A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Nice link Robin - lovely shot of a 94XX on the Shrewsbury breakdown train in among those on that  set of pages.

Thanks.

Any news from Bachmann@ AP about a date for 94XX?

Edited by M.I.B
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Any news from Bachmann@ AP about a date for 94XX?

With Bachmann it's anyone's guess but it does look like it'll be worth waiting for.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Looks like it could be heading for the Caterpillar!

It is actually an interesting working. I think it is 7 Maunsells and a Bulleid (possibly Dining Vehicle?) but it isn't clear. Probably an excursion but I can't see clearly the lamps and there is no headboard or chalked train ID number , so possibly empty stock?

Mystery.

P

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

It is actually an interesting working. I think it is 7 Maunsells and a Bulleid (possibly Dining Vehicle?) but it isn't clear. Probably an excursion but I can't see clearly the lamps and there is no headboard or chalked train ID number , so possibly empty stock?

Mystery.

P

Looks like Class A/Class 1 lamps Phil, so I'm with you on an excursion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Mystery.

P

Agree...a return excursion working which it would have worked as far as NA. Then forward with SR loco ( N 2-6-0 or Bulleid light Pacific ) return to destination  such as Plymouth Friary /North Devon via Meldon ...or even via Dainton and Brent.The 94XX were more than capable of shifting such loads for short distances as The Johnster has reminded us on another thread.....e.g.Cheltenham-Paddington turns as far as Gloucester Central.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Looks like Class A/Class 1 lamps Phil, so I'm with you on an excursion.

Perhaps the excursion is one of those slightly weird excursions that the SR used to run occasionally from places like Torrington to Kingswear and Totnes  incorporating a River Dart cruise, which would require re-positioning the ECS to pick up the excursionists at the end of the river cruise.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, cary hill said:

Perhaps the excursion is one of those slightly weird excursions that the SR used to run occasionally from places like Torrington to Kingswear and Totnes  incorporating a River Dart cruise, which would require re-positioning the ECS to pick up the excursionists at the end of the river cruise.

Now that is a goody as I had not heard of those. Such fun. Of course, it could be something weird like a football special from up Kent (Gillingham?) to Torquay for United? More likely to be an Eastern Division Maunsell excursion set for that. SR South coast teams would have probably had MK1s and/or Bulleids. Be great if we could date the picture in some way (hint, hint).

I always had a soft spot for the chunky WR 0.6.0. tanks, especially the 1500s, but these beasts were great IMO.

Phil

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There was an excursion from Bere Alston to Goodrington Sands in June '62 and there's a photo of it in one of the late, great Peter Gray's album.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

There was an excursion from Bere Alston to Goodrington Sands in June '62 and there's a photo of it in one of the late, great Peter Gray's album.

There is another Peter Gray photo of a similar excursion working in "Past and Present Special The Paignton & Dartmouth Steam Railway" (P.W. Gray  - Past and Present Publishing ).

It shows 2-6-2T 5178 running bunker first piloting West Country Pacific 34033 'Chard' through Kingkerswell station on the return leg of a River Dart cruise excursion and is dated 26 June 1959.

The excursion originated from Torrington and had dropped it's passengers off at Totnes earlier that day and then returned ECS to NA. The ECS was then taken from NA to Kingswear by King Class 6016 which then returned the train to Paignton for 5178 and 34033 to take over for the rest of the return journey

(per Trains Illustrated August 1959)

- anorak mode off........

Edited by cary hill
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Tex 'n' Taz said:

Some beautiful photos on page 1387 Rob, love the new trees as well.  Never tier of the South Hams and beautiful green locomotives. 

Thanks and talking of beautiful green locomotives it's been a year today since 5071 was rescued from her sorry weathering state to this. Later in the week she will be rostered on my Hawksworth coaches.;)

504735132_5071A(2).JPG.f9cf15aa16dd4880cff3eee06dda7a95.JPG

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks and talking of beautiful green locomotives it's been a year today since 5071 was rescued from her sorry weathering state to this. Later in the week she will be rostered on my Hawksworth coaches.;)

504735132_5071A(2).JPG.f9cf15aa16dd4880cff3eee06dda7a95.JPG

Just not this set of 'Modified' Hawksworths ;)

HWBK_1783_rh.jpg.df7ef04b065a332d964173c14e0df9f9.jpg

HWTK782_lh.jpg.1895e3e07c914249f417cbafcaf47908.jpg

HWCK_7253_lhran.jpg.7208b095fd33d3954dcd3191e150aa1e.jpg

HWFK_8001_rh.jpg.1787cbb6c3a9381bc5a2417545f1ef12.jpg

HWBCK_7372_lhran.jpg.0e37284d733211a34085154933656ec4.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I wouldn't have thought there were enough folk in Bere Alston to fill 6 carriages...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I wouldn't have thought there were enough folk in Bere Alston to fill 6 carriages...

At least the locals still have their railway station.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

G'day Rob,
I'm quite sure that they will make a classic looking express passenger train.

At least you have some all 3rd's in the rake. That rescure of Spitfire was well worth it. 

I don't think that there is much demand for my three 1st's and one brake 3rd as is my situation, but I personally love these coaches.

Tex.

(sorry about the poor lighting) 

DSCF4720.jpg.349e1baa6cabfaa8d2285f2cae24c865.jpg  

Edited by Tex 'n' Taz
wrong loco named.
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Would it have gone that way or via Okehampton (serious question)?

I honestly don't know Saint. I was applying commercial thinking to your question rather than actual knowledge. If I had an excursion to sell with six coaches I would certainly route it via Plymouth and sell it from there. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

If it went via Okehampton it could serve Exeter St Davids. But all these journeys seem a great way round compared to a coach operator going cross-country. In 1960 - or was it ‘61? - I made my first visit to Plymouth on a day coach trip from Port Isaac. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1