A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

I have just received this from Rails of Sheffield...

SECR_van_001.JPG.62f30547d0a45e8930c734ad2fd9bf19.JPG

SECR_van_002.JPG.c255bd42d0fbfab1acb78b7dd5d9232f.JPG

Absolutely superb, these apparently sold out in no time. any thoughts on a GWR van that might prove equally popular?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Peter I hate to say this on here, but I think it's the fact that it's not GWR, or SR LNER or the pink lot for that matter, that has made it popular. It's the fact that it's visibly different from all the stuff the blue and red boxes have been turning out for years. I can't see a big 4 van having the same impact....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/10/2019 at 07:52, M.I.B said:

Forget James Brown - Shakey was the hardest working man in music in the 80s:  most teenagers, and yoof with any cred hated Shakey, so he could only hope for support from the OAPs (and ex teds) and the little kids who watched him on things like Cheggers Plays Pop/Runaround/Magpie etc.

Yet he still cranked out a massive number of top 10 and 20 hits without the support of the average record buyers!.  Not to be sniffed at.

"......what's that secret you're keepin'.............."

He's still going and selling out venues right across Europe. An acquaintance is part of his band.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 45568 said:

Absolutely superb, these apparently sold out in no time. any thoughts on a GWR van that might prove equally popular?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

How about the siphon g for starters then Peter.:read: 

• Agree 3

13 hours ago, 45568 said:

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

I am always surprised that every year no one produces an iron mink or  a wooden mink with outside frame doors. Most GWR modellers would buy more than one as they were so numerous.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Peter I hate to say this on here, but I think it's the fact that it's not GWR, or SR LNER or the pink lot for that matter, that has made it popular. It's the fact that it's visibly different from all the stuff the blue and red boxes have been turning out for years. I can't see a big 4 van having the same impact....

I have to agree with Colin here. My limited knowledge of GWR wagons is sourced from a couple of books on the subject in my collection. The difference between the GWR and the other three grouping companies appears to be that the GWR was largely autonomous within it's area, and, relatively, absorbed very little goods stock from those companies it took over, (which were principally in Wales). Compare this to the LNER, where there was a wide variety of wagons inherited from the GE, NB, GN etc. some of which managed to pass nationalisation and achieve the coveted BR livery which seems to guarantee successful sales! Similarly I can think of a couple of interesting van designs inherited by the  LMS from the CR or L&Y that would make attractive models, again surviving into BR days,(I am thinking of the Caley van with the distinctive X framing on the sides and doors for example).

The wooden 'Mink' vans were my first thought for the GWR/WR, but a glance at the wagon books shows a bewildering variety for a "Standard" design.  Parkside and other kit manufacturers have produced kits for these, although that is not going to deter a keen manufacturer. Perhaps a scaling down of the Ixion/Lionheart Mink from 'O' gauge?

The Siphon G is well overdue for an update, although to me the body moulding still looks well, as does the 'H', the underframe lets them down; however, I don't think that a large bogie van is really that suitable as a subject for this type of production, I can imagine some constraints on the physical size of a single-piece moulding applying here..although I am more than happy to be corrected by those who have more experience with this technology. Personally I see Hornby as the most likely contender for a revamp, (to go with the 'Manor' for 2020???!!!).

This production method seems to favour short runs of unusual prototypes, one I would like to see is the SR banana van, done as a kit years ago by ABS. Dangerously close to wishlisting now though....stop it!

I look forward to seeing where Rails/Dapol go next with this.

cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 30/10/2019 at 18:24, gwrrob said:

Kit builds are usually popular so here are more additions to my wagon fleet as I now have three Cambrian Starfish. As seen on John C's Stoke Courtenay, a 10T loco coal wagon or two from the same stable are next.

1031745275_DSCN6083(2).JPG.018b11fa88fa20dfb1518f14122aaf92.JPG660883766_DSCN6084(2).JPG.170148e475d2d1ed0aae715d8313001c.JPG1910956229_DSCN6085(2).JPG.b9458f1fcf0ca6e9250fa963777718d9.JPG741078078_DSCN6087(2).JPG.dab85b67f050edb644901045694174c6.JPG

Nice work on those Starfish Robin.

Weathering adds to their character as well.

Were they the ones you were building?

How about an Ian Kirk P17 ballast wagon kit next?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

This is not the thread if you want highlights Clive.:fan:

Do you do a Carlos Valdarama? ;)

Edited by 46444