A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Two items of rolling stock I have just completed..

P1250557.JPG.73044aee0c8b6c596262f05b22bbad79.JPG

Not much to look at but, as the boxes scale out at 70' long and 9'3" wide (in 4mm) I am using them as gauging vehicles for my my current layout build:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150337-cholsey-moulsford-change-for-wallingford/

P1250552.JPG.c9b2bddd90d91ba746fd02de82c6e73a.JPG

Expresso? 

P

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

With not even a glimpse of Brunel's masterpiece, the Tamar Bridge. :huh:

I'm shocked, shocked!

Was he using the facility at that moment do you think?

15 hours ago, brianusa said:

Bodmin to Totnes - A Great British Train Journey?:secret_mini:

Brian.

It certainly was in steam days. Now it is just the view that remains pretty good as the transportation is ####### awful.

Bronte Sorearse

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, brianusa said:

Bodmin to Totnes - A Great British Train Journey?:secret_mini:

Brian.

Tonight the Paignton to Dartmouth line features but I can't promise you me shunting at Kingswear.:P

232162308_GWRROBon5239.jpg.0d80cc2354c314e516c3bb160a3bf7a4.jpg

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

That's the thing with the GWR locos.....bits of copper sticking out everywhere.........

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Tonight the Paignton to Dartmouth line features but I can't promise you me shunting at Kingswear.:P

If I’m not mistaken, you didn’t give us Kingswear either, isn’t that the run round at Paignton?

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Many, many years ago while back home on holiday on a glorious summer day at Kingswear I took what I considered, quite a good photo of this engine.  So good that I had it enlarged and framed and it hangs on the train room wall as it has done for the last twenty years or so.   Goliath looks as good as ever although I could never get over how  and why it was named. Enlightenment?:unknw_mini:

Brian. 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Many, many years ago while back home on holiday on a glorious summer day at Kingswear I took what I considered, quite a good photo of this engine.  So good that I had it enlarged and framed and it hangs on the train room wall as it has done for the last twenty years or so.   Goliath looks as good as ever although I could never get over how  and why it was named. Enlightenment?:unknw_mini:

Brian. 

And why does it have lining for a freight engine? Not saying it looks bad at all, just curious. I do think the nameplate would have looked better if placed under the GW logo, similar style to Terrier nameplate positions

Edited by Ribird
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It's all about looking for custom from generations who post-date working steam, and trying to appeal to the kids, who know Thomas, Gordon, Henry et al by name and colour, not number. ISTR the same railway has a 'Braveheart' plate on a BR standard, and a couple of seasons ago had a Manor painted in black (good ) and renumbered (bad, bad, bad, very naughty!). 

The heritage sector, as often noted in these pages, needs income to survive. We, the true enthusiasts, form a small and diminishing part of the market that supports them. Sad fact. 

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A director's whim, naming and lining all locos regardless of historic accuracy.

It’s the reason why I will always take the family to either the South Devon or Bodmin  & Wenford when we go for a trip on the train when visiting my parents in Devon.  I would rather support a railway that’s not defacing it’s locos!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to reality, or maybe not. I almost got excited just now and it wasn't to do with thinking about my Doctor. I saw that rails were doing this nice exSECR Van. So I go and have a peek and lo, it is £30....what? I must have missed something.

There, I feel slightly less astonished now.

S.C. Rooge

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A director's whim, naming and lining all locos regardless of historic accuracy.

If only that was all they did!  Just been watching Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys. Last episode, he was on a Paignton to Tiverton trip. Oh good (I thought), some Dartmouth Steam Railway action to look forward to. Cue a background scene of a "USA 6046" steam locomotive crossing a level crossing. I have to confess my first reaction was : "WTF is that doing there?" :o

image.png.0c6afca46632b58f3f1f519a3d81d2f7.png

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

If only that was all they did!  Just been watching Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys. Last episode, he was on a Paignton to Tiverton trip. Oh good (I thought), some Dartmouth Steam Railway action to look forward to. Cue a background scene of a "USA 6046" steam locomotive crossing a level crossing. I have to confess my first reaction was : "WTF is that doing there?" :o

image.png.0c6afca46632b58f3f1f519a3d81d2f7.png

Did you notice that when Mr Portillo and his companion got out of that train the loco had magically changed to a GW variety with a proper (brass) safety valve bonnet?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It's all about looking for custom from generations who post-date working steam, and trying to appeal to the kids, who know Thomas, Gordon, Henry et al by name and colour, not number. ISTR the same railway has a 'Braveheart' plate on a BR standard, and a couple of seasons ago had a Manor painted in black (good ) and renumbered (bad, bad, bad, very naughty!). 

The heritage sector, as often noted in these pages, needs income to survive. We, the true enthusiasts, form a small and diminishing part of the market that supports them. Sad fact. 

I also heard that the coaches have names of the grandchildren of employees of the line.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Then it is our beholden duty to stand at the end of every heritage railway platform wearing a light brown anorak and to accost members of the public in a slightly strangulated voice, thusly:

"Of course, you know that livery is all wrong, don't you? I think you'll find that when it was first 'ex-works' (I'll come back to that later) it wouldn't have been lined at all. You see..." Etc, etc...

:jester:

(Then take a sip of your weak lemon drink.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13