A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert has started his poll for best 4-6-0.

Quick everyone, get over there and vote for the GW Castle otherwise some strange Eastern thing might win.....:huh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Taz said:

Quick everyone, get over there and vote for the GW Castle otherwise some strange Eastern thing might win.....:huh:

Don't waste your time unless you are going to suggest a nice Black Five or Standard Class Five. :rtfm:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Don't waste your time unless you are going to suggest a nice Black Five or Standard Class Five. :rtfm:

Boo, hisss :P

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Too late, I already nominated the Jubilee.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Too late, I already nominated the Jubilee.

I am going to be serious for once on this thread. How can two very similar looking classes be so different in MY opinion about how they look? I really like the look of a Blackie but where the Jubilee is only about a foot longer its proportions seem wrong to my eyes. They are not as ugly as some locomotives of the same wheel arrangement that came form other railway workshops.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

13 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am going to be serious for once on this thread. How can two very similar looking classes be so different in MY opinion about how they look? I really like the look of a Blackie but where the Jubilee is only about a foot longer its proportions seem wrong to my eyes. They are not as ugly as some locomotives of the same wheel arrangement that came form other railway workshops.

And then throw in a Royal Scot or a Patriot and they look similar too - didn't one Jubilee actually get deflectors.

And I like these engines.

Black 5 though - built by both the LMS and BR, is clearly the father of a standard class 5 and lasted until the very last steam train running on BR in 1968.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Interesting isn't it - I find the exact opposite. The Jubilee has the lines of a thoroughbred to my eyes. Only with the Stanier tender though - the Fowler tender looks stunted.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

And then throw in a Royal Scot or a Patriot and they look similar too - didn't one Jubilee actually get deflectors.

And I like these engines.

Black 5 though - built by both the LMS and BR, is clearly the father of a standard class 5 and lasted until the very last steam train running on BR in 1968.

Hi Woody

Two Jubilees were rebuilt with bigger boilers and both had smoke defectors after a short while. they were Comet and Phoenix. I believe they differed from a rebuilt Patriot in having a different design of bogie but visually they were the same.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Woody

Two Jubilees were rebuilt with bigger boilers and both had smoke defectors after a short while. they were Comet and Phoenix. I believe they differed from a rebuilt Patriot in having a different design of bogie but visually they were the same.

Amazing that two kit manufacturers would compete over such a niche model :huh:

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, great northern said:

I run some Castles Rob. Brancepeth, Kimbolton.......:jester:

Wash your mouth out young man or the naughty step beckons.:P

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And that's why I have the 'Captain's Black 5 test'.

If it looks like a Black 5, then it must be a Black 5.

You're welcome.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

And that's why I have the 'Captain's Black 5 test'.

If it looks like a Black 5, then it must be a Black 5.

You're welcome.

We like a Black 5. A very grown up 4.6.0. 

Rob. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Watching the tele and thinking about my holidays, that's entertainment.;)

547259042_cheermeup.jpg.64116a23c800df10a6b9add14a82f464.jpg

Those Ratio 4 wheelers get everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

On 13/05/2020 at 10:36, Taz said:

HR Castle was first!  GWR just followed!

Roja

• Like 2

10 hours ago, great northern said:

Fake news.:negative: And there was I being fair and above board too. It were very close though.

First HR Castle appeared in 1900.  I must admit not the best looking loco, tbh the GWR Castle looks better as do most of the LNER 4-6-0's, but they did the job they were designed for, which I suppose is the primary factor.  

Roja

20 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up on the imminent release from Hornby of their horsebox with a new number.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39782/Hornby-r6972-oo-gauge-gwr-n13-horse-box-540

I wonder if it has a model of Shergar inside......now that would be an exclusive !

J.Ockey

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, bgman said:

I wonder if it has a model of Shergar inside......now that would be an exclusive !

Of course all anybody remembers about Shergar is his disappearance, which is a pity. He was a remarkable horse. I have a bit of a story.

Derby Day 1981 and Deb, used to following the turf although hardly a gambler, and I were on the train to London to work. She said Shergar was gonna win. When I got to work my boss (Divisional Movements Manager, South Eastern Division)  asked what was going to win - so I said Shergar. That afternoon he was in a meeting when some operating crisis blew up, about which he needed to know. So I waltzed in, gave him the news about the crisis and said Shergar had won by 10 lengths - the longest margin in Derby history. Clever clogs, huh?

Deb had got her hot tip from the Guardian racing correspondent, Richard Baerlein, who had implored people to "bet like men" on Shergar. He had been busy with bookies from long before the race, placing early bets as long as 33-1, and when Shergar passed the post he made so much money he bought a house in Sussex - and called it Shergar!

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A heads up on the imminent release from Hornby of their horsebox with a new number.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39782/Hornby-r6972-oo-gauge-gwr-n13-horse-box-540

Well, Rails & Hornby call it an N!3, but isn't this actually an N16 of 1937 vintage sporting a livery that it never carried?  Looks nice though.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1