A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium

What's the possibility of the ex LSWR route from Okehampton to Bere Alston being reopened?  I'm sure there's plenty of concrete to be shoved into that rebuild ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
Location update.
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

What's the possibility of the ex LSWR route from Okehampton to Gunnislake being reopened?  I'm sure there's plenty of concrete to be shoved into that rebuild ;)

Are they going to make into a busway like they did the Huntington to Cambridge line? Get off the train at Exeter and catch a bus to Cornwall, sounds a very economic thing to do.  Don't worry about Plymouth having a rail connection, my sister who lives there has a car now.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tim Dubya said:

What's the possibility of the ex LSWR route from Okehampton to Gunnislake being reopened?  I'm sure there's plenty of concrete to be shoved into that rebuild ;)

I would think that the line between Okehampton and Bere Alston reopening is virtually nil, we've been waiting for the Bere Alston to the outskirts of Tavistock to reopen for years and no one has picked up the shovel, yet!

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I would think that the line between Okehampton and Bere Alston reopening is virtually nil, we've been waiting for the Bere Alston to the outskirts of Tavistock to reopen for years and no one has picked up the shovel, yet!

I agree.

The government are still determined to build HS2 and have the matter of paying for all the measures taken to support the economy during the current health crisis.

Plus, it's west of Bristol.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Workman's train out of Laira.;) 

Thats a good idea .....would work for me as well

I was thinking of the 6 wheel brake.....or is that too generic?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, john dew said:

I was thinking of the 6 wheel brake.....

Yes to start with but if they did and they might, after talking to Dave at a show last year, in all over wartime brown, I would probably get a few of the range.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Still unsure about these generic coaches from Hatton's but the way they present stuff coming from them is very impressive. Here's the full brake I'd be tempted by.

I'm going for one as a mess van, all over brown, S&T Dept decals, nice and grubby. 

There is a lovely example of one stood at a platform on the Glos&Warks photos site.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 04/08/2020 at 07:57, Captain Kernow said:

I agree.

The government are still determined to build HS2 and have the matter of paying for all the measures taken to support the economy during the current health crisis.

Plus, it's west of Bristol.

Here we go again:https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2020/07/20-new-plan-for-south-west.html:rolleyes:

Brian.     

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Like the airman.Perfect representation of a postwar era. That figure with the addition of a shoulder slung kitbag is my first memory image of my father returning home from overseas service in 1945.I hadn’t seem him for a long time,so I watched this figure advancing down the road towards me ,RAF kepi on head,and when recognition finally dawned all I could respond was...”Oh, I thought it was you “...

Some things never leave your visual memory.This won’t.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Northroader said:

There’s always Blanco.

Just reading that has made me go all shivery and sweaty. :scared:

We were still using the stuff when I joined up in 1975. We had nearly finished our basic training and were issued new plastic belts to wear with working dress. So we set about our old 37 pattern webbing belts with there thick coatings of Blanco. Our platoon Staff Sergeant was duty sergeant and on his way to the NAFFI he popped into our accommodation. Oh bu88er. We all had to go and buy some white Blanco, get off the light green from our old belts and make them white for passing out parade, I will let you make up your own name for him, I think we ran out of them at about 100. 

Then on to trade training, fire picket where you paraded with full 37 pattern webbing in battle order................Blancoed.

We still had 37 pattern webbing when I moved to my first field workshop. I saved my beer tokens and purchased a set of 58 webbing from the surplus shop around the corner to the workshops in Tidworth.  If you had 58 pattern you were allowed to wear it on exercise. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Like the airman.Perfect representation of a postwar era. That figure with the addition of a shoulder slung kitbag is my first memory image of my father returning home from overseas service in 1945.I hadn’t seem him for a long time,so I watched this figure advancing down the road towards me ,RAF kepi on head,and when recognition finally dawned all I could respond was...”Oh, I thought it was you “...

Some things never leave your visual memory.This won’t.

I have a very similar memory .......at Liverpool Central with my Mum and Sister watching this tall sun tanned stranger approaching us. I had the vaguest recollection of “Daddy”. He had spent the last three years in Kenya.....had to be one of the cushiest postings ever. We , on the other hand, had survived the Liverpool blitz........and I can still recall hearing the sirens and being taken down to the make shift Shelter....the cubbby hole under the stairs.

Ian, I have followed your posts for many years and have learned so much from them. It is therefore with some hesitancy I ask.... are you certain your Dad’s hat  was a Kepi? That is a peaked hat I would have associated with the French Foreign Legion or Gendarmerie. In the Army the airman’s headgear was called a side cap or forage cap.

A very minor point.....loved your post brought all manner of memories flooding back

Best wishes

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3