A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I think this is Dia 1455, of which 650 were built for GWR in 1942/3. It appears the GW Dia was V35. GWR 144269 - 144918 appears to be the number sequence. There was no vacuum equipment, this design being an austerity version of Dia 1458, as befitted the times. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I think this is Dia 1455, of which 650 were built for GWR in 1942/3. It appears the GW Dia was V35. GWR 144269 - 144918 appears to be the number sequence. There was no vacuum equipment, this design being an austerity version of Dia 1458, as befitted the times. 

That fits in with the finished model Ian.;) There's a preserved one at Toddington too.

2046840487_DSCN7219(3).JPG.87f042cb4c0235ac61524ea701605fd8.jpg.adae5c41fc9cd454edba38271aa54f89.jpg513798207_GWR12Tvan144678builtAshford1942_16_10_2009.JPG.34286aded01e693bf5b65febca19f690.JPG

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Always inspired by the work of this threads wagon guru @46444 currently a nice weekend project is on the bench. Dapol wagon bodies are cheap as chips and put under the re-released Ratio GWR/RCH 10' chassis , now under Peco/Parkside PC560 , they make up into a nice model. Gibson wheels and Dave Franks buffers make this only £11 to build. Here it is alongside Mark's build, there's a slight difference as he used the Ratio body on his.. A SR build but given to the GWR and LMS to use  during the war and beyond.

2141009848_DSCN7233(2).JPG.36e91c2c077d9d92a6d8eec8b81bce78.JPG1310671187_DSCN7234(2).JPG.9eb2fab33eb0702b6ccb09ceddef8a3c.JPG44237845_DSCN7236(2).JPG.80150d2704a2764a84c878bd2ab9435e.JPG

Very nice work there Robin ;)

Looks like you've done a cracking job there. Like you say a nice pocket money weekend project and bit of old school modelling. :D

Thankyou Robin for the acknowledgement. It has been good to be of assistance. Looking forwards to seeing it finished. 

Cheers, 

Mark

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

That fits in with the finished model Ian.;) There's a preserved one at Toddington too.

2046840487_DSCN7219(3).JPG.87f042cb4c0235ac61524ea701605fd8.jpg.adae5c41fc9cd454edba38271aa54f89.jpg513798207_GWR12Tvan144678builtAshford1942_16_10_2009.JPG.34286aded01e693bf5b65febca19f690.JPG

You're making me spend money lol!! But I must admit I've noticed the ends on the Bachmann LMS and GWR examples and I have wanted to replace them for a while...

Is it's my eyes playing tricks @gwrrob or is there a slight height difference between the Bachmann version and Dapol version of the SR van bodies? Do post these on the GWR Modellers group btw, this is quite impressive :)

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Nice project this Rob; might have to partake. Do you have any wagon numbers to hand for this van? I don't think it will appear in the Atkins, Beard & Tourret GWR wagon bible because they were not of course Swindon built. 

Bachmann of course do a nice model of this but I suspect if released today would be around 20 sheets minimum - yours is a good way of bulking up post-war GWR wagon fleets!

Would any of the other Dapol GWR van bodies fit an 10 foot wheelbase, and more importantly, are they accurate representations?

www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/wagons-OO-Gauge/unpainted-wagon-bodies/b004-oo-gauge-unpainted-gwr-ventilated-van-body-vb4-848

www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/wagons-OO-Gauge/unpainted-wagon-bodies/b011-oo-gauge-unpainted-fruit-van-body-290

www.Dapol.co.uk/shop/oo-gauge/wagons-OO-Gauge/unpainted-wagon-bodies/b016-oo-gauge-unpainted-gunpowder-van-body-849

Cheers,

CoY

Hi CoY, 

These Dapol/Mainline/Airfix generated conversions using kit built chassis do give a bit of variety and essentially use in some cases an accurate body. 

It is worth researching your prototype. I'm not sure on the Dapol models you've listed. Some may have been stretched to fit an off the shelf chassis. 

The Dapol/Airfix LMS van body, Mainline LMS 3 Plank Medfit and Airfix LMS 5 Plank Merchandise wagon offer many conversion opportunities using Ratio or Parkside chassis. 

More in moment wagon number wise for the SR van design GWR van. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Thanks Ian for the prototype information ;)

Like Robin mentioned previously the Ratio instructions do/did list the GWR versions. 

Here's a GWR version in BR times courtesy of Paul Bartlett:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrvans/ha2eabb6

Cheers, 

Mark

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Nicely restored prototype ;)

The number on my model was chosen because it fitted into the size of the end panel nicely.. :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

Please note that these vans, in GWR days, were unfitted with brakes on one side only - a war time utility van. The preserved example at Toddington was modified by BR with the fitting of a conventional Morton vacuum brake, including extended buffers (note the extension ferrules on the buffer casings, a dead give-away). The restored van should have been painted in BR bauxite, not GWR grey, to be correct.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

2 hours ago, nigel newling said:

Please note that these vans, in GWR days, were unfitted with brakes on one side only - a war time utility van. The preserved example at Toddington was modified by BR with the fitting of a conventional Morton vacuum brake, including extended buffers (note the extension ferrules on the buffer casings, a dead give-away). The restored van should have been painted in BR bauxite, not GWR grey, to be correct.

Was this extended to the LMS built examples as well?

• Like 1

I believe so - look at https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsvan, although the three shown there are fitted with more modern buffers and have been extensively re-planked as well. As unfitted vans, the brakes should only be on the side with the reversing Morton clutch. The Bachman chassis needs to have the brakes on the other side removed when in LMS or GW livery. The Southern did have vacuum fitted versions in various forms.  

Edited by nigel newling
missing words :-)
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Torrington.  Small station yet through coaches from Waterloo, scenic yet local industry (milk processing), serving a historic town.  And confused about which direction was up and which down.

Umm? Is this in the wrong thread, by any chance?

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, M.I.B said:

Is Torrington not "Withered Arm" territory of the lurid green?

Oh dear... the Men in Malachite are not impressed, the Grand Inquisitor (Robin) has personally signed the invitation for you to spend some quality time at their Air-Smoothing Facility - somewhere in Withered Arm territory.

Apparently the takeaway that's the front to this facility does a very nice Vegan Pastie and chips:jester:

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

No, that's Hornby.:P

Your supposed to try and distract them to your true identity - not make it obvious :read:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Apparently the takeaway that's the front to this facility does a very nice Vegan Pastie and chips:jester:

That's the establishment that's just signed off the 'new' Hornby siphon G/H.:angry:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That's the establishment that's just signed off the 'new' Hornby siphon G/H.:angry:

They can't help that (possibly) you decided that they'd be used as safe words in the 're-education facility' and some Hornby reps who'd been invited to take the 'tour' kept hearing Siphon G.. Siphon H being screamed called out loudly and decide that it would be wise to produce them ;) :jester:

• Like 1

On 06/09/2020 at 21:58, 46444 said:

Hi CoY, 

These Dapol/Mainline/Airfix generated conversions using kit built chassis do give a bit of variety and essentially use in some cases an accurate body. 

It is worth researching your prototype. I'm not sure on the Dapol models you've listed. Some may have been stretched to fit an off the shelf chassis. 

The Dapol/Airfix LMS van body, Mainline LMS 3 Plank Medfit and Airfix LMS 5 Plank Merchandise wagon offer many conversion opportunities using Ratio or Parkside chassis. 

More in moment wagon number wise for the SR van design GWR van. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

The Airfix five-planker can indeed form the basis of many conversions.  The photo shows my version which was finished just this very afternoon.  It runs on an underframe made using components from various sources.  The solebars and headstocks are Parkside, MJT W-irons, axlebox/spring castings from Justin Newitt and sprung buffers and vacuum pipes from Dave Franks.  The container is from Cambrian and the ensemble is modelled from prototype photos.  The other five-planker is from Cambrian with upgraded underframe and the van is from an ABS kit found in a rummage box at an exhibition several years ago - it cost me a fiver and the packet had remained unopened since it was bought in the late 1970s so the kit was in mint condition - there's lots of them out there if you look.

Hope this is of interest.

Gerry

20200908_134516 (3).jpg

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9