A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Is there something nice and Green coming along shortly @GWRrob? Maybe a nice Pannier on a local, or a Castle on the Down main?

Well there is something coming in Green - but it's in the production queue at the Works...

engineShed_27.jpg.0195e1a546b62b540d317d7c581ce8d1.jpg

.. the shed is the priority atm ;) 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

What we really need is an Austerity or a ROD. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

I second that...:P

Yes but I always put her coaches in the wrong order and get roasted for it.:mellow:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Asking for a friend obviously but how does the Bachmann Austerity model stack up in running qualities etc and is there a version specifically used on Western metals.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

14 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Asking for a friend obviously but how does the Bachmann Austerity model stack up in running qualities etc and is there a version specifically used on Western metals.

You can tell your friend that mine is a very strong and delightfully smooth runner. Useful details about which version to go for posted by Glenn at the link below, showing Laira's 77161 based on a nice photo of her in the GWRJ.

Don't make the mistake I did and buy a Western Region modified version with the fire iron tunnel and clack valve cover added - quite a bit of research after the purchase suggested that these modifications weren't added by Swindon til '48/49. In '47, most WDs on the GWR still seem to have had the original air pumps fitted, so I ended up buying the Army green version that had these: 

Edited by BenL
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Runs nicely - very slow too. Early ones had tender derailing issues (like their N Class) & needs the aftermarket Tool Rack on the tender (LP900 from 247 Developments).

Yes there is and you've been looking at it (taller clacks valve cover)- forgot to mention the Austerity was Western Region ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Runs nicely - very slow too. Early ones had tender derailing issues (like their N Class) & needs the aftermarket Tool Rack on the tender (LP900 from 247 Developments).

Yes there is and you've been looking at it (taller clacks valve cover)- forgot to mention the Austerity was Western Region ;) 

I have one of those etched trinkets and will post on should anyone want it.......just need to remember where it is.......

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BenL said:

Don't make the mistake I did and buy a Western Region modified version with the fire iron tunnel and clack valve cover added - quite a bit of research after the purchase suggested that these modifications weren't added by Swindon til '48/49.

Glad I wasnt the only one to make that mistake.  Though I havent yet got around to removing the additional parts to back date it, I will at some point (when I get around to dirtying it up).

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

My friend tells me that a certain Norman Lockhart took a photo of WD 7294 [90359] later 77294 on the west of England mainline, again in Somerset.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

:drink_mini:

244702735_DSCN5851(3).JPG.5bdd1f136932f4f495609c5faa689189.JPG

Nice trees. 

• Funny 6