A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think we are stretching our host's patience in examining this too much further, but perhaps we fail to recognise the importance of first class in a well-to-do or nobby part of the country. 

I was wrong yet again. the Pairs ran with D2405 and a D2123 Semi Open Brake 3rd...doh! That's more sensible!

I'm stopping now! However, when Rob runs those GWR/WR/LSWR/SR Driver route refresher trains he will need to know a lot of this!!!!!!!!

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup Dudds you were correct, D2406 is the Loose Comp version Brake. (Twin periscopes, middle position Bog). The D2505s ran in pairs with a D 2123. 

Excuse my total ignorance, but what's special about a D2406?

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/carriage/sr-bulleid-d2406-64ft6in-corridor-brake-composite-shallow-window-vents-s7k/

• RMweb Gold

Hi Robin

I have finally got round to weathering and adding the bits to the Warwells

A couple of questions:

808678499_1.5detail.jpg.4df4679baf0d63a42a14506eb6db2ce0.jpg

The four items on the far left appear to be a hook and chain (or possibly a bottle screw) . There is a slot next to each jack for them. I am assuming they hang downwards as a cosmetic accessory for the adjacent jack?  Or are they supposed to be inserted upwards and used as a retaining point for the cross chains? I was going to use the foremost and aftmost side rings for my chains.

I seem to recall that for our period the vacuum pipes are redundant?

Many thanks for any help you can give me

Regards

John

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Southern tended to run loco-hauled coaching stock in fixed sets, a rigid policy which is now universal with EMUs and DMUs. But it also recognised the need for 'loose' coaches to supplement formations. This was particularly true for the WoE main line, where multiple branch lines each received a BCK detached at the junction station from a train from Waterloo to Exeter and beyond.  Dia 2406 was the Bulleid BCK designed for this purpose, in contrast to the similar but not identical Dia 2405 BCK used in 2-sets. As Mallard is modelling Seaton Junction, such vehicles are needed in some quantity. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

7 hours ago, john dew said:

The four items on the far left appear to be a hook and chain (or possibly a bottle screw) . There is a slot next to each jack for them. I am assuming they hang downwards as a cosmetic accessory for the adjacent jack?  Or are they supposed to be inserted upwards and used as a retaining point for the cross chains? I was going to use the foremost and aftmost side rings for my chains.

I actually fitted the vacuum pipes and tried to bend them left to clear my Kadee couplers. If you have tightish curves you'll get a derailment with these fitted.The jacks are cosmetic and hang down. I did exactly the same with my Hatton's warwell too.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Such a shame that was in 1949,  would have been a god addition to the goods yard in 47 otherwise 

Absolutely but it won't stop me having a wagon or two , well weathered, sat in the goods yard Rich.;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Inspired by that sheep bloke of Mutton fame I thought of doing some wagon shunting featuring 1361 class 1363 and those Cambrian kit built starfish wagons.

1516320714_DSCN6097(2).JPG.3a18e75f8130f62cea74d130208f17f4.JPG1230405180_DSCN6098(2).JPG.23b84e6613d8e6bebd6ac5f142ff663b.JPG171155863_DSCN6099(2).JPG.186612d63d00d188669fac0f684f557d.JPG1637004106_DSCN6100(2).JPG.aca817d31ca0019010a225310c336902.JPG

Love them. happy days at Laira on a Sunday, circa 1960....all three locals on Shed.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Love them. happy days at Laira on a Sunday, circa 1960....all three locals on Shed.

Likewise at Millbay Docks where they were adept at shunting carriages although it was a bit difficult for us kids to get in to see them working.  I used to like to see them going around the sharp curves which reminded me of my train set at the time, I had GW Hornby N0.2 tank engine then, not really the same thing:rolleyes:

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Just popping down to Gaydon in leafy Warwickshire to visit the Great British Train show. Hornby have their stand there so are there any questions for Mr Kohler I can ask for the learned followers of this thread.;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Just popping down to Gaydon in leafy Warwickshire to visit the Great British Train show. Hornby have their stand there so are there any questions for Mr Kohler I can ask for the learned followers of this thread.;)

Top lights?

New Saint?

Manor?

Have a good day and pop into the car museum if you get a spare hour.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 09/11/2019 at 01:53, john dew said:

Hi Robin

I have finally got round to weathering and adding the bits to the Warwells

A couple of questions:

808678499_1.5detail.jpg.4df4679baf0d63a42a14506eb6db2ce0.jpg

Many thanks for any help you can give me

Regards

John

John

The items on the left seem to be turnbuckles - Most have a hook on each end or they can be anchored to the load bed (of whatever).   

A good driver or loader will always keep them oiled and extended so that when you chain down you:

1   Hook the chain on the load ( usually using a shackle)

2.  Pull the chain tight.

3. Slip a chain link inside the hook on the turnbuckle  (not hook through link),

4.  Wind them in, thereby tension-ing the chain. 

A slack driver will keep them as they were last left, and thereby have to faff about winding them back out before he starts - bad drills  (:

If I caught drivers or No2 drivers doing this sort of idleness they got  extra work in the evenings when everyone else was tucking into a Herforder........

Remembering Absent Friends today.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3