A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, A Murphy said:

I have the strangest feeling I might know what this is. I am very curious as to how it might have been built, although I think I might  have a pretty good idea. Fantastic! Altogether now: 'Oh when the.........."

Best wishes,

Alastair M

And I think you are correct.Could be wrong of course but something stirs in the memory bank.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/10/2019 at 15:00, Tallpaul69 said:

Agreed, 57xx or 64xx were quite often used with autocoaches

The wagon weathering is first class, but not appropriate for my 1960 era!

Cheers

Paul

Even 56/66XX....the GWR/WR was nothing but eclectic in it use of stock.I remember as a boy an RAF St.Athan Wings Day excursion stock included a slip coach ...in which we travelled.We did get there and back without being “slipped” enroute. The air display included appearances by Meteors,Vampires,a Canberra and a surviving Mosquito.In those days the RAF possessed aircraft which were designed and constructed in Britain.

• Like 4

On 22/10/2019 at 19:36, gwrrob said:

Coming soon, something rather nice.

603247195_4966ShackenhurstHall.jpgb(2).jpg.950e5d504e87828ef6549d9b0ac92939.jpg

Seems to be a small epidemic going around Rob, whilst waiting for some bits for my Armstrong Goods I decided to start on a conversion of a Mitchell 45xx ( acquired part built from a good friend and RM member earlier this year ).

You probably know I do like the 45xx class but it didn't quite fit into my early period so I've bitten the bullet and taken a little bit of gentle heat to the body. Over on WT there has been a thread on converting the kit to an earlier 44xx and it looks superb, and if I can get anywhere near that I will be very happy.

IMG_0740.JPG.b741860f099e487fdd4667bdb6c32d0a.JPG

New shortened smokebox made, original larger bunker and cab sides removed to be replaced with small bunker and front to be altered to square valance as per the early loco. Many other alterations to make including the lovely cab front with small port hole windows.

Wish me luck !

G

p.s. 7mm scale

Edited by bgman
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, A Murphy said:

I have the strangest feeling I might know what this is. I am very curious as to how it might have been built, although I think I might  have a pretty good idea. Fantastic! Altogether now: 'Oh when the.........."

Best wishes,

Alastair M

I may of been been involved, along with a pair of Xuron Side-cutters ;)

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

A little more progress on the 45xx back dating conversion to a 44xx.....

IMG_0741.JPG.b8c8c20d97cd14cf62f4e3c2690090e5.JPG

Replacement smaller driving wheels ordered, lots to do and eventually clean up but I think it's starting to look more like a 44xx now.

G

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bgman said:

A little more progress on the 45xx back dating conversion to a 44xx.....

IMG_0741.JPG.b8c8c20d97cd14cf62f4e3c2690090e5.JPG

Replacement smaller driving wheels ordered, lots to do and eventually clean up but I think it's starting to look more like a 44xx now.

G

Don't forget that the cylinders are on the opposite end for a 44xx.

2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

?

1733834272_Scan1.jpg.993a1dcc56b787ba8e4b5f53b3a5c1d8.jpg

Edited by bgman
forgot to include photograph
  • Like 5

The driving wheelbase is reversed. Closer spaced pair of wheels are at the cab end on 44xx. IIRC the rods are reversed too with the joint leading on the 44xx where as it's trailing on the 45xx.

Edited by Darwinian
Forgot about rods
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Lovely weathering on the decking of the 'War' wagons Rob, I need to practice that too!

Ordinarily I wouldn't post these wagons on the thread as I thought they were unlikely to be seen around Brent, but apparently they worked regularly to Cambourne!

They are BR dia. 1/004 pig iron wagons, utilising the Trix moulding for the body work.

pig_iron_006.JPG.b59ec5663e9cb56cf7346666614b3e3f.JPG

Details are in the 'modified ready-to-run' section for those interested.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

P.S. 6016, my last 'King' cop, Acocks Green station, July 1962...Aaaahhh.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Now that's a novelty even the GWR didn't think of? Cylinders under the cab - think the steam feed pipes would be a bit long!!

I think you mean that the wheelbase is the other way round with the close spaced wheels at the opposite end of the loco to those on a 45xx?

Happy days

Paul

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Darwinian said:

The driving wheelbase is reversed. Closer spaced pair of wheels are at the cab end on 44xx. IIRC the rods are reversed too with the joint leading on the 44xx where as it's trailing on the 45xx.

Thank you Mr.D,

I do realise that the wheel arrangement is reversed but unfortunately the part built chassis on the model was made to represent the 45xx version.

I intent to purchase a Premier Component milled chassis later in the year to replace it until then I will be running a hybrid ! :mocking_mini:

G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The weathering on the Cromwell is brilliant.......it looks a totally different model. One minor point......the machine gun barrel looks as though it has brewers droop......I have now cut mine off.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Agree with JD:  MG needs the snip.  They would have been removed for most transports.

Weathering is great.

Comments if I may: 

Used armour tends to have a tinge of rust and earth/mud colour to the tracks - unless it's in a museum or bulled for the Colonel In Chief's Inspection*

The outer band of the road-wheels (non toothed wheels) is actually a tyre of rock hard rubber. When new, this needs to be a "black with dirt and gunge" colour as opposed to body colour.  However if the tank has had a quick lick of paint at the unit ( not the main workshops) it's not unheard of to get body colour paint on the rubber as seen above.  If you want to add some real detail on a "used" tank, you could finish one or two of these wheels in a pristine green with new black tyre finish, to make it look like it had had a road-wheel change. 

And don't forget the correct way to chain: crossed chains - the WARWELL has some obvious lashing points, and the tank model will have too.

*Always followed by drinks in the Sgts' Mess and a thoroughly good lunch in the Officers' Mess.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a "less modelled" engine, especially when it is as well finished as this.  Not one of the names most remembered for a Hall.  Great choice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/10/2019 at 18:56, M.I.B said:

Agree with JD:  MG needs the snip.  They would have been removed for most transports.

Weathering is great.

Comments if I may: 

Used armour tends to have a tinge of rust and earth/mud colour to the tracks - unless it's in a museum or bulled for the Colonel In Chief's Inspection*

The outer band of the road-wheels (non toothed wheels) is actually a tyre of rock hard rubber. When new, this needs to be a "black with dirt and gunge" colour as opposed to body colour.  However if the tank has had a quick lick of paint at the unit ( not the main workshops) it's not unheard of to get body colour paint on the rubber as seen above.  If you want to add some real detail on a "used" tank, you could finish one or two of these wheels in a pristine green with new black tyre finish, to make it look like it had had a road-wheel change. 

And don't forget the correct way to chain: crossed chains - the WARWELL has some obvious lashing points, and the tank model will have too.

*Always followed by drinks in the Sgts' Mess and a thoroughly good lunch in the Officers' Mess.

The tracks do have a lot of mud on them, unfortunately Robin's camera's seen through it.

Depending on where the tank had been deployed - it may of had full steel wheels fitted ;) 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1