acquisitions as there seemed to be quite a few of them around a few years back.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, and good morning all - with something a bit different, a GWR 'Prepaid Newspaper Parcel' from Cardiff to Plymouth which didn't pass through Brent on its first journey but probably did on its way back to South Wales  (clearly at this stage the GWR's proper  pre-printed Airmail stamps were not yet available).

post-6859-0-20937000-1439976433_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I think that superelevation on 4mm scale model railway is a double-edged sword of dubious practical benefit, in both an academic and culinary sense.

It has no practical application other than to look nice. The paper plate on the other hand is very practical but probably looks rubbish.

• RMweb Gold

Here's one of mine built back in the eighty the other 4 are in various stages of repair new "w" iron fitted and other parts that were missing going on them.

attachicon.gifWP_20150819_13_34_44_Pro.jpg

They do make up to be a nice replica of the prototype.  Not Common User patch on as well.

Why do Ratio no longer do them? Were the moulds shot?

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Oh, and good morning all - with something a bit different, a GWR 'Prepaid Newspaper Parcel' from Cardiff to Plymouth which didn't pass through Brent on its first journey but probably did on its way back to South Wales  (clearly at this stage the GWR's proper  pre-printed Airmail stamps were not yet available).

attachicon.gifAIRMAIL 1.jpg

Interesting thanks Mike. But that inconsistency - the envelope is pre-printed "First Flight...South Wales to Devon", yet the Plymouth postmark and Monmouthshire recipient imply it was being sent the other way - does make you wonder what was going on...

Edited by brushman47544

Super Elevation..........will I achieve this as seen here on the fast, through lines? Nope. Will I get those point rodding runs sorted? Nope!

Chicken...  :mosking:

Mark out where the curve is to go........... Glue down a strip of cork..........Using an electric sander, sand a camber across it and chamfer both edges....... Lay track and ballast and watch your friends modeling in P4 go green with envy seeing as they never did it haha......

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thanks Mike. But that inconsistency - the envelope is pre-printed "First Flight...South Wales to Devon", yet the Plymouth postmark and Monmouthshire recipient imply it was being sent the other way - does make you wonder what was going on...

From other examples I think it's quite straightforward - he sent the letter to himself posting it with the GWR in South Wales for the Airmail service and it was then posted back to him after it arrived in Plymouth.  It seems to have been quite usual for first day cover  collectors to do things like that.  

The other thing is of course that any letter sent with the Railway Air Mail Service had then to be posted in a Post Office letter box (or probably taken direct to a sorting office) where the Royal Mail postage stamp on it had to be cancelled by franking before the letter went into the normal post to be delivered.  Thus they should carry a railway issue 3p stamp (a Prepaid Parcel Stamp in this instance, an RAS Letter Mail stamp once they were available) and a 1.5d Royal mail stamp for delivery - this is no different from the situation with ordinary Railway Letter stamps as continued right into the BR era - more info here -

http://www.railwayphilatelicgroup.co.uk/railway-letter-and-parcels-stamps/railway-letter-and-parcels-stamps.html