A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, teaky said:

I trust you've voted in the Quirky Poll, Robin.  I'm sure you've been waiting for ages to get a streamlined GWR castle.  :blink:

Streamlined Lord Nelson actually.:jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2019 at 19:01, Ian Hargrave said:

Bless all and have a wonderful Noël .Look forward to more ANTB next year.Thank you Robin who keeps us all healthily sane.

A moment of self indulgence here. In Memoriam Keith Howard,my friend and fellow enthusiast whom those of you who made the trip to the W&GR in October of last year might just remember. Keith passed away this afternoon. God bless my son...

May his god be with him. :umbrage:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/12/2019 at 21:58, St Enodoc said:

I spy a finial on the banner repeater signal. Is that normal or is it a preservation-era affectation?

Having been looking for something else, I stumbled upon a location with a (G)WR banner and then thought of other ways to determine an answer.  

The case for the prosecution(!) is as follows:

GWR 1936 General Appendix has colour drawings of signals. Semaphore and colour light running signals are shown with finials but banners are not.  Photographic evidence comes from Wolverhampton where there was a banner on the Up Main just prior to Wednesfield Road Bridge. It can be seen in a photo on disused stations taken outside North Box in 1967 (not conclusive on its own) and also in Rail Centres Wolverhampton (p104).  Therefore I am happy to state that a (G)WR banner would not have had a finial.

Case rests M’lud.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry all. I was a bit slow on the uptake. I have the book GW Signals by Vaughan (OPC) In it there is a photograph and an official drawing of a banner repeater which confirm the absence of a finial. The post supprts under the signal, not behind it so does not even extend to a height where a finial could be added

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, colin penfold said:

Sorry all. I was a bit slow on the uptake. I have the book GW Signals by Vaughan (OPC) In it there is a photograph and an official drawing of a banner repeater which confirm the absence of a finial. The post supprts under the signal, not behind it so does not even extend to a height where a finial could be added

1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

I could have looked there too.

Oops!

:-)

So could I, but an official drawing and one photo are not conclusive evidence in all cases. That's my excuse for forgetting to look...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Seen before but nice to see again, Manor class 7804 Baydon Manor with the up stopping service. Dr Creasy's car is also present. Mike Roper is a hardy soul going around in a waistcoat in the bleak midwinter.

Baydon_Manor_sepia.jpg.0159cb44e0f3a971329a926671298313.jpg

• Like 17

12 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Dr Creasy's car is also present. Mike Roper is a hardy soul going around in a waistcoat in the bleak midwinter.

I trust that Dr Creasy is being a good country doctor, and making sure that his patients have their essentials. Does Dr Creasy have Burgh Island in his parish?  Like the good Dr. MacLaren on the little isle of Great Todday, making home visits to make sure his patients got their whisky and baccy, to help them through the bleak midwinter.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
fixed typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Does Dr Creasy have Burgh Island in his parish?

In the waiting room in South Brent Health Centre, prior to the recent refurbishment a couple of years ago, there used to hang a large Ordnance Survey 2 1/2 inches to the mile map of the Brent area on the wall, nicely framed, with the surrounding district covered by the doctors and medical staff outlined in ink. Regrettably (or perhaps fortunately for the rest of us), they didn't cover Burgh Island!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1