A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I'm only kidding, Cap'n. Actually they do look sharp but I'm an old sentimental train spotter who lives in the past over here and its all these pictures that keep reminding me.

Brian.

• Like 1

I hope the St Johns team were on hand to revive the poor woman after that incident?

Rob, Argyle were sh1te so no beer next season sadly.

OK. Prototype fact........ Spams, and unrebuilt ones in particular, sounded like old fashioned bog cisterns refilling when they were standing and with the Injectors running.

If a DCC Sound Chip for a 'Spam' does not replicate that then it is carp.

Philth.

Sounds fishy.....

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob, I don't know how I missed TMS / Chris, I've met him several times, and he only lives down the Road from me, hahah, Sorry Chris. :no: need to go to SS in the morning. :stinker:

No good seeing me, I will be on a train back to a green and pleasant land in the morning, my annual pilgrimage to Railex and beer sampling being over for another year.

SS.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Actually, Robin, I really don't mind. I know you'll do a good job, too. Just don't give the job to Grahame!

I really like the look of the lined BR black with the crimson & cream coaches, always a favourite livery combination for me (sorry Brian in USA!).

For the avoidance of doubt, my "Agree" referred to the livery combination, not to bgman.

• RMweb Gold

How quaint to put oil lamps on the front of a Bulleid - no need, it has electric lamps!, possibly Southern Electric lamps? ... okay I've gone too far.

Glenn

The electric lamps were only used during the hour of darkness, hence the Southern using headsignal disks (or lamps occasionally) during daylight hours even on those locos fitted with electric lamps.

I added the lamps to 21C149 showing the express passenger code although some of the crew familisation turns were on a local stopping passenger so a single lamp in the top position would also have been suitable.

• RMweb Premium

A final few for today sees a return to more of the beautiful model 21C149 arriving.

attachicon.gifDSCN8508.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8510.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8511.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8512.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8513.jpg

Dear Andy Y, please can we have a "super like" button, something akin to the golden buzzer on Britain's Got Talent?

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

More shots of the Captains Hall.

attachicon.gifDSCN8542.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8549.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8550.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN8551.jpg

I'm glad the SR driver has learned the route, and it's good to see a Swindon product again : as has been said before- everything looks good in your setting of Brent - even a black Hall, and the visiting B o B which was beautifully weathered. I am now addicted to BrentWatch.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you're going for wartime black, wouldn't the cab side windows need plating over?

I assumed that the plates were removed after the war and the loco not always repainted?

Edited by john dew

You would think so, but I know I've seen at least one photo where that wasn't the case (of course I can't for the life of me find it....)

I think there's a photo of this in the Part 1 of Ian Sixsmith's Book of the Hall 4-6-0s - it's my justification for getting a Grange put into wartime black but with an unplated window. I suspect this was a fairly common sight in 46-47 as window plates seem to have been removed quite quickly while repaints would have taken longer to come around. It's obviously hard to tell green from black in a lot of photos from the period, especially under the usual grime. If I've got the right book in mind, I think Ian Sixsmith must have worked out that the Hall was still in wartime black from its service record.

Also put in the man bag yesterday was this Bachmann Hall kindly loaned to this thread by the venerable Captain Kernow.I think this is my first black WR engine to grace the layout, thanks CK.

attachicon.gifDSCN8527.jpg

Someone appears to have put that Hall in LNWR livery! (that nice Mr Collett would throw a wobbly) ... what?, 'British Railways'?, no, never heard of such a thing.

Seriously (for Brent!), it looks good but it doesn't look right, not to my eyes anyway. GW 4-6-0s are supposed to be green!

Glenn in soggy Portsmouth

• RMweb Gold

Someone appears to have put that Hall in LNWR livery! (that nice Mr Collett would throw a wobbly) ... what?, 'British Railways'?, no, never heard of such a thing.

Seriously (for Brent!), it looks good but it doesn't look right, not to my eyes anyway. GW 4-6-0s are supposed to be green!

Glenn in soggy Portsmouth

I'll let you do one for me after your summer siesta.

post-126-0-84116600-1464717554_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-18586300-1464717575_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-39972500-1464717593_thumb.jpg

and weather these...

post-126-0-09984600-1464717611_thumb.jpg

• Like 18