A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think it's a lovely chimney, as is that of the other, kit-built Castle.

Don't listen to 'em, Robin!

Could have been a whole lot worse Rob ! :laugh:

replica-of-locomotion-no.jpg.82fe96b01a6ace25c479745f3dd8abfe.jpg

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I bet that makes you feel nostalgic as they were around when you were in short trousers Grahame.

Aye time were reet ard in them days but it didn't do me n me mates any 'arm I tell thee !

4414725d827f7d2e8a49906a85a97911--poor-children-rich-kids.jpg.8114c13ec98911c05287765ddb9089af.jpg 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, bgman said:

Aye time were reet ard in them days but it didn't do me n me mates any 'arm I tell thee !

4414725d827f7d2e8a49906a85a97911--poor-children-rich-kids.jpg.8114c13ec98911c05287765ddb9089af.jpg 

That's kids after Breakshit that is...………………………….

Yes, I know...…………….

I've banned myself already

Ar$£ 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Isn’t tender braking something tht drivers learn to use in consideration for passenger comfort?

Something that was not taught to motormen in their EMUs on the Southern.

Nothing like a sharp application of the brakes to wake up the commuters as to inform them they are home.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Under Sir Herbert Walker the development of the 3rd rail electrification scheme was based on the principles of rapid acceleration and braking to maximise system capacity, along with a regular interval service that punters could easily understand.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

Under Sir Herbert Walker the development of the 3rd rail electrification scheme was based on the principles of rapid acceleration and braking to maximise system capacity, along with a regular interval service that punters could easily understand.

What was his favourite colour?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Nothing like a sharp application of the brakes to wake up the commuters as to inform them they are home.

It was easier to be smooth in later designs with self-lapping EP brakes. The straight Westinghouse brake needed care to be smooth - and as a former guard put it to me, some drivers never did acquire the knack.   

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

What was his favourite colour?

Green, obviously :)

I think his contribution to the development of London and the South East, through the provision of a fast, clean transport system is somewhat overlooked. I recommend "Sir Herbert Walker's Southern Railway" by C.F.Clapper

A Londonboy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

It was easier to be smooth in later designs with self-lapping EP brakes. The straight Westinghouse brake needed care to be smooth - and as a former guard put it to me, some drivers never did acquire the knack.   

Drivers were required to use the Westinghouse brake from time-to-time to ensure that they remained familiar with it in case the EP failed for any reason. Although, as Ian says, some never quite got the knack, others regarded it as a source of pride to stop smoothly in the right place using the Westinghouse and without changing the position of the brake handle until the final few yards.

• Informative/Useful 1