A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Rob, 

As a constructive comment -

Is it possible to tease out the fibre coverings on the tree in the first and second shots to give it more of a 3D effect ? 

If you can I think it would give the foliage more of a substantial feel.

G

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Is it possible to tease out the fibre coverings on the tree in the first and second shots to give it more of a 3D effect ? 

Will do G but I have a feeling it might be easier said than done after using a quality glue to fix the foliage.;) Maybe something to do before adding the leaves.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Ah, I recall previous postings on this subject on this very thread, I believe. 

My views on this haven't changed,  as one might imagine. 

Payment of council tax on a second home in no way confers the same level of 'rights' as permanent residents. That's my robustly held view from long before this virus arrived and it remains the same now more than ever.

Sorry, but please don't take my remarks personally. 

You are, of course, totally right that second home owners can't have the same rights as residents.  For example, you are entitled to vote in national and local elections in the area where you pay your council tax.  I am not, as  my entitlement lies elsewhere. 

You can, if you wish, suggest to your MP that his constituency's interests would be best served by a ban on travel from elsewhere in the UK.  Longer term, you can try to influence the SW tourist industry and economy by persuading your councillors to change their policies in areas such as planning (as done in St Ives) and in the licensing of camping and caravan sites and alcohol outlets. 

Whilst I suspect that our views on Saturday night's scenes in Newquay and elsewhere are broadly similar, the above options are not open to me.  However. when I next visit the area I shall try and do my bit by avoiding crowded areas and following social distancing guidelines when I do meet other people. 

No, nothing personal, just different viewpoints.  Maybe one day we can enjoy a pint somewhere, until then, back to enjoying the modelling.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

A few shots featuring King class 6022 King Edward 3 at the west end of the layout. @KNP will be pleased to hear a fence will be installed across the bank scene although no more of the damned GWR post & wire type this time. I took a tree out and put some brambles in place to try and open up the scenery. The bottom has been redressed using my favourite Noch leaves. 4 and 6mm static grasses were used on the bank.

1460481187_DSCN6819(2).JPG.f62d6d99ccc9c294c08ee9fde0647eb9.JPG

Very pleased and relieved  to know that safety comes first.
I now feel I can look at pictures  of this area without the worry of seeing a passerby falling over the edge....

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, KNP said:

without the worry of seeing a passerby falling over the edge....

Don Breckon has sat there for years and has never fell over the edge, :dance_mini:You don't work in 'elf n safety do you Kev.:D

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Don Breckon has sat there for years and has never fell over the edge, :dance_mini:You don't work in 'elf n safety do you Kev.:D

Retired now!

How do you Don didn’t fall over and had clambered back up by the time you returned....?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I really like the effect of the long grass in the foreground in this photo, 

That was my plan and I'd imagined stood in a golden field somewhere in the glorious South Hams.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

DSCN6822 (2).JPG

That view always reminds me of the embankment at Aish with Bittaford to the left. 

Photographed a Class 153 lash up there once... ;)

Very nicely composed rural shot by the way Robin.

Good to read about the scenic renovations. Certainly enhancing ANTB. 

Have you read Rob Gravett's Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing? A very informative read. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 7

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 20:32, Captain Kernow said:

And especially the effects of this virus on some folk, which just seem to be getting worse and worse, with reports of it affecting various organs of the body, not just the lungs and even the brain.

And it's probably (but not exclusively) the older generations that will get hit hardest. There is a disproportionately large older population here in the South West.

Would I rather be healthy but destitute or financially secure but with my health permanently damaged for the rest of my life?

It's no contest.

And as for the litter, my thoughts on what I would do to those who leave it all over the place cannot be printed here.

I'm not joking when I say that any area that has a fighting chance of eradicating this disease should do whatever it takes to acquire the same status as the likes of New Zealand. Sorry if that upsets those who want to visit, but we'll still be here in one year, two years or whatever. Patience is a virtue.

Well said, but once again unfortunately the many who are responsible get tarred by the brush of the mad fringe!

We have just booked a holiday for our larger family of 9 in Porthtowan, but for August 2021.

We don't drink to excess, we take our litter to the appropriate bins, and appreciate the locals and their environment.

I hope by the time we go all this will be forgotten and everyone (well, most folks!) will return to being responsible citizens.

Roll on August 2021!

Cheers to all

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

but, but those wheels look newly painted, so surely there would be a trampled path to them from who ever wheeled them there after painting.

Sorry, I'll get back to burning my fingers...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Well, nobody asked me to sign anything to say I have to grow up......

As an aid to recuperating and no real modelling being done I spread the 1271 pieces from this box across the carpet this afternoon and had a very enjoyable 5 hours

2010275292_croc1.jpg.42a8362668dea834ec65d5ef0de93d30.jpg

Never done one before and as it is railway related it did make me smile all the way through the build.

Ultimately it will be going to my grandson who I am certain will enjoy it.

G

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1