A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

As delivered.msg-1-0-01787900-1531224736.jpg.f20571589c3082671b4487c92e39ad82.jpgmsg-1-0-62217900-1531224752.jpg.c848078cdc2248b7bb00da382881a78d.jpg

Heljan don't seem to have the best record with steam locomotives do they? It is a shame because, in my experience, their diesel locomotives are excellent. 

Forgive me if you have already answered this Robin, did you repair it in the end? 

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Heljan don't seem to have the best record with steam locomotives do they? It is a shame because, in my experience, their diesel locomotives are excellent. 

Forgive me if you have already answered this Robin, did you repair it in the end? 

No replacement was ever supplied. It was going to be a payment for doing an article in BRM last year so no one but Heljan are out of pocket. Someone else today has mentioned Heljan diesels being good so that bodes well for the 18000 release. There seems to be something new announced every week at the moment, Warley next weekend too.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

........ There seems to be something new announced every week at the moment, Warley next weekend too.

Whilst there seem to be loads of announcements (too many?????) at the moment, I doubt that we will hear anything else of interest for GWR modellers.... But I bet we will hear something with the new catalogues releases in Jan / March 2020. (I don't know, just an educated guess)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

No replacement was ever supplied. It was going to be a payment for doing an article in BRM last year so no one but Heljan are out of pocket. Someone else today has mentioned Heljan diesels being good so that bodes well for the 18000 release. There seems to be something new announced every week at the moment, Warley next weekend too.

That is something.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of the woodwork at Warley. :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

If it smells of paraffin/kerosene it will be good. ( Ezzo Blue maybe?)

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Whilst there seem to be loads of announcements (too many?????) at the moment, I doubt that we will hear anything else of interest for GWR modellers.... 

If there is you can count on me to get a photo of it on the Sunday for all you overseas followers.;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, brianusa said:

We do read of English floods so I suppose technically that makes it over water at least.;)

Brian.

Yup, almost got me beak wet here and things were getting scary, but where my lad lives they were inches from disaster and Clive is still wading bless him. north east of Donny is really fooked….again......and they are bl00dy livid and rightly so, poor sods. 

P

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Have you seen the Rails announcement of the gas turbine 18000 with Heljan

https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2863/gas-turbine-18000-class

its a bit pricy at £199 (And I think on past performance Heljan tend to struggle to get the detail / quality to match such a price), however it is mighty tempting.

i want one in fictional Great Western livery as the future loco describes in the GW book (the last station?) published post war on their plans for the future of Atlee and Co hadn’t got in the way.   Though at the price I may well have second thoughts....

I hope you have never needed the welfare state when you have been unemployed, I hope you or family have never needed the NHS and when you retire I hope you refuse state pension. Remember what Clem Atlee did do to help our country.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I hope you have never needed the welfare state when you have been unemployed, I hope you or family have never needed the NHS and when you retire I hope you refuse state pension. Remember what Clem Atlee did do to help our country.

At risk of 'politicising; the thread, I cannot help but agree with Mr Mortimore, (as one of the beneficiaries of the Welfare State and Education Act), and can heartily recommend this book:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Citizen-Clem-Biography-Attlee-Winner/dp/178087992X

as wwell worth a read to find out the extraordinary work of the man.

Now back to the modelling bench..

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, gwrrob said:

If there is you can count on me to get a photo of it on the Sunday for all you overseas followers.;)

Thank you Robin, but this overseas follower will be there on the Saturday.... :rolleyes:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 12/11/2019 at 23:18, Clive Mortimore said:

Very well said - how quickly people take things for granted.  I guess if it's always been there in your lifetime the tendency is to think it was always there.  I have had cause to thank the NHS profusely in the last few years and value it very highly - we take it for granted at our peril.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

As most know, here there is no welfare state here at the level of the NHS.  Sure there are various welfare agencies that help out but nothing  government sponsored.  Most of us have private insurance which works well enough but its costs!  Which brings up the question, the NHS has been around since 1945 and how much has it cost the government and the taxpayer over those years????   Several runners in next years US election have promised free for all medicine and the opposition invariably asks how it will be funded.  A good question!  Various responses but a common thread is higher taxes for those who make over a certain amount, in other words soak the rich which has been a rallying cry from Attlee to Corbyn and now Warren and Sanders, here.  That doesn't work so are the rich really going to get soaked or the taxpayer pay more?

A couple of pictures of a Cordon DD4 gas tank wagon finished from a 3D print produced by a Tasmanian supplier, (who does supply to UK). (Also  shows the Captain's favourite shed...).

Cordon2_006.JPG.be54927f5c48a5edee94063aa04ee5df.JPG

Cordon2_005.JPG.5a3257efa4e36411f1de4b9588166aa1.JPG

376061181_Cordon2003(1024x768).jpg.eb61ea45f1b484c1d5c20382e61bcd56.jpg

Wot I did just here..

Cheers from a very dry Oz,

Peter C.

Edited by 45568
new info...
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells tells me it's a diag. AA4 brake van that's had it's top half ripped off.

Atkins et al and Russell both describe it as a DD4. Russell states that second-hand underframes were used.

• Informative/Useful 1