A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Having had my ar@e kicked metaphorically I'm rather hoping it's third time lucky with 9717 here.

227884363_DSCN5918(2).JPG.1ddcdace1c646bd41cb24ef82b3189e7.JPG1236711385_DSCN5919(2).JPG.89743f2159ba2be707fe5a76c701c18c.JPG

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  I've seen photos of stopping trains where the lamp is on the lower centre bracket.  What the book says and what actually happened are not always the same thing.   On the Bridport branch the lamp was usually plonked on the lower lamp bracket nearest the platform - on the right hand side looking at the front of the engine as per your original photo.  There is quite a nice book on the line in which several examples of this practice may be seen!

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I am inclined to agree. Top bracket is the designated spot but I have seen a number of photos.....all post war ie “our period”....... with the lamp central on the buffer beam. I guess it was far easier for the fireman

You can change it back Robin.....I dont mind :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Calling any SWAGs lurking around here.

If any members are interested, the Junction 72a Model Railway Club (enthusiasts of Exmouth Junction Shed) are holding their show on September 22nd 10.00am till 4.00pm. Free entry.
They are in the process of modelling Exeter Central Station as it was and as I remember it in the 1950s so may be of interest to those who never knew how it used to be.
Unfortunately I cannot make that date.  
Taken from the Exeter Memories FB Thread. I'll try and get a venue from them.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

This is not a class B passenger train, or is it?

2008.5.168-1500x945.jpg

They must be glued on as there's one on the other end too...

HR-Jan-2016-Feature.jpg

No but it's a superb train!

• Agree 1

Hey guys, 

Rob I notice that my parcels train is starting to look a lot like yours. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for improving the Siphon G or H, having recently purchased some - google turns up a few results but most of the links are dead.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Hey guys, 

Rob I notice that my parcels train is starting to look a lot like yours. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for improving the Siphon G or H, having recently purchased some - google turns up a few results but most of the links are dead.

Depends how far you want to go. New buffers and new bogies (9ft American) are all I did.

Here's a good starter:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/prosiphonmod.html

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Jack P said:

Ah thank you!  I was thinking of replacing the corridor connectors... 

Any advice on where to source the bogies/buffers from?

I did these conversions a long time ago and used ABS buffers and K's or Mailcoach bogies. None of these are available any more, which is why I didn't mention them directly. Others might be able to suggest up-to-date alternatives.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Jack P said:

Ah thank you!  I was thinking of replacing the corridor connectors... 

A worthwhile upgrade Jack is to change these to the correct scissors type as available as a two piece casting from Comet [ Wizard Models].

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

And to keep the Grand Inquisitor -  @gwrrob happy..

** Off topic**

@gwrrob , tonight is very happy because...….

We are top of the league, we are top of the league.:P ANTB is doing well because a follower of this thread's team is second mentioning no names @BenL:read:

• Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

** Off topic**

@gwrrob , tonight is very happy because...….

We are top of the league, we are top of the league.:P ANTB is doing well because a follower of this thread's team is second mentioning no names @BenL:read:

Which minor league?

I'm happy because Delia Smith's team beat City and we're 5 points clear -YNWA ;)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 13:34, The Fatadder said:

that would be correct for the daily Plymouth Exeter  working that the southern powered in order to maintain route knowledge for the aforementioned diversions.

It sometimes also worked the other way with GWR locos on Southern stock, as seen here with Hall class 4943 Marrington Hall on the up service.

1787728266_DSCN5932(2).JPG.25ccf538351ad7643d55215e17274cc0.JPGDSCN5934_(2).JPG.62189415e6c4aa2ba412fd45c21f82bb.JPG573482298_DSCN5935(2).JPG.a6c48967bc48e8a66c16e04594d11b34.JPG2123026006_DSCN5936(2).JPG.75523d27eae611e6146dffa1355f3d85.JPG1310341552_DSCN5937(2).JPG.b8c3ba1e7580c1f51bbea5ad16adb9c1.JPG

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2019 at 16:12, gwrrob said:

Augustus. " Fancy a pint in the Packhouse Arthur, all this graft has given me a thirst."

Arthur." I read on RMweb from that Captain character that it's a salubrious establishment that's best avoided."

Augustus."  Don't believe everything you read online, it's your round and mine's a pint of scrumpy."

No, you should believe some of the things you read on line.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1