A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Bl**dy foreign holidays, doesn't anyone holiday in this country anymore.:read:  I also think there should be tax breaks for people who holiday in this country, especially the West Country.;)

English Tourist Board.

There should indeed be tax breaks...considering the amount of fuel duty raised in long crawls to the West in the silly season......especially on Fridays now reclassified as Changeover Day.Pity our rail network can no longer cope with demand.Oh for the days of “Holiday Haunts “...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Bl**dy foreign holidays, doesn't anyone holiday in this country anymore.:read:  I also think there should be tax breaks for people who holiday in this country, especially the West Country.;)

English Tourist Board.

They do, they come on holiday where I live. Now when traveling anywhere I give myself 15 to 30 minutes "tractor time" it is rural and farming is the main industry. It is when I arrive late because of the caravan I have been stuck behind..................."How about going to the West Country for your holiday?"

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

However....another bit of thread drift. Been in the “Sunny South” for a couple of days. Glorious weather,the Sussex Weald lovely to behold. Homeward from Chichester,through Petworth and Chiddingfold,villages looking like images on a biscuit tin sparking in fresh sunshine. Worth the subsequent Friday grind on the M25/40/42.

Yes Robin.We are fortunate in our land in all its variety. Now the weather is on song. Soon the roads will be stuffed again. But everything comes at a price I suppose.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

English Tourist Board.

since younger son was born, we’ve mostly holidayed in the UK.  For some reason, the idea of a flight with a baby and a five year old did not appeal.  We did go abroad in May and was in stark contrast to the simplicity of throwing everything in the car.  Downside is the M5... PLus side is I can usually manipulate the journey to find somewhere with trains to break the journey!  Our summer stay in Beer will allow for a trip to Taunton for the WSR...

David 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

My sister, c 5 years, was convinced that any car journey had to involve a level crossing and a stop to look round a station.  No parking fees then!

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

since younger son was born, we’ve mostly holidayed in the UK.  For some reason, the idea of a flight with a baby and a five year old did not appeal.  We did go abroad in May and was in stark contrast to the simplicity of throwing everything in the car.  Downside is the M5... PLus side is I can usually manipulate the journey to find somewhere with trains to break the journey!  Our summer stay in Beer will allow for a trip to Taunton for the WSR...

David 

Interesting point,David...”throwing everything in the car”. Even in the UK this is in sharp contrast to rail travel which works against those wishing to take a “reasonable amount of luggage “ with them.

Two recent three night breaks in London which involved the need to look presentable ( wife and self ) for three evening performances..Festival Hall / ROH/ Wigmore Hall ...plus meals taxed my ingenuity in travelling by LNWR to Euston..It was “managed “ ....just.....but not without much dissent from my better half. 

All due to lifestyle and age I suppose...but only the brave drive to London these days.Our son and partner are adept ( not ) at the not so gentle art of throwing the usually unnecessary and unsuitable plus two boys and two dogs ( now sadly one ) into any available space left in their car.

This year they are off to Barcelona...not by car but by EasyJet. And the dog ?  Guess who are dog sitting ?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Packing enough for a stay is a matter of being realistic. Sherry and I have a modest size wheelie case each, have had no problem packing for a week's cruise, including the mandatory (well, almost) formal nights when evening attire is expected. And of course we travel to the port by train. If we have a long weekend somewhere, one such case and a couple of bags is plenty of stuff, including a DSLR and a couple of lenses. And no, we don't wash smalls while away, but manage to each take enough for a daily change.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

3 weeks of clothing in a 60 + 20 litre rucksack. Helps that the heat in Greece and reliable weather means minimal clothing , no jumpers etc. Rucksack enables easy movement and limited sightseeing whilst movi v between islands. Standards are observed viz a collared shirt at dinner. Some smalls have been washed :)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m currently in Cornwall -  taking the dog with us on holiday limits our choice but so many uk hotels and holiday let’s are dog-friendly these days it’s no hardship. The Friday changeover day wasn’t too bad and now the A30 is dual carriageway over Bodmin moor it’s doddle from Somerset. The journey time roughly equates to the time wasted at an airport waiting to fly! Now have I earned my tax rebate?

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Talking of holiday luggage I remember our annual holiday to visit an aunt in Torquay.in the early 50’s.  Our luggage trunk was collected in advance and delivered before we arrived on the Torbay Express (or its relief). The trains were always very full so even small suitcases were a problem to stow. Travel abroad was out of the question because there were restrictions on the amount of money you could take out of Great Britain. Could Jeremy or Boris take note?

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

English Tourist Board.

Maybe Cornwall should give us a Tax Break when we go over the bridge from Devon then I might consider another "foreign holiday " ! 

Devon Knows

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Maybe Cornwall should give us a Tax Break when we go over the bridge from Devon then I might consider another "foreign holiday " ! 

Devon Knows

Isn't Kernow a different country?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Soon along with the other Celtic fringes Alba, Cymru and all of Ireland.

Bring back Northumbria!

Paul.

Now Paul, you do realise that would mean most of the Scottish population would become English.

Part of the Northumbrian legacy is the gibberish language called Scots, it is in fact old English. The Normans didn't conquer the northern part of Northumbria, what is now southern and central eastern Scotland, so when French words started to be added to English there weren't in what is now north of the boarder. Hence old English is spoken by Scotsmen.

I still blame the Gordies, well if they hadn't let that wall fall down we wouldn't have immigration.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Now Paul, you do realise that would mean most of the Scottish population would become English.

Part of the Northumbrian legacy is the gibberish language called Scots, it is in fact old English. The Normans didn't conquer the northern part of Northumbria, what is now southern and central eastern Scotland, so when French words started to be added to English there weren't in what is now north of the boarder. Hence old English is spoken by Scotsmen.

I still blame the Gordies, well if they hadn't let that wall fall down we wouldn't have immigration.

I hope everyone who has read this and not taken me seriously. It reads a bit anti Scottish, which I am not.

OK I have a dislike for a bloke from Glasgow who was in the same platoon as me in the army, everything with England was bad even the bread was rubbish. Scotland was far better than England to live in.  When he was asked why was he in living in the south of England his answer was "Nay jobs".

• Funny 3

25 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Apparently there are only three miles of solid land separating Cornwall from England, the rest is rivers.

A few well placed high explosives should do the job, then?:o

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

On 29/06/2019 at 10:29, gwrrob said:

English Tourist Board.

I went to North Yorkshire last year. Can't stand foreign holidays....  Oh, ah, wait , something not quite right there....   :biggrin_mini2: 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

That was much more exciting than Railcam!

And drier than stood on the sea wall at Dawlish.:jester:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2