A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Anyone with that taste needs to be stripped naked and slapped on the backside with a wet kipper. :jester:

First you must choose your weapon fish very carefully !

post-20303-0-57681500-1547739387.jpg

F.Monger

Taken up fishing have you Rob ?. :biggrin_mini2:

Apparently so, only trouble is he seems to end up with a Walrus when he goes out !  :O

post-20303-0-23674400-1547742274_thumb.jpg

J.R.Hardly-Abite

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now then, you GWR types.  I rather fancy buying a BR(W) Castle.  Ideally, a double chimney with Hawksworth tender because I have weird taste...

Anyone with that taste needs to be stripped naked and slapped on the backside with a wet kipper. :jester:

No, he'd enjoy it far too much. :nono:

• RMweb Gold

One of these might be more useful. :read:

38-801_3140585_Qty1_cat.jpg

Stop tempting me.....

I really want one, but the question is do I want it more than a rake of Comet kits or two locos (not to mention the cost of the tool vans etc to go with it.

Going to have a look through the redundant modern stock and see if I have a couple of items that will cover it.....

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone make the tool vans that go with it ? Could be a nice project for TMC.

Current production I think no, I think it was in the Mallard range and possibly Falcon Brassworks as well?

Though I guess each crane probably had different coaches

Edited by The Fatadder

• RMweb Premium

Going to have a look through the redundant modern stock and see if I have a couple of items that will cover it.....

I did that exercise as soon as it was announced,and I feel all the better for it.

You will too............

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone make the tool vans that go with it ? Could be a nice project for TMC.

The "support vehicles" seem to differ for each crane and each time frame.

Some people have painstakingly re-created the support coaches for cranes in our period, but they seem to be scratch built.  The originals were certainly "one-offs" or "two-offs" at best.

I don't currently have the time to scratch build the right Mess van etc, so have already re-painted a Triang clerestory in grey, as have others, for the sole purpose of adding to the crane.

It all depends how much you want to lie awake at night worrying about accuracy..........

• RMweb Premium

I have had an idea for some time that breakdown consists were very much a product of the boss at the time.  Vans, and possibly a coal 5 plank on some but not on others.  Some in GWR days had the purpose built Mess Vans, and tool vans, and some were I guess often just re-purposed GS vans and an old clerestory. 

There is an excellent post war film of OOC and it includes a very brief shot of the breakdown train being marshaled.  I would have thought that it was always "ready" but obviously not.  A few sources say that the crane was always in steam 24/7 so as to be "ready" but there were obviously maintenance periods and washouts etc, just like an engine.  The OOC consist in the late 40s included an "Open C" for presumably coal for the crane and packing timbers.  I have not seen that with the other GW crane photos.

In summary - you can probably get away with all sorts in a crane consist.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In a lot of cases, if you had a crane call out, you needed to work out when you arrived at the breakdown site, whether you needed the jib leading or trailing, so in the case of the OOC crane marshalling, it might involve a trip round the Greenford loop. Riding vehicles were usually old hand me down coaches converted, and they could suffer. The worse I’ve seen involved a runaway with tank cars loaded with 3500’ oil, runny when it’s hot, which this was, but having leaked out through fractured pipes, it cooled to the consistency of tar. It happened to be snowing as well, which hid the leakage. By the time that had been sorted out, the gang needed oilskins replacing and a new riding van.

• RMweb Premium

I fully understand the part about Greenford triangle to turn these beasts, but I would have thought that the jobs based out of OOC would need it always to be facing "jib West". 

I am ready to be corrected/educated/etc

• RMweb Premium

A few sources say that the crane was always in steam 24/7 so as to be "ready" but there were obviously maintenance periods and washouts etc, just like an engine.

Cranes were indeed kept in light steam all the time. If they were out of service for any reason such as maintenance then Control would arrange cover by neighbouring cranes.

• RMweb Premium

I fully understand the part about Greenford triangle to turn these beasts, but I would have thought that the jobs based out of OOC would need it always to be facing "jib West". 

If the derailed vehicle(s) were at the western end of a train then the crane might well need to be "jib East". Yes, the jib could be slewed through 360 degrees but one end was always easier to work with than the other.

• RMweb Premium

More often than not, the derailment involved something off on points in a yard leading to deadend sidings. Thankfully, incidents out on the running lines were much rarer. Then if you’re looking at Acton Yard or Southall sidings, for instance, it’s which way the sidings are facing. Also, you need the match truck behind you out of the way of the lift. Then you raise the crane, turn the jib round, and you’re close to your lift.

• RMweb Premium

More often than not, the derailment involved something off on points in a yard leading to deadend sidings. Thankfully, incidents out on the running lines were much rarer. Then if you’re looking at Acton Yard or Southall sidings, for instance, it’s which way the sidings are facing. Also, you need the match truck behind you out of the way of the lift. Then you raise the crane, turn the jib round, and you’re close to your lift.

In my experience it was quite common to lift the match truck out of the way to improve the lift. The challenge with slewing the jib to face the other way was often the rear overhang.