A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Keeping topical, are there any caves on/in Dartmoor?

If you like Greater Horseshoe Bats then the caves at Buckfastleigh could be the place for you and only 8 or so miles from Brent:

post-9751-0-89855600-1531263914.jpg

First planes and now bats.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ask and you will receive ;)

AW Whitley..

attachicon.gifwhitely_o2.jpg

Avro Lancaster B.I (FE)

attachicon.gifLancaster_48.jpg

Avro Shackleton MR.2 (okay not a bomber - but it's lineage definitely is)

attachicon.gifShackleton60.jpg

And these two are waiting in the wings..

Avro Lancaster B.II (Radial Engines)

attachicon.gifIMG_5685.jpg

Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) Dambusters

attachicon.gifDambuster_01.jpg

How do you get those boxes in the wings of those other kits?

Dr. Who

Keeping topical, are there any caves on/in Dartmoor?

There certainly is, Pridhamsleigh Cavern on the outskirts of Ashburton.

I went with a group many years ago and got absolutely filthy, covered in mud from head to toe but good fun.

Its a place for experienced cavers and not one to be tackled alone for obvious reasons.

It was my very first time and although not a caver myself, it was a worthwhile experience.

G

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this reference to a show in Paignton - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135625-paignton-summer-show-2018-august-11-12/&do=findComment&comment=3227962

Most interesting.

Unfortunately it's the same weekend as RailWells, which for me will always take priority over other shows in the district. Although both are on over two days, I regret that it is not possible for me to obtain a two-day pass for such activities.

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this reference to a show in Paignton - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/135625-paignton-summer-show-2018-august-11-12/&do=findComment&comment=3227962

Most interesting.

Unfortunately it's the same weekend as RailWells, which for me will always take priority over other shows in the district. Although both are on over two days, I regret that it is not possible for me to obtain a two-day pass for such activities.

I gave it thought to do both SWMBO and I are staying in Wonky Hole for 2 nights so I can do the Wells show and her can do the shops I think I would be pushing my luck with

the addition drive to Paignton and back, shame we normally stay at Staverton that time of year.

I know that venue well and it’s literally a stones throw from Goodrington Sands station and Happy Valley.

With good eyesight, and standing roughly where the leisure centre is now, 58 years ago in the summer of 1960 you might just have caught a rare sighting of a King (6002 King William IV) "on shed" taking water at the "new" Goodrington servicing facilities.

post-9751-0-22019000-1531317933.jpg

(L.F. Folkard)

I think sightings of Kings on the Kingswear Branch would be relatively rare by 1960 as the plum jobs would be in the hands of Warships by then.

At least the turntable was rescued and re-installed at Churston...

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Most interesting.

I have given this matter some thought on your behalf and reached a simple conclusion.  On the day, of the two, on which you are not at RailWells you will 'find' an urgent need to quickly get hold of something critical to whatever project you will be undertaking - this might involve having to drive to somebody else's house in order to borrow it (only to find they were out and had taken the item with them so you then had to go on to XXXX) or if it was something you were purchasing the first place you tried didn't have any left so instead of going all the way to Plymouth you decided to try a shop you know in Torbay but after having to park some way away due to the holiday crowds, which meant a long walk and, well time just vanished - you know how these things are.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Whilst at the Great Yorkshire Show today saw some mighty fine South Devon Red cattle...Would these be suitable for the Brent area in the late 1940’s?

By the way a farmer & his Old Spots from Liskeard came first in breed in the judging ring...St. Piran’s flags adorned his stalls proudly...

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have given this matter some thought on your behalf and reached a simple conclusion.  On the day, of the two, on which you are not at RailWells you will 'find' an urgent need to quickly get hold of something critical to whatever project you will be undertaking - this might involve having to drive to somebody else's house in order to borrow it (only to find they were out and had taken the item with them so you then had to go on to XXXX) or if it was something you were purchasing the first place you tried didn't have any left so instead of going all the way to Plymouth you decided to try a shop you know in Torbay but after having to park some way away due to the holiday crowds, which meant a long walk and, well time just vanished - you know how these things are.

Ask Spammers for some tips........try the old 'tiling stuff needed' ploy....