A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2020 at 13:51, Oldddudders said:

had a Manor painted in black (good ) and renumbered (bad, bad, bad, very naughty!).

What if renumbering is prototypical for ex GWR locos (Windsor Castle)?

:-)

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

On 17/01/2020 at 21:00, Mallard60022 said:

Don't suppose anyone got anything from the Vectis Auction today? Their commission is a bit steep IMO.

Ar$£

Despite being a twenty minute drive away, I did not go to this one, mainly as there was not anything I really needed. In the past a significant amount of the stuff was bought between two ebay traders. I suspect much of the kit builds will be available again, very soon, in smaller lots.

Mike Wiltshire

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2020 at 09:27, Coach bogie said:

Despite being a twenty minute drive away, I did not go to this one, mainly as there was not anything I really needed. In the past a significant amount of the stuff was bought between two ebay traders. I suspect much of the kit builds will be available again, very soon, in smaller lots.

Mike Wiltshire

That's their 'business' presumably. Do it full-time and I suppose you could make a living?

P

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I wonder if the N gauge version would give me the chance to play with that distance/perspective idea? 

Alternatively 

655245967_n69025.jpg.52560460c6c57223392315b3f67dc774.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I've just tried some from the West Cornwall Pasty Co.

Quite good!

They could be shipping them by express rail freight via Brent (hint).

We'd better reinstate the automatic mail exchange equipment, so that locals can enjoy these delicacies in the freshest possible manner.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

We'd better reinstate the automatic mail exchange equipment, so that locals can enjoy these delicacies in the freshest possible manner.

I tried sending you one as an attachment, but my email software complained it was too big. :huh:

Fortunately, the West Cornwall has decided to make an emergency shipment by rail, in a hastely requisitioned GW goods fruit van. The factory is in Threemilestone, near Truro, but the nearest railway station (and their top-secret pasty production private loading dock) is at Chasewater Station (close to Jolly's Bottom). Coincidentally, the home of TwelveHeads Press, a fine publisher of West Country railway books.

The West Cornwall News photographer was on hand to record the momentus occasion, and an emotional crowd of well-wishers from the factory, waving goodbye to their prize-winning products.  I checked with the despatcher. It has to connect to more goods wagons in Truro, and the pasties are routed via Brent for some reason. Please can you take good care of them?

WestCornwallPastyTrain2.png.5df2cb6bb87977a2ffcf14d4405bb38f.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Agreed:

https://www.philpspasties.co.uk/

Their postal service is rapid and the pasties refeeze and reheat perfectly - still taste like the ones hot out of the shop.  That's quite an achievement apparently.

Others come close, but never this good.

There's a good pastie shop on the concourse at Liverpool Street Station.  Then again, almost anything (bar Ginsters)  would taste good as you alight the last train home full of ale and merriment.   I must try one sober one day to see what they really taste like...................

• Like 2
  • Funny 3