A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

On 07/01/2020 at 14:14, Tallpaul69 said:

There were overnight Fish "Expresses" From Hull and Aberdeen via the GC to Banbury , Oxford and Swindon. They dropped a few wagons at Oxford, sufficient to warrant special trains onward to Slough and Southampton. So by the time the trains got to Swindon they would not be heavily loaded. Thus a Dean would have been ideal, especially as more were probably dropped in the Bristol area.

Cheers

Paul 

I'd have thought as an express service it would have warranted a passenger class or mixed traffic loco, a Hall or Grange at least? Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, The Great Bear said:

I'd have thought as an express service it would have warranted a passenger class or mixed traffic loco, a Hall or Grange at least? Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

‘Express’ in such cases does not mean express passenger timings, for which such locos would be needed. Few wagons were permitted to run at such speeds. But these trains did not spend time going through multiple yards and being shunted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon, CTMK and I took a walk into the village, with the intention of sampling the tea and cake at the recently re-opened emporium, that used to be 'The Royal Oak' pub, but which is now called 'Station House'.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I knew the owner, Richard, who with his family sells a tasty-looking range of savory and sweet meals, wines, bottled beers and hot beverages. The whole place has a gentle railway theme to it, both inside and out.

I also found out something that I didn't know before, in that the premises used to be used by the Post Office to sort mail that had arrived at Brent station by train, for onward delivery (also by train) to local destinations such as Kingsbridge.

If you are in the vicinity, I can recommend this place.

20200110_144912.jpg.e2870f0a90e2910c3346afc7ef253573.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, The Great Bear said:

As far as Swindon, these trains did have "express" engines from ER/WR/BR. But by the time they reached Swindon they had detached a lot of wagons, some of which went on as smaller trains to distribute the fish widely. So the smaller trains and the remains of the "Fish Expresses" were hauled by smaller engines. Unless there was a balancing working that required a larger engine, it would be a waste of resources to roster a large engine to just a few wagons!

I will have a look in my WTTs and see if I can find the running times for the "Fish" beyond Swindon, and compare it with other fast freight or passenger running times.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Forgive my ignorance my 'andsum but who's kit and to what diagram please Jesse ?

Tiz mainly a Slaters kit made to a Diaphragm know'd as Wubblyoo One eze an early type cos ov the single sided approach to brakin' ya see.

I likes this rural modlin' tiz daft n'fun !

Jesse

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, bgman said:

Tiz mainly a Slaters kit made to a Diaphragm know'd as Wubblyoo One eze an early type cos ov the single sided approach to brakin' ya see.

I likes this rural modlin' tiz daft n'fun !

Google won't translate from Daftish into English :P

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

As far as Swindon, these trains did have "express" engines from ER/WR/BR. But by the time they reached Swindon they had detached a lot of wagons, some of which went on as smaller trains to distribute the fish widely. So the smaller trains and the remains of the "Fish Expresses" were hauled by smaller engines.

I'm just waiting for Bachmann to produce a 'fish' series Bulldog.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, checkrail said:

I'm just waiting for Bachmann to produce a 'fish' series Bulldog.

Oh oh, we're getting into dangerous territory here...

4 hours ago, bgman said:

Don't you mean.... I Codn't wait ?

Captn. B.Eye

I was right...

4 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I don't want to carp about your spelling, but I think you're beginning to flounder. Still, there's a plaice for everything.

Someone had to take the bait...

4 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

It’s time to wheel out the bloater again. 

Now we're all hooked.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Heads up chaps, Vectis Auctions coming up 17th. Loads of nice looking GWR kit built coaches again. One or two loco's too RTR and kit built. Please don't bid on the Q1 and M7 pair!!!!!!!!!!

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1