A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

4 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thank you.

And in the meantime, here is a nice photograph taken in sunny Devon a few days ago:

Ahhhh…….so peaceful and tranquil...…

now if that is where the naughty step is I suspect there will be a que..

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

CK on the Naughty Step? Whatever next - UK leaving EU? Sheesh the world is rotten. 

That would be like Wales beating England in the rugby. ...............oh....hang on.......

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This week they'll be a few new items to grace these pages, one of these is thanks to a follower of this thread giving me both an Ebay tip off and the info of their use in '47.  I hadn't realised they were usable in small numbers in the summer of '47.Given to the master weathering guru, here's a sneak preview of something rather nice.

2025287030_hawksworthbtk(2).jpg.92987177123f8823b449c721036440a5.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I am really looking forward to seeing these in Brent. They certainly pose a close coupling challenge unless the corridor connecters are shortened. 

I'm hoping Kadee 19s or 20s do the job.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

This week they'll be a few new items to grace these pages, one of these is thanks to a follower of this thread giving me both an Ebay tip off and the info of their use in '47.  I hadn't realised they were usable in small numbers in the summer of '47.Given to the master weathering guru, here's a sneak preview of something rather nice.

2025287030_hawksworthbtk(2).jpg.92987177123f8823b449c721036440a5.jpg

Assuming this is what I think it is.....thats good news....I hadnt realised they were used in 1947......I added some G crest W transfers and a lot of weathering ( it is the grimy north ) and applied Rule 1.

Where were they used Rob?

Looking forward to seeing the photos

Cheers

John

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, john dew said:

Where were they used Rob?

Apparently a few were used on the down Riviera and other trains in the west in '47. The recent released coaching book lists examples including the brake third and all third.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Beat me to it Rob...

One of the 1947 Riveria sets contained 3 Hawksworth break thirds and 3 all thirds.  (The latter being the hard one to find 2nd hand).  In addition I have seen a couple of other punishes photos including a single third or and break third in a late 1947 service to the south west. 

i have also seen a photo of an all third in 1947 at Chester.  

There is a popular myth that the Hawksworth coaches are of no use to great western modellers.  However for those of us modelling 1947 they are very useful.  I wish I had known this when the were being sold off cheaply.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

To get buffer to buffer coupling on my Hawksworth coaches I sliced the corridor connecters back level with the buffer heads and used inverted short Roco couplings. Mind you I have to slam the coaches together to engage the coupling. Not a popular manoeuvre in the Ist class compartments!

5865FBE0-A82C-44BF-B6B5-1FB8184A31FC.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Is that a webbus Camus or were you actually there Mr Corridor Composite?

Ar$£

I didn't take that photograph.

Mr C. Water posted that photograph.

We have every reason to believe, with the current state of our scientific knowledge, that he was actually present when he took that photograph. We further believe that he was also present at his computer or other device when he personally posted that photograph on this thread.

I didn't take that photograph.

Someone else took that photograph.

I wasn't there.

It was someone else.

And that's the truth and no mistake there, Guv'nor.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1