A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Very nice too! ;)

I'm going to be doing a version of 8745 with riveted tank sides as well. A Weymouth loco before moving to Gloucester. 

Out of interest what rivets did you use? Are they Archer's? If so what set did you use? 

Thanks in advance. 

Mark

They were Archer's rivets (set AR88026)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Steed for the day was 6960.  Personally I thought her paint was closer to the drab lifeless Hornby colour rather than the richer colour.

6960 is looking rather dull and like 4920 Dumbleton Hall which is looking unloved at the SDR at the moment. At least 6960 is being used and has the correct livery for this thread for which we are grateful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

6960 is looking rather dull and like 4920 Dumbleton Hall which is looking unloved at the SDR at the moment. At least 6960 is being used and has the correct livery for this thread for which we are grateful.

To be all serious for a moment, I think there is a sad truth to be faced up to in preservation, and Covid may be the trigger, that there are too many lines and too much stock preserved.  A lot of which will never run again.  Of the stock that is preserved, there are too many of similar types and those types may not be suitable for either preserved lines or the mainline, where even fewer locos are really needed.

Even at Didcot, I thought 7808 was looking tired around the edges.  Not a loco they need at their site so one which I bet is way down the refurbishment queue.  What’s its future?

07368446-3331-4300-B45E-AF715487D412.jpeg

C803BFC3-08B5-4078-A7A5-3626CC677D4A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

To be all serious for a moment, I think there is a sad truth to be faced up to in preservation, and Covid may be the trigger, that there are too many lines and too much stock preserved.  A lot of which will never run again.  Of the stock that is preserved, there are too many of similar types and those types may not be suitable for either preserved lines or the mainline, where even fewer locos are really needed.

The sad part will be what to do with it all!  All that time and expense put into getting the railways and stock repaired, rebuilt or restored, what will happen to it all?   Left to rot in the condition it was found in, sent to the wreckers; already some railways are having a hard time keeping the scrap man from the door.  Covid restrictions aren't going to help much either, people won't put up with masks and all the other paraphernalia  for too long.  Too much has gone into the business already to let it rust away.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

A visit to a new to me model shop and I came away with this cute little tank wagon. My first Oxford Rail purchase and I'm quite impressed with the detail bar the couplings.

25734343_DSCN7191(2).JPG.fd60bd14689dc948f31150a71d138294.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2020 at 21:59, Clearwater said:

Even before Covid, as has been discussed elsewhere on RMweb, the costs in our time of running a preserved line and the procedures and paperwork etc necessary to be legal and safe were beginning to push some railways into difficulty. Much of the fun aspect that so many were founded to explore has been diluted by the need to chase income. And as more and more old buffers pass on, the audience is increasingly less nostalgic, and cares less about the 7808s of this world. The Thomas and diesel weekends are really important, but they make the older generation shudder. Covid may indeed seal the fate of a number of preserved lines - and with them some historic artefacts. Not a pretty thought, but just another grim - to us - side-effect of the pandemic. 

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

With the web down last night, I searched round for my evening entertainment and settled on the blogs on the Gloucester and Warwickshire railway site. It struck me what a wide range of maintenance activities are needed to keep afloat, all with volunteers. It must be a real problem, besides cash shortfalls.

• Agree 6

Where has this loco been residing to get that very fetching cobweb on the funnel and then it disappears!!!

Travelling at speed must have blown it away....

Edited by KNP
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

I couldn't resist a few comparison shots of the Mobil tanks I have together. The Bachmann model dates back to the old Mainline models of the '80s. I'm pretty sure these tankers are ok to run more in my mid 1950s period rather than late 40s.

755189318_DSCN7197(2).JPG.80c7d0ddf33747b6698426b5095c3129.JPG1999721930_DSCN7200(2).JPG.90fb95df8fe2ec45bce7d0141c77de3c.JPG2126349968_DSCN7201(2).JPG.5639f783282d0970f59b849a0d917a6e.JPG1946719887_DSCN7202(2).JPG.f1e235cba55c70c9409fde824d1bdfc3.JPGDSCN7203_(2).JPG.8f934d56fa91531e556e36a5dc4be9fd.JPG

Hi Robin

Both wagons are fine to run together in those colours for the 1950s to mid 60s. Prior to that Mobil used the name Vacuum Oil for marketing their products.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

21 hours ago, gwrrob said:

More pannier action

Pannier action is food for the soul. There can be no higher calling for these heroic 0-6-0s.

Edited by Captain Kernow
I thought I saw a glimpse of some cake.
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1