A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Good Evening all,

Writing this is as near to modelling as I have got this weekend as have been on Family duty!

Its our eldest sons birthday today and younger son is down from the wilds of Flintshire with his family.

So yesterday was 10 pin bowling, lunch at Frankies and Bennys, then chilling out watching the France/Wales rugby at eldest son's.

The least said about the match the better, especially as Welsh daughter in law was not amused by it, even less so when her 5 year old daughter said she wanted France to win!!   

Today we hosted lunch for 9, and just managed to get cleared up for the England Ireland match, a much better affair (and not just because England won!).

We have just finished loading the second wash into the dish washer and  packing away the clean first load.

Just enough energy left  to complete these notes, acknowledge a few posts,  and answer the weekend's accumulation of emails before bed.

Will post something on modelling during the week.

Keep smiling

Paul     

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2020 at 18:34, toboldlygo said:

They also both brush paint well and Airbrush well (once you know how ;) )

One more question on the Vallejo matches, Have you seen anything close to light and dark stone in their range?

Just opened my Phoenix tins to pain some buildings and they are dry. I’d rather go for Vallejo if they do something suitable (rather than having to wait for the Bristol show in March to buy some Phoenix without ott postage)

thanks 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

One more question on the Vallejo matches, Have you seen anything close to light and dark stone in their range?

Just opened my Phoenix tins to pain some buildings and they are dry. I’d rather go for Vallejo if they do something suitable (rather than having to wait for the Bristol show in March to buy some Phoenix without ott postage)

thanks 

I'll have a look and see if I can find suitable matches ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

You might want to try this.....

Dark Stone

20 drop   Tan   71079

4   drops  Mahogany   71036

1   drop   White   71001

1   drop   Red   71269

Light Stone

50-50 mix

Tan  71079

Beige   71074

Seems to work for me.

G

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just had the same problem with dried up tins of Phoenix dark and light stone.

while in Homebase ( yes Frome still has one)  I was wondering if any of these Farrow and Ball colours are close  - So I bought a £5 sample pot of Red Earth as dark stone . I’m not sure about light stone  .....

C1B237E1-172E-4C1E-B710-CF463A84A35B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If you have a sample or colour photo you can upload it to a site like this

http://colormaid.spektran.com/color-picker/

You can get a RAL code from that and all vallejo paints have a RAL code on the bottle.

There are also pantone finders out there and some model shops online have charts showing various manufacturers paints with pantone equivalent

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bgman said:

You might want to try this.....

Dark Stone

20 drop   Tan   71079

4   drops  Mahogany   71036

1   drop   White   71001

1   drop   Red   71269

Light Stone

50-50 mix

Tan  71079

Beige   71074

Seems to work for me.

G

There's also 71.140 US Desert Sand with a drop or two of 71.076  Skin tone for Light Stone - 20 to 1 or 2 drop ratio.

71.105 Brown (RLM26) Matt on it's own or lightened slightly with 71.079 Beige. for Dark Stone.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, colin penfold said:

If you have a sample or colour photo you can upload it to a site like this

http://colormaid.spektran.com/color-picker/

You can get a RAL code from that and all vallejo paints have a RAL code on the bottle.

There are also pantone finders out there and some model shops online have charts showing various manufacturers paints with pantone equivalent

There's also an app available on Android (possibly for Apple) called Hobby Color Converter, which I've found extremely handy for finding close or near exact matches for paints.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to both for the suggestions for light / dark stone, but I think I will just hold fire until I can source some of the Phoenix shades.  Really dont get on well with trying to mix paints to get the shade I need, so unless theres a match straight from the bottle I will stick with the "real" rail ranges.

Now if only someone would comission Vallejo to do a range of British colours......

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Now if only someone would comission Vallejo to do a range of British colours..

Tried that with an e-mail to them over three years ago and didn't even get an acknowledgement, sent twice more without any response.

Maybe if they were to get enough modellers bothered to contact them it might make them think ?

Meanwhile AK Interactive have introduced their 3rd Generation Acrylic paints

https://ak-interactive.com/product-category/paints/paints-acrylics/acrylics-v3/3rd-single/

and also their download conversion charts

https://ak-interactive.com/downloads/

G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I'm yet to buy a product from Oxford Rail but their GER 10 ton goods van looks promising judging by today's cad's. You do never know with OR.

2121777029_OR76GEGV001NE10TCoveredvan.jpgA.jpg.18103dfd98dd0e22ec371e9848545e41.jpg

Thanks Robin,

I've one of these on order and it looks good in the CAD drawing. 

Regarding Oxford the LNER 5 Plank wagon isn't half bad and is a good layout wagon offering a bit of variety.

Some of the RCH POW 7 Planks fit the bill nicely. The Baldwin version is tasty minus the coke rails. Even PMP rates them... 

CK's Dean Goods doesn't look half bad either... 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 4

The one thing I have noticed with Oxford's wagons is the way in which they seem to always couple up easily, unlike some of the other products OEM coupling systems on the market !

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, bgman said:

The one thing I have noticed with Oxford's wagons is the way in which they seem to always couple up easily, unlike some of the other products OEM coupling systems on the market !

They do indeed couple up easily, but with almost enough space between them to squeeze another wagon in.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

40 minutes ago, bgman said:

5 minutes ago, checkrail said:

They do indeed couple up easily, but with almost enough space between them to squeeze another wagon in.

Maybe that's why the Hornby Hobbies shop in Swindon is selling them? As "compatible" with Hornby Railroad wagon couplings.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bgman said:

Tried that with an e-mail to them over three years ago and didn't even get an acknowledgement, sent twice more without any response.

Maybe if they were to get enough modellers bothered to contact them it might make them think ?

I had thought much the same, though I think what it really needs is a UK wholesaler to approach them. 

Anyone got a good contact at Hattons?

They have been moving into the accessory market with ballast etc, so paint would seem a logical follow up (particularly given it would wipe the floor with the competition.)

If I make it to Warley this year I will try and get 5 minutes with them before the show opens.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

Most of my purchases these days are of kits or older RTR for conversions or upgrades. However, when I do buy new items it seems NEM pocket mountings and the couplings themselves are getting forever worse. Almost to the point it seems like “Coupling? Oh er, we forgot. Never mind, we’ll just stuff this wobbly thing on there. They’ll buy it anyway”. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Most of my purchases these days are of kits or older RTR for conversions or upgrades. However, when I do buy new items it seems NEM pocket mountings and the couplings themselves are getting forever worse. Almost to the point it seems like “Coupling? Oh er, we forgot. Never mind, we’ll just stuff this wobbly thing on there. They’ll buy it anyway”. 

Hi Trevor,

Got some examples and maybe pics for a " Hall of Shame"? 

Conversely, apart from the aforesaid OR wagons, who do we think has good Ready to Run NEM coupling pockets and couplings?

(Think I'll quietly run away now and hope to miss the bricks and other forms of abuse!!):help:

Cheers:mosking:

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi Trevor,

Got some examples and maybe pics for a " Hall of Shame"? 

Conversely, apart from the aforesaid OR wagons, who do we think has good Ready to Run NEM coupling pockets and couplings?

(Think I'll quietly run away now and hope to miss the bricks and other forms of abuse!!):help:

Cheers:mosking:

Paul

You're trying to get me banned from the Brownies aren't you Paul!

Seeing as you asked though, I was particularly disappointed with the droopy, slack appendage hung from the front of Kernow's D6XX Warship. My attempt at sorting it is here: D600 coupling mod. About half way down the page. You've already mentioned Oxford's wagons which are particularly bad. Also I've already commented about the Model Rail 16XX on the appropriate page so I won't say any more here ... oops I just have... Dapol's D63XX is a bit iffy and many wagons in red boxes. What makes some of these examples worse is that they are built in such a way that to make any worthwhile mods require wholesale butchery. It shouldn't be necessary, this is 2020 not 1950.

Before anyone jumps in I'm well aware that many folk make their own, or fit systems which don't need the NEM pocket. In an ideal world so would I, but I have a layout to build plus research/obtain/build/modify engines, stock and buildings for, so until I have nothing better to do I am reliant on the NEM pocket to use whichever coupling suits the application.

Good ones? I'll argue against myself about sticking to standards. I like the type fitted to some Bachmann wagons where the pocket is tucked up under the chassis i.e. it's 'too high'. Bachmann fit a cracked tension lock but it makes fitting these a possibility Fixed Instanter Couplings for short rakes of wagons.

Now off to find a rock to hide behind...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1