A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Bow, bow, ye lower middle classes!
Bow, bow, ye tradesmen! Bow, ye masses!
Blow the trumpets, bang the brasses!
Tantantara tzing boom!

CK has his mush in't August Toddler.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The+Peers+Chorus+UTube&&view=detail&mid=7BF592665C4B280C3A327BF592665C4B280C3A32&&FORM=VDRVSR

I include this as many years ago I actually did this part of Iolanthe. Yup a whole 4 performances. Still in Therapy.

The June issue hasn't made it to these parts yet so I'll have a long wait before I can pay homage.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

43 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

It's (not) LarkRail tomorrow :cry:

The calendar on my phone keeps reminding me too ! :cray_mini: 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

2 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

The sea looks cleaner too.

Only 'cos I haven't been down there for three months to wash my smalls in it ! :o

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It seems that Network Rail are upgrading the sea wall again at Dawlish. A new concrete promenade. The sea looks cleaner too.

AC1FBA35-8854-4A24-9367-D1FE769C0119.jpeg.4f0d708efc17ad427f803fb5fed15a4f.jpegF751F7EB-47D2-428D-8778-284B959DCF61.jpeg.4eedaef36860e3ec941d68b8572cccbc.jpeg

It won't be clean for much longer - once you've completed your annual inspection of MiM's facilities ;) :P 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It seems that Network Rail are upgrading the sea wall again at Dawlish. A new concrete promenade. The sea looks cleaner too.

Looks like a concrete wall going between the walkway and the railway. Glad I got my photos a few years back. 

Good to see the investment going on though.

• Agree 4

There doesn't appear to be any sea views from downtown Dawlish anymore, or is there?  Walls, if they do the job, are a solution but they sure don't have the visual appeal of the original area.  Also the cynic in me wonders how it will endure the next 'big one'?:unsure:

Brian.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

AC1FBA35-8854-4A24-9367-D1FE769C0119.jpeg.4f0d708efc17ad427f803fb5fed15a4f.jpegF751F7EB-47D2-428D-8778-284B959DCF61.jpeg.4eedaef36860e3ec941d68b8572cccbc.jpeg

More info here... https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/our-routes/western/south-west-rail-resilience-programme/dawlish-sea-wall-section-two/

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks. Homage duly paid. Keep the change.

You're welcome.

But I can't keep the change, please advise if you accept hot beverage tokens for the canteen at a future RailWells, in lieu of cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, brianusa said:

There doesn't appear to be any sea views from downtown Dawlish anymore, or is there?  Walls, if they do the job, are a solution but they sure don't have the visual appeal of the original area.  Also the cynic in me wonders how it will endure the next 'big one'?:unsure:

Brian.

The sea view at Dawlish has always depended on where you were standing, Brian. There will still be sea views from certain locations.

The work is very welcome, however and it's interesting (he said, rather smugly) that they are adopting the essential elements that I predicted, to re-inforce or rebuild the Sea Wall, namely building on the experience of repairing the wall in 2014 and 2015 and using pre-cast concrete sections as the basis for the work.

I think that the new works should be able to withstand just about anything for the time being. The works done in 2014 and 2015 have certainly stood up well during that time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

You're welcome.

But I can't keep the change, please advise if you accept hot beverage tokens for the canteen at a future RailWells, in lieu of cash.

Thank you. I'll accept your kind offer.

I'll buy the cakes.

How about cold beverages at lunch time too?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes please to everything!

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You're on. I'll charge it all to consular expenses.

Don't know which year it'll be though...

Oh ! Get a room ! :crazy_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2