A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just searched my Norman Lockett. Nary a faint whisper of one freight tank.

True, but I guess we should allow for a possible bias towards passenger trains on the part of Mr Lockett and his contemporaries (Maurice Earley is an honourable exception).  Of the pre-war pictures in the 1934-49 Lockett volume, 77 are of passenger trains, only about 9 of freights.  But the west country isn't a highly industrialised area and for all I know this might reflect reality?  

John C.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, checkrail said:

True, but I guess we should allow for a possible bias towards passenger trains on the part of Mr Lockett and his contemporaries (Maurice Earley is an honourable exception).  Of the pre-war pictures in the 1934-49 Lockett volume, 77 are of passenger trains, only about 9 of freights.  But the west country isn't a highly industrialised area and for all I know this might reflect reality?  

John C.

His postwar photos tell a different story though with freight around his home ground near Weston super Mare.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, checkrail said:

John C.

According to my timetable which details everything passing through Brent in the spring of 1947 (excluding branchline services).  There were 93 workings through Brent (combination of Up and Down).  Of which there were 39 freight workings, 2 milk trains and 4 parcels trains.  So just over 40% of trains through Brent would be Freight, and a further 6% would be NPCCS.

If you were to further limit that to the hours between 8am and 8pm, there were 54 trains of which 19 were freight, along with the 2 milk and one parcels.  So 35% would be freight. 

I think from that its clear that there must either have been an attitude that freight trains were not worth the film, or that the photos were less likely to be saved from the photographers estates.

Fortunately some do survive (including a good photo of 7250) 

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Trains Illustrated is a great source for weird workings!!!!!!!!!!! problem is the time it takes to go through the damn things!

P

IIRC it was entitled “ Motive Power Miscellany “ . Who were these intrepid lineside spies ? Dumped most of my originals .Well they take up space don’t they ?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A Hall still in wartime black, 5998 Trevor Hall , passes with a inter-regional parcels heading west. This is one of my favourite workings as the stock is of decent quality. LMS CCT's,LNER full brake and SR PLV's amongst others.

339354153_DSCN5433(2).JPG.cb03fe484e64750fd8097f02fe20332b.JPG449996568_DSCN5434(2).JPG.0485506971cd903d8d680d424537f73d.JPG301470883_DSCN5435(2).JPG.1de549f9299310ad2adcc12dd158c56d.JPG617538182_DSCN5436(2).JPG.9500ec2ce63637445775c1da75872a85.JPG1354997992_DSCN5437(2).JPG.6f534544ffa9dd9751ad45944fe3ed2a.JPG

Wishing Trevor Hall - a Happy First Birthday (and a belated one for the LMS CCT ;) )

Where did that year go? :O

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Its about time for Rob to backdate  ANTB what with all the newbuilds coming down the line.  Go back a bit and there could be Saints or Bulldogs passing through Brent while keeping most of the stock already around.  One of the new Halls with a Bulldog on the point would be eminently prototypical:excl:

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Its about time for Rob to backdate  ANTB what with all the newbuilds coming down the line.  Go back a bit and there could be Saints or Bulldogs passing through Brent while keeping most of the stock already around.  One of the new Halls with a Bulldog on the point would be eminently prototypical:excl:

Brian.

Go back a bit?

i have seen a photo of a Saint at Exeter in 47, while Bulldogs are the desperately needed given that you would find one on the front of practically every express through Brent in 47 (on top of which I’ve also seen a dated photo of a curved frame bulldog on a freight.

No need to go earlier, though it does require a fair bit of kit building to get them.   The only reason I still haven’t got a bulldog kit is that I need at least 3 of them and the price of wheels and motors etc on top of the kit scares me!

(so instead I am stretching to 1948 and building an A4 to run on the loco exchanges...)

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/05/2019 at 09:29, Ian Hargrave said:

Pen Mill or Junction ?  Unlikely in the former and never in the latter. 

Definitely through Yeovil Pen Mill - I have photos of them at Dorchester West and Weymouth and a note of 7202 at Maiden Newton. You can never say never but very, very unlikely at Yeovil Junction though.

Gerry 

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Back further then with a Churchward County coming; Dukes galore, an Aberdare or two?:)  Too bad about the more modern stock:cray_mini: but that would only be a Collett County or a Mod Hall, perhaps.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Bulwell Hall said:

Definitely through Yeovil Pen Mill - I have photos of them at Dorchester West and Weymouth and a note of 7202 at Maiden Newton. You can never say never but very, very unlikely at Yeovil Junction though.

Gerry 

I'd be interested in the date of your photo Gerry as 7202 was shedded at Newport Ebbw Junc ,Gloucester and Severn TJ in GWR days.

• Like 1