A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

4 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

A chimney question guys, I'm getting towards the end of the extremely lengthy Goods Shed build (I've had a few days break to do other bits and pieces) and I'm about to fit the Chimney. The instructions say place on the main shed roof in roughly the position shown in the first photo.

goodsShed_26.jpg.411a5907ae1ed25bb275a907908ab8c5.jpg

However I placed it on the office roof and now I'm confused.

goodsShed_26B.jpg.17ff5cc9af40eec4e29135bf7fd41af2.jpg

Which looks better?

Main roof as it would draw better and not subject to eddies if placed where you have it.

If it needs to be on the office roof then they would place it on the end wall but increase its height so the top of the brickwork would be level with the main ridge line, again to get a clear draw for the flue

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

A chimney question guys, I'm getting towards the end of the extremely lengthy Goods Shed build (I've had a few days break to do other bits and pieces) and I'm about to fit the Chimney. The instructions say place on the main shed roof in roughly the position shown in the first photo.

goodsShed_26.jpg.411a5907ae1ed25bb275a907908ab8c5.jpg

However I placed it on the office roof and now I'm confused.

goodsShed_26B.jpg.17ff5cc9af40eec4e29135bf7fd41af2.jpg

Which looks better?

Main roof as it would draw better and not subject to eddies if placed where you have it.

If it needs to be on the office roof then they would place it on the end wall but increase its height so the top of the brickwork would be level with the main ridge line, again to get a clear draw for the flue

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Not sure why I ended up with two posts, so treat the second one as a spare!!!

Whilst typing it would look neater if the vertical line of the gable end brickwork carried on up and lined up with brickwork on the chimney. When building  in real life this would ensure the chimney brickwork would sit on the gable wall brick thereby giving support to it

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, KNP said:

Not sure why I ended up with two posts, so treat the second one as a spare!!!

Whilst typing it would look neater if the vertical line of the gable end brickwork carried on up and lined up with brickwork on the chimney. When building  in real life this would ensure the chimney brickwork would sit on the gable wall brick thereby giving support to it

Having looked at a few photo's now, I think some chimneys on Goods Sheds were after thoughts.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Having looked at a few photo's now, I think some chimneys on Goods Sheds were after thoughts.

The fire place would be where the goods clerk and chargehand would sit, so on the office roof would be more logical. Why heat up a building that is going to have its doors open a lot of the time? The goods porters would stay warm by humping stuff on and off the wagons, and they get a free jacket with their uniforms.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

The other thing I have noticed is that this is a through shed so the chimney breast would foul the main doorway if placed on the main roof plus the flue itself would not line up with the office interior.

I conclude therefore that the chimney would only serve the office and to draw correctly be as far away from the main building as possible so needs to be fitted on the roof over the end wall of the office.

Also ensure the vertical face of the gable end lines up with the side of the chimney for structural strength.

It will look neater and correct.

I rest my case and will now go back quietly to painting the Collett coach roofs...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, KNP said:

The other thing I have noticed is that this is a through shed so the chimney breast would foul the main doorway if placed on the main roof plus the flue itself would not line up with the office interior.

I conclude therefore that the chimney would only serve the office and to draw correctly be as far away from the main building as possible so needs to be fitted on the roof over the end wall of the office.

Also ensure the vertical face of the gable end lines up with the side of the chimney for structural strength.

It will look neater and correct.

I rest my case and will now go back quietly to painting the Collett coach roofs...!

Slight problem there's windows on the end wall of the office..

• Friendly/supportive 1

One issue after another!!!

In that case then the builders would most likely build a fireplace diagonally in the corner with the stack built off the corner brickwork. It would be about 27” square and finish at the height of the roof line.

The simpler answer might be a a stove between the windows with a metal flue going through the wall and finishing above the ridge line.

Boy, your are testing us today!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Interesting that the other [Tetbury] GWR goods shed in the Timber Tracks range has two chimney's.

200117104_timbertracksgoodsshed.jpg.cce3c5472940c5f6a0efd6b89f0148cc.jpg

If memory serves on the Tetbury shed it had a timber office inside so it is more than likely had a fire!

• Like 1

I have read with great interest a lot of your 'Nod to Brent'  thread.   I am particularly interested, because my mothers side of the family were from in and around Kingston, and Loddiswell.   We went to Kingston Last September,and found in the church the family name inscribed in two stone slabs set in the church floor. Several generations going way back to the early 19th century..   So my layout will be gw/br  somewhere in the South Hams.   I consider myself a bit Devonian, and I am proud of it.   Our family were Anglo Saxons too, not Norman, which I am very pleased about..   

Sorry about all that rambling, just thought I'd stake my claim of being a Devon person :rolleyes:

I love your layout btw...

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been amusing myself playing with a google home mini and a philips hue colour bulb. Google is able to recognise voice commands and turn the lamp to Brunswick green, malachite and Prussian blue. She will not, however, undertake any involvement with garter blue or crimson lake. What a jolly clever bit of tech....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, colin penfold said:

I have been amusing myself playing with a google home mini and a philips hue colour bulb. Google is able to recognise voice commands and turn the lamp to Brunswick green, malachite and Prussian blue. She will not, however, undertake any involvement with garter blue or crimson lake. 

What about SR brown.968372170_SRboxvanrails.jpg.e0ab2c7d7f88292189231131ad398a03.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Super photo Robin........I kept looking for the date or an inscription in white at the bottom....totally authentic.

How are you getting on with fitting securing chains to your Warflats?

I am still waiting for mine but am not sure how to fit the chains and hooks. The Roxey hooks look ok but the aperture of the rings seems too small....certainly for the hooks. I am not entirely convinced by the “bottle screws” either. They will look good on containers but I think will look too big on relatively short lengths of chain. I am thinking of either just using chain (no tensioning device) or possibly using part of the couplings that come as add ons to locos.

Best wishes

John

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, john dew said:

How are you getting on with fitting securing chains to your Warflats?

I've made a start on their assembly, @toboldlygo has them for weathering at the moment. Final fitting will happen after I purchase those Millicast Humber scouts I mentioned a few pages back. The holes on the Roxey bits take 0.4mm wire for fitting. It will take some trial and error.

• Informative/Useful 1