A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

On 31/03/2020 at 18:00, brushman47544 said:

Must say that black livery grows on me. Never thought I’d say that - perhaps it’s the G (crest) W on the tender that makes the difference compared to BR black with early emblem or late crest.

Once I know a GWR engine went into GWR Wartime Black, then I make it an aim to add that engine into the collection as I find it to be a unusual livery which has very little to go by unless you documentation or photographs to show an engine in the livery.

So far a Hall, 2251 and 28xx have gone under the repaint scheme into War Black. Future projects include a Dean Goods, 38xx, Grange and ROD. Also looking at a Castle and King but of course in GWR green with cab shielding :)

Garethp8873.

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Totally agree and I feel the same way with the all over brown too. Bachmann are hopefully releasing their pannier in this livery in May, world events permitting.

A brown pannier......? 

You'll have Miss Agutter waving her bloomers at that!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Must say that black livery grows on me. Never thought I’d say that - perhaps it’s the G (crest) W on the tender that makes the difference compared to BR black with early emblem or late crest.

In our model world of the third decade of the 21st C it does indeed look very fetching. However,back then in the late 1940’s such a sight would be rare if not impossible.Pure filth all but obscured the delicacies of both lettering and livery.

I agree though,it does “look nice”.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

In our model world of the third decade of the 21st C it does indeed look very fetching. However,back then in the late 1940’s such a sight would be rare if not impossible.Pure filth all but obscured the delicacies of both lettering and livery.

I agree though,it does “look nice”.

We are blessed Ian to have guys like you around who we can tap into knowledge wise as you was there.:drink_mini:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

For a good photographic record of the late 1940’s and into the 1950’s ,the work of Huw Daniel and others in ‘The Red Dragon and Other Old Friends’ is hard to surpass.It covers GW/WR and LMS/LMR in the Swansea/Neath area between c1947 and c1963. Highly recommended but now rare.Many of the photos illustrate the sorry run down state of the railways at the time. Some however seem to buck the trend.Catch it if you can 

• Informative/Useful 5

Greetings to all Nodders,

A couple of shots that may be of (G)WR interest...

An N34 loco coal wagon from a 3D print by Stafford Road model works.

831294780_N34003.JPG.dc67e77c86aed945b427143d38b90a0e.JPG1476094026_N34004.JPG.8d8f0b86e6afb25f30458bf6ce0e056f.JPG369971983_N34005.JPG.53e04743651c817896843a56e72f6756.JPG

And for no other reason than it is cute..a Hornby IOW terrier repainted to BR Black!

1049470993_N34007.JPG.a7bc31c279b610a38c928d78fb336e0e.JPG376445814_N34008.JPG.cb0ed5cc866ab1ee22b91c848d92013b.JPG

This self-isolation really concentrates the mind!

Cheers from Fortess WestOZ,

Peter C.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

For a good photographic record of the late 1940’s and into the 1950’s ,the work of Huw Daniel and others in ‘The Red Dragon and Other Old Friends’ is hard to surpass.It covers GW/WR and LMS/LMR in the Swansea/Neath area between c1947 and c1963. Highly recommended but now rare.Many of the photos illustrate the sorry run down state of the railways at the time. Some however seem to buck the trend.Catch it if you can 

Another one worth having is Great Western Pictorial No. 2: The Hubback Collection.  Lots of wartime and late 40s shots with many commendably clean Castles & Kings, various oil burners and a Saint in wartime black.  (Loads of good 30s stuff in there too, which was why I bought it!)

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

Another big plus to the Hubback Collection is that it's not one of those full of 3/4 loco views where the photographer seems to have treated the surroundings as a distracting irrelevance.  Many of the pics are taken from the angles from which we view our layouts, with plenty of landscape, civils and railway infrastructure.  Many of the scenes just cry out to be modelled.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Vol 1, GWR in the 1930s, Fraser, Geen and Scott, illustration 73 (there are no page numbers!) is of Kingstone Grange, 6820, on coal empties when only a few months old. Lovely pic too.

Alastair M

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A final few for today as 6822 Manton Grange heads west and meets Hall class 5998 Trevor Hall which is on an up parcels.

Lovely finish on both those locos.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, checkrail said:

All good, but those first two platform-level shots with the footbridge are fab.

You started it.:drink_mini:

1462982852_DSCN6353(2)bw.jpg.2f0b48cee6e35b9ec651e82dc7cc0a1d.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1