A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

So, are South Western residents more concerned about the virus or the litter? The question is rhetorical, of course, because I have no idea. But would you welcome a coachload of folk from, say, Leicester, right now? And their expectations are a bit elevated. Yesterday morning, at 07.00, Sherry's neighbour, who has virus-phobia down to a fine art and walks at silly hours of the morning to avoid people, met a family just arrived from Leeds. They were in genteel St Marychurch - looking for breakfast. I'm not sure they'd ever have found much there at that time, but right now things are still a bit sleepy, apparently.

And yes, the virus has caused a lot of business pain. Just around the corner from Sherry is a rather ordinary hotel that would regularly have four National Holidays coaches parked in its tiny yard. They, and Shearings, Wallace Arnold and Caledonian Travel, among others, have gone broke, and the hotel's prime source of guest just expired. None of this is nice. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

None of this is nice. 

And especially the effects of this virus on some folk, which just seem to be getting worse and worse, with reports of it affecting various organs of the body, not just the lungs and even the brain.

And it's probably (but not exclusively) the older generations that will get hit hardest. There is a disproportionately large older population here in the South West.

Would I rather be healthy but destitute or financially secure but with my health permanently damaged for the rest of my life?

It's no contest.

And as for the litter, my thoughts on what I would do to those who leave it all over the place cannot be printed here.

I'm not joking when I say that any area that has a fighting chance of eradicating this disease should do whatever it takes to acquire the same status as the likes of New Zealand. Sorry if that upsets those who want to visit, but we'll still be here in one year, two years or whatever. Patience is a virtue.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Having been employed by a council as a litter picker for the last 8 years i have seen allsorts . No one age group can be singled out i have seen people throwing litter down just after we had cleared areas. What always makes me wonder is what their houses are like inside.

We not in a tourist area here. I think people would avoid our area .we have had cases but so far we are relatively virus free. This virus has destroyed lives and livelihoods yet 20% still believe it to be fake  then there are these that believe it spread by 5g Leeds is the nearest place to have 5g coverage to us. People 

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

One reason why you won't find the Captain visiting any public houses any time soon.

You won't be joining me for a pint of cider in The Packhorse Inn anytime soon then.:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

I'm sorry, but I still think there are practical things which could be done by residents of the SW (where I am a council tax payer) to safeguard the health of both residents and of vulnerable visitors such as myself. 

I don't believe holding up four letter words on motorway bridges falls within that description.

• Agree 6

Just now, gwrrob said:

Hoping to raise the spirits on this thread with another shot of the popular black pannier, here we see 9678 on an up service in 1957.

1767827262_DSCN5027(2).JPG.e6e1f8e27955714e68267e99c85443d8.JPG

You could argue that all over black is a form of LMS livery!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

You could argue that all over black is a form of LMS livery!

Before I opened the post, I was worried that it wasn’t that black pannier but that black pannier.

Glad I was wrong.

Paul.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You won't be joining me for a pint of cider in The Packhorse Inn anytime soon then.:D

Cider... yum :)

Would that be The Packhorse up the hill from Engine Wood perchance? ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
Pub
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

any area that has a fighting chance of eradicating this disease should do whatever it takes

I'm sorry to say that I don't believe that this disease will ever be eradicated. Like the common cold, it will probably always be with us.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Well said those people. Yesterday we saw an influx of houses on wheels arriving here in the middle of nowhere Lincolnshire. How long before we are no longer virus free?

Painful to the eyes, a real railway's livery applied daubed on a Swindon thingy. 

Even worse than the red LT thingy.:o

Brian

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Even worse than the red LT thingy.:o

Brian

Now you are getting cheeky, every right minded person knows that Underground red with Routemaster transfers is a proper livery for pannier tanks.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Hoping to raise the spirits on this thread with another shot of the popular black pannier, here we see 9678 on an up service in 1957.

Revisiting that photo and as I'm redoing that areas scenics, do people think this area would benefit from some static grass. No more gorse or brambles though.;)

1108398634_DSCN5027(3).JPG.ad33abf7cb51dca7fc2aaf82aa761e48.JPG

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, gwrrob said:

Revisiting that photo and as I'm redoing that areas scenics, do people think this area would benefit from some static grass. No more gorse or brambles though.;)

No, I think it looks right just as it is Rob.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Whilst its good fun with a new toy ( said with the greatest respect mate ) I think you could easily get carried away. Best left alone I'd say.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Cider... yum :)

Would that be The Packhorse up the hill from Engine Wood perchance? ;)

Not the pub of short-lived visitation during my youth, rather the one in South Brent, although it is not one I normally frequent. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I'm sorry, but I still think there are practical things which could be done by residents of the SW (where I am a council tax payer) to safeguard the health of both residents and of vulnerable visitors such as myself. 

I don't believe holding up four letter words on motorway bridges falls within that description.

Ah, I recall previous postings on this subject on this very thread, I believe. 

My views on this haven't changed,  as one might imagine. 

Payment of council tax on a second home in no way confers the same level of 'rights' as permanent residents. That's my robustly held view from long before this virus arrived and it remains the same now more than ever.

Sorry, but please don't take my remarks personally. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'm sorry to say that I don't believe that this disease will ever be eradicated. Like the common cold, it will probably always be with us.

Agreed, or 'flu.  It will mutate and change. 

Prompted me to do a bit of research.  According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, there are still outbreaks of bubonic plague!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I agree with the 'leave it aloners' Rob.  If anything I'd say randomly remove some of what's there to make it more patchy.

...Spoken by someone who is about to start struggling with this very aspect! Making it look natural is much harder than many think.

Edited by TrevorP1
typo
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Meanwhile its origins are being challenged. 

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/covid-19-may-not-originated-143843728.html?guce_referrer=ahr0chm6ly93d3cuzmfjzwjvb2suy29tlw&guce_referrer_sig=aqaaaniqbtw5yppcyv565f9npp2rf3vbqoq9qx5ywnl11sc66vksnfakj3uxrgacbjn9vgafpp59skwhyslndyw3uu96pth09454gvtxk8_iat3bfva4ux4qp4o_jtjhash0p-fouuzpihrwmvuzrgfpn9mjig2-ql7a3t_conyxfhut&guccounter=1

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

No, I think it looks right just as it is Rob.

The trouble with static grass is you can never stand still, there's always somewhere new. Anyway photos anon.

• Friendly/supportive 2