A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

On 31/03/2020 at 18:00, brushman47544 said:

Must say that black livery grows on me. Never thought I’d say that - perhaps it’s the G (crest) W on the tender that makes the difference compared to BR black with early emblem or late crest.

If you like black, here is Westbury's 635 in black, but not for long. As soon as the paint hardens, it will go green. I am making the most of the sunshine painting weather.

Mike Wiltshire

633alr.jpg.197993124ca425457432c480647dda98.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2020 at 18:39, Garethp8873 said:

So far a Hall, 2251 and 28xx have gone under the repaint scheme into War Black. Future projects include a Dean Goods, 38xx, Grange and ROD. Also looking at a Castle and King but of course in GWR green with cab shielding :)

Garethp8873.

Two castles were refinished in black.  5018 St Mawes was one.......  Yiewsley Grange was black. 

Kings were always turned out in Lined Green.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, M.I.B said:

Two castles were refinished in black.  5018 St Mawes was one.......  Yiewsley Grange was black. 

At least one king was turned out in green with no lining (there was a link to a photo in the old DJM king thread.)  Only issue is I can’t remember which!   

would be interesting to know how long post war the unlined king and the black castles lasted.   My suspicion is that by late 47 they would be back in lines green. 

So far my wartime black fleet consists of a 4200, a 4500, a grange and a star (along with a Hall that is still awaiting black paint).  With a plan to add a finney 2721 pannier at some point given the one at Newton was black.  A black castle would be very very tempting if I could be convinced it was still black in October 47...

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

would be interesting to know how long post war the unlined king and the black castles lasted.   My suspicion is that by late 47 they would be back in lines green. 

If it had a deep shop in 43 or 44 it was probably black, but not definitely.  Castles and Kings stayed Green (apart from 2 Castles)   All new build Halls during WW2 were black, un-named and had no side windows at all.

I haven't yet seen any photos of 47XX in black, but a statement like that opens floodgates........

Add the average time between new boilers to the above and that gives you a timezone for black engines.

There will always be the exception - this is the GWR after all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know why the GWR didn't want to paint its locos black. Both the two major railways had started to paint most their engines black well before WW2, the red one chose it even for its biggest engines after the war, the nice green one had gone back to that lovely bright, refreshing and pleasing green for those important locos.

Ouch...I have just been dug in the ribs by someone who has reminded me about that railway the wrong side of the Thames.  They too painted some of their locos in black and the others in what ever shade of green was on sale in Woolworths that week.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

I have an informative list given to me by someone on this thread of 4-6-0s painted in the 1942-44 period, giving colour painted. Kings were green on this list but no mention of being unlined unfortunately. There are 75 Halls on this list.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

bit of a long shot given how long ago it was posted.....

a few years ago on this thread appeared a photo of the Kingsbridge branch brake van (an AA3)

having finally got round to modelling it, I can’t find the photo....   don’t suppose anyone saved a copy down so I don’t need to crawl back through hundreds of pages?

trying to confirm its number, and whether the ends were plated...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, The Fatadder said:

There's a photo of it in the William's book and the number was 35662.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

There's a photo of it in the William's book and the number was 35662.

Unfortunately not the photo I was thinking of, the one I had in mind was in postwar livery with the small G W branding.  Unfortunately the photo in the book is in much older condition with fully planked sides.  

I’m now starting to wonder if it’s something I’ve seen on eBay.

im certain I saved it down, but don’t seem to have filed it properly.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Ouch...I have just been dug in the ribs by someone who has reminded me about that railway the correct side of the Thames. 

Edited for accuracy...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

On 06/04/2020 at 10:13, The Fatadder said:

bit of a long shot given how long ago it was posted.....

a few years ago on this thread appeared a photo of the Kingsbridge branch brake van (an AA3)

having finally got round to modelling it, I can’t find the photo....   don’t suppose anyone saved a copy down so I don’t need to crawl back through hundreds of pages?

So far has turned up this image, this the one?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, mdvle said:

So far has turned up this image, this the one?

Unfortunately not, that is in BR condition. 

I have been through all of my saved photos with no success (and built my model from memory), but I think now I am going to start in jan 15 and trawl through Robin's thread...

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/04/2020 at 09:27, M.I.B said:

Mind me asking where did you learn that? I was under the assumption that the GWR Castles only went into GWR Green and not Black.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Mind me asking where did you learn that? I was under the assumption that the GWR Castles only went into GWR Green and not Black.

Certainly black Castles are something I would like to see some photos of, especially any evidence that they hadnt been repainted by nationalisation.  Does anyone have the Book of the Castles?  Would be interesting to know when it next had a major works visit after the War.    Unfortunately the only Castle reference book I have is the Pen & Sword book (which while very useful for allocations and tender details doesnt contain works visits.) 

I have done some digging through my notes and found the details of the unlined green King, which was 6022 (the photo is on Colour Rail dated 1948).  I dont need a forth King (I didnt really need the third) however once all this Covid 19 mess is over and things get back to normal I think I may well be tempted.   (Though that black Castle is even more tempting at the moment!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Garethp8873 said:

It's been listed on here a number of times by various folk.  The man who knows all the intricate details of the castles is Didcot's very own "Castle" who frequent these parts.  He has stated which two were black at least once on here.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

It's been listed on here a number of times by various folk.  The man who knows all the intricate details of the castles is Didcot's very own "Castle" who frequent these parts.  He has stated which two were black at least once on here.

Would be the thread in question, it does once again make me think I need a copy of the book of the castles!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Would be the thread in question, it does once again make me think I need a copy of the book of the castles!

What would be the best donor to model 5018 or 5001 then ?

• Like 1