A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Problem A was that the firebox stays were wrongly dimensioned, problem B was the gauge glass shutoff if wrongly handled could give you a false indication of water level. Either one could lead to an almighty bang.

Presumably, like many US locos, they lacked a fusible plug?

• RMweb Gold

Could this be a nostalgic last view of Tigley engine shed, due to be rebuilt in Q22 of 1947?

No clues but if I was Hornby it might be stated as expected in the first quarter.

• RMweb Premium

Presumably, like many US locos, they lacked a fusible plug?

On the USA s160 280s, they did come fitted with a fusible plug, but this was found unsatisfactory and replaced in Britain. The Italians had them the longest in Western Europe, and did a thorough replacement of this. In passing, while looking this up, it struck me that one noteworthy feature which would be appreciated was that they came with rocking grates, as this must have been about the first British train crews would have used this. (All the “Big Four” had some of these engines before they went to France)

• RMweb Gold

Great set of images, Rob.

Bachmann have really nailed these.

Once again I can see a Pre-war Southern BLT coming your way.......

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

S160s.....beasts. I wonder if they were any good?

P

Yes, no, maybe.  I made a right pr*tt of myself on one on the Mid Hants some years ago because I completely misjudged the position of the firebars so having thought I'd done a good job filling the 'box I had given myself a fairly thin fire which got wrecked in fairly short order when doing a bit of uphill work so unscheduled stop to rebuild it.  So thing to watch if you ever get on one with the shovel in your hands - the firebars aren't all that far below the firebox door.

I knew quite a lot of Western men who\d worked on them during the war and some had a very low opinion of them - the rocking grate was considered a great idea and very helpful, until you got the lever in the wrong position and dumped most of the fire on some poor unsuspecting goods loop; the gauge glass was hated and of course misreading it led to some nasty incidents, and the brake was considered to be a bit dodgy but I think that basically meant not having a good tender handbrake.  But they could pull according to some. 

Almost all of them I saw in Poland in the 1970s had been relegated to shed pilots although i did see one working a freight, not a very heavy freight.  The tender bogies seemed to have become quite popular for putting underneath the tenders on P8s (to use their proper name).

• RMweb Gold

They look stunning, did any make it out to devon on LSWR/GWR territory?  I need an excuse to buy them

An usual reliable source on Southern coaching matters couldn't assist me here but I doubt very much. They're not mine but they look superb and Bachmann should be congratulated on them.

They look stunning, did any make it out to devon on LSWR/GWR territory?  I need an excuse to buy them

I have a photo showing a Birdcage set at Yeovil Pen Mill with an M7 in the late 1940s. At the opposite platform face was a GWR Saint on a down stopper to Weymouth - what a delightful combination of motive power and stock!  But I have no idea if the Birdcage set was a regular working or a one off.

Gerry

• Like 2

I must say the printing/painting quality is first rate looking at the pictures when you enlarge them.

Standards have been set very high by Bachmann.

Almost would seem sacrilege to weather them!! 

• Like 1