A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Every show lately I seem to come away with a wagon kit and here's the latest. A SR 5 plank open to diagram D1375 built from the Cambrian kit. Buffers from Dave Franks. Looks OK to a blind man on a galloping horse....

998167884_DSCN6226(2).JPG.49f0ba9f7ec73790e9b2a21e28f632b0.JPG875966125_DSCN6228(2).JPG.5550ae5b7efab462e64e2b70e335383d.JPG744268283_DSCN6229(2).JPG.d75187a0f8ff818d89870cd9318fbd44.JPG

And then they come to me :) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Every show lately I seem to come away with a wagon kit and here's the latest. A SR 5 plank open to diagram D1375 built from the Cambrian kit. Buffers from Dave Franks. Looks OK to a blind man on a galloping horse....

998167884_DSCN6226(2).JPG.49f0ba9f7ec73790e9b2a21e28f632b0.JPG875966125_DSCN6228(2).JPG.5550ae5b7efab462e64e2b70e335383d.JPG744268283_DSCN6229(2).JPG.d75187a0f8ff818d89870cd9318fbd44.JPG

Nice build Robin. 

The Cambrian Kits are good value for money and generally build up well with a bit of fettling and sometimes. 

Look forwards to seeing this finished. I've one needs lettering up on my workbench. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The later kits from Cambrian come with a one piece underframe made up already that you just add bearings and axleboxes too. The young Jedi prefers the paints from Vallejo , so instead of Precision will use US earth brown [VAL 71-290] for the SR brown. If you ask nicely he will shew his rather nice paint rack for them he has.:D

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The later kits from Cambrian come with a one piece underframe made up already that you just add bearings and axleboxes too. The young Jedi prefers the paints from Vallejo , so instead of Precision will use US earth brown [VAL 71-290] for the SR brown. If you ask nicely he will shew his rather nice paint rack for them he has.:D

Now don't take the Sith Robin, I do use Precision & Railmatch occasionally (for buildings) - I've just found a number of paints in the Vallejo Model Air Range that give a very close match to those used by certain Railway model manufacturer's. :jester:

panit_rack_02.jpg.b5d4eaa57ff2f71eb640ffc7838c6587.jpg

In this wonderful weather a 48xx went topless ;) 

48xx_01.jpg.5a1eedc73087603e988a8020da42d5bb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

Now don't take the Sith Robin, I do use Precision & Railmatch occasionally (for buildings) - I've just found a number of paints in the Vallejo Model Air Range that give a very close match to those used by certain Railway model manufacturer's. :jester:

In this wonderful weather a 48xx went topless ;) 

48xx_01.jpg.5a1eedc73087603e988a8020da42d5bb.jpg

Any you can share?
Very big fan of the Vallejo range, especially Model Air.  
Other than a good match for roof grey, BR warning yellow and a reasonable GW brown (German cam black brown), I have struggled to find more matches.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The young Jedi prefers the paints from Vallejo , so instead of Precision will use US earth brown [VAL 71-290] for the SR brown. If you ask nicely he will shew his rather nice paint rack for them he has.:D

Thanks for that Robin. I'll give that earth brown a try next time some SR appears on the workbench. 

I've been using Vallejo Panzer Aces 302 Dark Rust for SR freight stock brown. 

Classix Nouveaux..

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

I've just found a number of paints in the Vallejo Model Air Range that give a very close match to those used by certain Railway model manufacturer's. :jester:

That's an impressive rack... ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Thanks for that Robin. I'll give that earth brown a try next time some SR appears on the workbench. 

I've been using Vallejo Panzer Aces 302 Dark Rust for SR freight stock brown. 

As there are quite a few SR fans that follow this thread I'm sure they'll let me know if it looks wrong. The Vallejo range is a much cheaper product than the authentic railway colours from Railmatch/ Precision.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Any you can share?
Very big fan of the Vallejo range, especially Model Air.  
Other than a good match for roof grey, BR warning yellow and a reasonable GW brown (German cam black brown), I have struggled to find more matches.

71.004 Red for the Buffer Beam's

71.042 Brown for GWR Brown - which I've used for Robin & Ben's Clerestory Stock.

71.047 & 71.048 (Greys) for freight.

71.053 & 71.054 (which are greys) for roof's

71.290 US Earth Brown for freight stock - I've used it on Bloaters & Beetles to great effect (also helps on touch ups on Hornby Chocolate & Cream Mk.1's)

71.324 BS Dark Green - this is a recent discovery, it's actually a good paint for touch up GWR Green (well one of the shades Hornby uses)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

As there are quite a few SR fans that follow this thread I'm sure they'll let me know if it looks wrong. The Vallejo range is a much cheaper product than the authentic railway colours from Railmatch/ Precision.

They also both brush paint well and Airbrush well (once you know how ;) )

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

and Airbrush well (once you know how ;) )

Is there a particular technique to these acrylic paints, then?

I've never liked spraying acrylics, dry much too quickly for my liking. I did try weathering a parcels van with the airbrush a few years ago, with the 'spray it on and wipe it off' method, that I use with enamels. I had a rude awakening and ended up with a rather dirtier van than I had intended.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

71.004 Red for the Buffer Beam's

71.042 Brown for GWR Brown - which I've used for Robin & Ben's Clerestory Stock.

71.047 & 71.048 (Greys) for freight.

71.053 & 71.054 (which are greys) for roof's

71.290 US Earth Brown for freight stock - I've used it on Bloaters & Beetles to great effect (also helps on touch ups on Hornby Chocolate & Cream Mk.1's)

71.324 BS Dark Green - this is a recent discovery, it's actually a good paint for touch up GWR Green (well one of the shades Hornby uses)

That's very useful and duly noted. Thank you. Do you have a match for GWR cream?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Is there a particular technique to these acrylic paints, then?

I've never liked spraying acrylics, dry much too quickly for my liking. I did try weathering a parcels van with the airbrush a few years ago, with the 'spray it on and wipe it off' method, that I use with enamels. I had a rude awakening and ended up with a rather dirtier van than I had intended.

Vallejo Model Air is pre-thinned, so it will spray straight from the bottle - though I tend to put a few drops of their own thinners in the bottom of the colour cup before spraying. Depending on the airbrush and compressor keep the pressure fairly low (about 18 PSI). Worth noting you must really give the bottle a good shake to start with or if it's been sat for a while - otherwise when you spray it you can get strange results and especially with the metallic colours they won't dry for ages.

I usually keep the airbrush between 6 to 8 inches away from the subject I'm weathering. If I'm painting and entire model the airbrush is much closer.

Vallejo is a proper acrylic so drying time depends on the temperature and moisture in the air.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

As a Vallejo / AK / airbrush user I have also added some Vallejo Retarder Medium in the past which can help, obviously relevant to what your intended use is e.g. Weathering / wiping off. I also tend to use a very small amount of airbrush thinner on a cotton bud removing the build up on the end of the airbrush whilst spraying, very quick and easy.

G

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
On 16/02/2020 at 12:47, gwrrob said:

They have changed the packaging and it is a very tempting shape and colour…...I had to get my buddies to force me not to buy any, or Parksides, at Donny. I'm still twitching.

Nice job Rob.

P

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

They have changed the packaging and it is a very tempting shape and colour…...I had to get my buddies to force me not to buy any, or Parksides, at Donny. I'm still twitching.

Nice job Rob.

P

Pahh!!!!

Force him not to buy. Poor Steve didn't even get a chance to look at the stand before our mother Duck rounded us up and made us waddle off to look at some train set saying " We couldn't afford them and we didn't need them".

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 13/02/2020 at 17:46, gwrrob said:

Talking of legends and I see Saint class 2999 Lady of Legend is visiting the SVR for the spring gala in April.

https://www.svr.co.uk/SEItem.aspx?a=146&fbclid=IwAR3770OVstpN28P0-ppQ2srwJnq2BnsdBZa0pk5c4UWQHc-SGo2mZ94xvdk

Thanks for the heads up on this Robin.  Will definitely be visiting and just booked accommodation.  Junior Clearwaters will be in favour of joining.  mrs clearwater seems less convinced that she really wants to join us.  Bit of a mystery really.  I hope they have the Saint pulling some of their toplights and other chocolate and cream stock!

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Really pleased about and thanks for all the support and likes for the Cambrian open and 5551.

Superb prairie portrait.  Looks great with the signal behind it.  More close-ups like this please!

(Was just about to start yesterday on my second Cambrian SR 5 plank open when my magnifying lamp blew its bulb. New one on order.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2