A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Shush how do you know the password?

I am not in a position to confirm or deny that I do or don't know any password or other secretive or non-secretive types of communication.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Please can someone point me in the borrowed 8F direction: I'm looking for details on the 40 Swindon built 8Fs which remained with the Great Western in 46 and 47.  I would like to know if possible the return dates of the last of 4 of them - 36 went back and 4 hung on until Oct 47, and their numbers of course.

Many thanks and stay safe.

UPDATE:

The reply is over on the GWR Rolling Stock pages of RMWeb dates, numbers and allocations.

Edited by M.I.B
Update
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The info, along with some nice shots, is in GWRJ 51, 'Swindon's '8Fs'' by John Copsey.

I think the same info is in one of the appendices at the back of 'The Great Western Eight Coupled Heavy Freight Locomotives' by David Maidment.

Unfortunately I'm away from my books/GWRJs so can't check for you at the moment.

Good luck finding out!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ben - all of my books except the Lyons Shed Book are in storage.

I will pinch your reply and start one up on the GWR rolling stock page too.  

• RMweb Premium
On 10/07/2020 at 21:06, brianusa said:

There doesn't appear to be any sea views from downtown Dawlish anymore, or is there?  Walls, if they do the job, are a solution but they sure don't have the visual appeal of the original area.  Also the cynic in me wonders how it will endure the next 'big one'?:unsure:

Brian.

I only wonder how long before the walls are covered in graffiti which puts off the tourists that the local community relies on. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

The two brown stock in the foreground caught my eye.  Long footboards.  Mess vans?

But looking at the charabanc behind the signal box, these coaches may be in service.

Edited by M.I.B
usual poor spelling
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes Braunton!, cheers.

I would say the same day or near that, as both the lswr barrow and 'tut charabanc are present in both pickchas.

I would hazard a guess at late 20's / early 30's.

Edited by Tim Dubya
Pecan pie
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The camera position is identical so it must be on a tripod - presumably the same day. Are there any more pictures  from the same source?  I’m puzzled by the lower quadrant signal with a black post.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

The camera position is identical so it must be on a tripod - presumably the same day. Are there any more pictures  from the same source?  I’m puzzled by the lower quadrant signal with a black post.

Just back from a few days away in North Devon and saw this board when stopping for refreshments.

318981144_IMG_01792792.JPG.f6f057374be37b0de47b1563f31093c4.JPG

• Like 13