A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

Tenders remained mixed as with Halls.  No doubt the newer larger tenders got  more common in later years.  The smaller ones tender to be older in the main.

But the pooh trap for Stars in later GW years is whether they had outside steam pipes in your era, and which type if they got fitted - straight ( 28XX style) or "Castle/Elbow" type.

4001 to 4020 had a square step at the front above the cylinders.  21 onward were curved.    So "Lode Star" can really only ever be one of the engines numbered 1-20.

The GWR Archive ( online) is a good tool for this sort of info.  Lists each class in number order and includes date detail of this sort of mod.  So you can work out which engine name meets your steam pipe set up.

Tender info is available but not for every engine, on a site called brdatabase.info   But you get an "index card" for each loco and most have a breakdown and date of tender type and number.  Takes longer to work out if your particular 3500 gall Hall or Star has the right name or not depending on the tender type.

But from a large class of engines, your choices get reduced to 20 options based on the split of square or curved footplates, and then diminishes further based on steam pipes.  Don't be surprised if  you get down to three choices of engine, and none kept the smaller tender.

Adding your own steam pipes increases the options.  Not sure if someone has made a suitable casting for this - someone here would know and I would't have thought it a hard mod to do on a model.

Edited by M.I.B
No straight pipes on Stars
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

..............or buy a "Hogwarts Express" tender on Ebay and swap the tops.  They are usually available for not much £££

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Tenders remained mixed as with Halls.  No doubt the newer larger tenders got  more common in later years.  The smaller ones tender to be older in the main.

But the pooh trap for Stars in later GW years is whether they had outside steam pipes in your era, and which type if they got fitted - straight ( 28XX style) or "Castle/Elbow" type.

4001 to 4020 had a square step at the front above the cylinders.  21 onward were curved.    So "Lode Star" can really only ever be one of the engines numbered 1-20.

The GWR Archive ( online) is a good tool for this sort of info.  Lists each class in number order and includes date detail of this sort of mod.  So you can work out which engine name meets your steam pipe set up.

Tender info is available but not for every engine, on a site called brdatabase.info   But you get an "index card" for each loco and most have a breakdown and date of tender type and number.  Takes longer to work out if your particular 3500 gall Hall or Star has the right name or not depending on the tender type.

But from a large class of engines, your choices get reduced to 20 options based on the split of square or curved footplates, and then diminishes further based on steam pipes.  Don't be surprised if  you get down to three choices of engine, and none kept the smaller tender.

Adding your own steam pipes increases the options.  Not sure if someone has made a suitable casting for this - someone here would know and I would't have thought it a hard mod to do on a model.

Point of order:

Outside steam pipes were never straight on the Stars - the outside cylinders were set too far back for that. There were two types of outside steam pipes: castle pattern that went down through the running plate or elbow pattern that snaked back inside the frames.

The elbow pattern pipes would be an interesting project, possibly for 3D printing but I’m not sure if they were ever fitted to any of the locos with square-sided inside cylinder covers.

Edit: All Stars after the prototype No. 40 had curved steps in the front running plate (footplate). The difference between the first 20 and the rest is about the shape of the inside cylinder covers and the Hornby model does have a square-sided cover, which as you say, means it’s one of the first 20. I know on the Kings that is a separate moulding so maybe it’s the same on the Star and maybe it wouldn’t be difficult to replace...?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

..............or buy a "Hogwarts Express" tender on Ebay and swap the tops.  They are usually available for not much £££

And if you go for one for the wartime black examples, the respray is a piece of cake.  (Although in the case of mine it was a spare BR Castle tender top rather than a Hogwarts.)

I must admit I rather fancy a square ended Star eventually, though one is enough for now...

On 05/01/2020 at 09:40, Trains&armour said:

Let me help out Robin here. Dean Goods have been known to pass through Brent:

Many years ago, our school played sports at the field in Marsh Mills tucked in the curve of the Tavvy branch.  On one occasion while ostensibly playing some game or other, a Dean Goods was sighted on a Down train which was enough to stop the game (which would explain the popularity of trainspotting in those days).  The word was it came down on the Fish from Swindon, whatever that was but a quick visit to Laira confirmed its presence.:)

Brian.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

54 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Edit: All Stars after the prototype No. 40 had curved steps in the front running plate (footplate). The difference between the first 20 and the rest is about the shape of the inside cylinder covers and the Hornby model does have a square-sided cover, which as you say, means it’s one of the first 20. I know on the Kings that is a separate moulding so maybe it’s the same on the Star and maybe it wouldn’t be difficult to replace...?

looking on Hattons at the Glastonbury Abbey, that has the scalloped inside cylinder cover.

david

C3DD749C-2043-4FD8-BC0D-F9D269C9F906.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Clearwater said:

looking on Hattons at the Glastonbury Abbey, that has the scalloped inside cylinder cover.

david

C3DD749C-2043-4FD8-BC0D-F9D269C9F906.jpeg

Ah! And outside steam pipes of the elbow variety, by the look of it. Very nice! That means a lot of the permutations should be possible by using Hornby parts.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Many years ago, our school played sports at the field in Marsh Mills tucked in the curve of the Tavvy branch.  On one occasion while ostensibly playing some game or other, a Dean Goods was sighted on a Down train which was enough to stop the game (which would explain the popularity of trainspotting in those days).  The word was it came down on the Fish from Swindon, whatever that was but a quick visit to Laira confirmed its presence.:)

Brian.

I believe the Swindon 'Fish' was often a source of 'interesting' engines. Could have been a running in turn, but that seems a long way unless they wanted to see how they did on the 'Banks'? Where the hell the fish actually came from is anyone's guess...….but someone on here will give us all the details, including what the smell was like.

A. R. Sole

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

I believe it would have been approaching summer 1959, (more likely) or possibly 1960, and there was an Annual Staff V Boys Cricket Match to be played at some sports ground in Compton, Plymouth (posh area), miles from my school in Devonport. I had worked out that this was only about 40 minutes walk from Laira and so I bunked off at 'Tea' and went to that holy place. Think it was the first time I encountered the Laira 9Fs and they left a vert lasting impression on me; bleddy huge from ground level. Only Dean I ever knowingly saw was on the scrap line at Swindon, from the main line en-route to 'the smoke' summer 1960.

P

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I believe the Swindon 'Fish' was often a source of 'interesting' engines. Could have been a running in turn, but that seems a long way unless they wanted to see how they did on the 'Banks'? Where the hell the fish actually came from is anyone's guess...….but someone on here will give us all the details, including what the smell was like.

A. R. Sole

There were overnight Fish "Expresses" From Hull and Aberdeen via the GC to Banbury , Oxford and Swindon. They dropped a few wagons at Oxford, sufficient to warrant special trains onward to Slough and Southampton. So by the time the trains got to Swindon they would not be heavily loaded. Thus a Dean would have been ideal, especially as more were probably dropped in the Bristol area.

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A lovely looking model announced today by Hornby but seriously how many of these will actually run on layouts. That chimney wouldn't clear my overbridge and footbridge, would it now. Photo courtesy of Graham Muz.

H2020_rocket_2.jpg.55541021169ee89d8f3fdf63f7140489.jpg.52496269a9006c6ae7e06f416c765fe6.jpg

It will look good in War Time Black with brown coaches and I'm sure we can put a shorter chimney on it :jester::jester:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Most of the first twenty Stars did get elbow types.

Most that survived in to BR ownership as Star's did for certain.

If you know someone whose been swapping the elbow type outside steam pipes on Stars, for the Castle Type (namely me) there's a few in my spares box ;) 

The model is tooled up for the Castle type as well.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, brianusa said:

Brian.

It was all diseasels, Hoovers and flying bananas when I used to do school sports (mostly cross-country runs) at Marsh Mills.

Much too young to have seen the really interesting stuff.  :(

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Dundid, later on ize mainly be moo-ving it to the paint shop for Mr. S. Lapdash to get a coat on.

IMG_1163.jpeg.2d9230dc2edefd5ba7232d99c98a982d.jpeg

Some of they vegan cows will get to ride soon !

Jesse

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

On 06/01/2020 at 21:51, M.I.B said:

He he!

I did that as well. Bought loads of Hogwarts Castles in various states of damage for a few pounds each. I don't think I paid more than about a tenner for one including postage. Got a few good bodies and tenders out of it. Most of them had typical heavy handed damage such as broken steps, buffers or handrails. The chassis were generally all write offs with a few bits going into the spares box. One or two worked perfectly though.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, bgman said:

Dundid, later on ize mainly be moo-ving it to the paint shop for Mr. S. Lapdash to get a coat on.

IMG_1163.jpeg.2d9230dc2edefd5ba7232d99c98a982d.jpeg

Some of they vegan cows will get to ride soon !

Jesse

Anyone one for Vegan Beefburgers - I have the perfect thing for cooking them, an M10 :jester:

M10_22.jpg.f09973ebdcfcf09af1110cd5d230c5a9.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2