A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Although an old photo of this area the problem of my water sloping is still there. Any ideas on how to make the area flatter before colouring and adding the 'water' product.

attachicon.gifpost-126-0-72225200-1376588052.jpg

Looks great Robin,

Water does run up slopes on beaches.  It's only Weston-Super-Mud that has a flat beach - tide rises by an inch and comes in by a mile.

• RMweb Gold

Although an old photo of this area the problem of my water sloping is still there. Any ideas on how to make the area flatter before colouring and adding the 'water' product.

This could be one of those 'leave well alone' moments.

• RMweb Gold

post-126-0-72225200-1376588052.jpg

What product did you use?

Woodland Scenics deep pour water is supposed to self level and can be poored up to half an inch at a time

• RMweb Gold

Could you post a few more shots so I can get a clearer idea of the problem.......it may be my eyes,I am very old, but your shot looked fine to me.

Pining for a 1361 in Vancouver

John

• RMweb Gold

What product did you use?

Woodland Scenics deep pour water is supposed to self level and can be poored up to half an inch at a time

I went the pva varnish route but perhaps the lack of depth is the problem.

Could it be the tide surging up the beach?

To further enhance leave a reasonable gap and apply another band of water to represent additional wave coming in!

It's the baseboard edge side I'm not happy with.

• RMweb Premium

Southend is somewhat similar.

I live with the bumpkins in Norf Essex - Sarfend is Cockerny gangsta territory so we never go down there in daylight.............it's a different world.  

Have been to see a few bands at Westbourne though - a place best viewed at night       (:

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif

post-126-0-97291400-1532545531_thumb.jpg

ANTB is nigh on faultless in my opinion.  If you were determined to alter this scene, is it possible to lose the baseboard edge?  

Could this spar/plank be flipped 180 degrees below or even done away with and bracing to compensate applied elsewhere?

The edge reminds me of the Moehne Dam before the Ladies Auxilliary Balloon Corps visited.

And now I'm thinking of that brilliant Carling advert:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I did think of that but underneath is where I enter the railway room and I'm always banging my head. No support here would be disastrous.

• RMweb Gold

Could you post a few more shots so I can get a clearer idea of the problem.......it may be my eyes,I am very old, but your shot looked fine to me.

I've bitten the bullet and made a start by applying 30mm strips of Modroc to build up the layers gradually.

post-126-0-00683500-1532596276_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-09724900-1532596297_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Re your water problem, no not that one, the beach one.

I've found these products to be rather good in the past and intend to use them on my next project.

Here's a useful video for anyone considering using them.

G

• RMweb Premium

A flat metal plate screwed underneath instead - would stop it flexing if the strip/plate were 3mm thick.

But then you would require a Bob The Builder hat every time you entered and exited Brent  

bob-the-builder1-297x430.jpg

You could buy some thinking time by using  the "Dawlish" whale as a temporary view blocker/visual distraction......

post-9751-0-87614000-1532600146.jpg

But you would have to dispose of it after a few days, before it gets smelly, as the August 1947 weather forecast is for hot sunny spells.

(Poor old whale)

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon delight.

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gif3.jpg

Morning temptation for me!

Just like you I have to mind my head as I duck under water although in my case its a mucky canal.

Dont know if you have sorted your new water supply yet? I used Magic Water for my canal and it was excellent and I believe Rick ( Gwiwer) used it for the very effective surf in his Penhayle Bay layout.

Best wishes

John

• RMweb Gold

post-54-0-71269100-1532291900.jpeg

This was done with the woodland scenics deep poor water, using the brown version. They also do a clear version and blue tint for sea.

They also have a second product for making waves. There are a couple of videos on the woodland scenics website which show the process

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2018/post-54-0-71269100-1532291900.jpeg

This was done with the woodland scenics deep poor water, using the brown version. They also do a clear version and blue tint for sea.

They also have a second product for making waves. There are a couple of videos on the woodland scenics website which show the process

Not cheap but I like the idea of buying the clear version and the murky tint to give a lighter colour than the full murky brown version. Today, I've also used WS realistic water on the water edges ,also on the sand /rocks and plan to add some white foam here too using the Vallejo product recommended by Grahame [bGman]. Photos of progress tomorrow.

Edited by gwrrob
  • Like 1