A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Here's three here with the LMS van in the middle. This has used the Dapol unpainted body married to the Parkside PA16 kit chassis [LMS J hangers] with vents and buffers from Dave Franks.

The Dapol van looks good. I might try that myself.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

In some quarters I was criticised for saying the recent Hornby prairie looked plasticky and was lightweight , leading me to be disappointed with Hornby.

Today @AY Mod has posted a photo of the new Bachmann 1P in LMS livery. What a contrast indeed. Not in the market for one but what a beautiful model indeed. I hope they sell by the bucket load.

334716725_Bachmann1P1303.jpg.e8a1c27be90c071c1ffb42a0527e15de.jpg

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

In some quarters I was criticised for saying the recent Hornby prairie looked plasticky and was lightweight , leading me to be disappointed with Hornby.

Today @AY Mod has posted a photo of the new Bachmann 1P in LMS livery. What a contrast indeed. Not in the market for one but what a beautiful model indeed. I hope they sell by the bucket load.

Nice trees....

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Worth a second look this.Droolworthy even though it did not inhabit the South Hams. Agree with your H’s Big Prairie assessment. Not as good as it could and should have been. Yes I know the 1P is more expensive but it’ll turn more heads. Actually I’m wrong.It weighs in at the same price point I discover

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Yes I know the 1P is more expensive but it’ll turn more heads. 

I know the price of everything but the value of nothing.:D I've just heard the Dapol mogul is on the high seas and will be with retailers by mid November.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I know the price of everything but the value of nothing.:D I've just heard the Dapol mogul is on the high seas and will be with retailers by mid November.

Looking forward to this. I’m opting for the GWR with BR smokebox number plate which sparks a clear memory flash of a run some 70 years ago from Neath to Aberdare HL and walking past the loco,noting PPL RD painted on the front of the running plate .It was of course a Mogul . The Vale of Neath sadly was not the high seas but in those days it was a great day out eagerly looked forward to and enjoyed.:)

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Hi Robin

Not one that took a wrong turning off the S&DJR and got lost in Devon?

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

More chance of @Captain Kernow getting one for his Bethesda Sidings.;)

Well, now, there's the dilemma.

Midland locos did work to Bethesda Sidings, from the Central Wales end, via Gunstone Junction, but in my era, the link was scarcely used and motive power would in any case be more likely to be a 3F or a 4F from one of the Swansea sheds.

On the other hand, I have to ask the question as to whether I really need any more locos for Bleakhouse Road?

One scheme that might work, though, would be to convert one and run in on Callow Lane, in company with the 1F 0-6-0T that I'm hoping to convert soon. Perhaps Brassmasters will do an 'EasyChas' for the 0-4-4T?

You really are the most thought-provoking fellow, Robin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

You really are the most thought-provoking fellow, Robin.

I'm also excellent at spending other peoples hard earned folding.:D

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I'm also excellent at spending other peoples hard earned folding.:D

In the current situation, everyone's folding is stuck together through lack of use, while our credit and debit cards would, if the old fashioned manual machines were still in use, have the numbers rubbed away! :superman:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

Don't you know there's a war on?

You can't get the castings, it's all gone to the Spitfire fund!

The brass has gone into making shell casings ;) 

And don't mention the Polish town that got shook, while the armed forces attempting defuse a Tallboy - it went off :O 

https://youtu.be/yjtW3rdy4Uc

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Interesting to see that Rail's have slashed over 20 sheets off the Hornby GWR prairie already.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/37517/Hornby-r3719-oo-gauge-class-5101-large-prairie-gwr-green-2-6-2-tank-locomotive-no-4154

I thought Rails had stopped selling Hornby?

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I've found a Star class from the archive in the shape of 4019 Knight Templar.

Yep, does it for me, thanks Rob.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1