A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Look on Rails website for Gas Turbine 18000 samples.

Perhaps you could use your influence there to get me a running sample to photograph and load test before they're released.;)

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/10/2020 at 19:58, 46444 said:

Toboldlygo may be worth consulting for suitable matches using Vallejo colours...  ;)

Who me?

Roof's 71.054 Dark Grey Blue

Van Bodies (dependant on type) 71.042 Dark Brown or 71.290 US Earth Brown.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Perhaps you could use your influence there to get me a running sample to photograph and load test before they're released.;)

It would look nice speeding through Brent!  I was lucky enough to be by North Road station when the first one came down.:good:

Brian.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, toboldlygo said:

Everyone who liked your WD will have to buy this kit and complete it before I tell you ;) :P 

Ho229_01.jpg.0b274523e7697de39ffdbe594fe6ed80.jpg

Actually that would be an incredible challenge to build one of these for most modellers, as you have to have the right mind-set, you have to think like an airframe fitter - rather than a modeller.

For BR Crimson, probably Railmatch Acrylic BR Crimson - 50's Rolling Stock (2311) . For the best depth of colour you'll need a white primer, with a pink undercoat - you can get Pink Primer from Tamiya, but it's £££. You can get away with just white primer.

I would say for Vallejo Model Air, I'd say a 50/50 mix of 71.002 Red & 71.402 Purple Brown. 71.402 Purple Brown is a good match for LMS Crimson Lake.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2020 at 21:41, brianusa said:

It would look nice speeding through Brent!  I was lucky enough to be by North Road station when the first one came down.:good:

Brian.

Could you smell it before you saw it Brian? Bit like Plymouth Breweries down Stonehouse Creek!

P

• Funny 2

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh,  in the evening and the wind blows from the East, I can still smell a faint odour from long ago, only slightly better than the disgusting one from the glue works at Prince Rock which I remember all too well!:fie:

The 'kerosene Castle' had a mixed reception at the time at least amongst the North Roaders; some thought it was a one off and would go away while others more astute, recognised the writing on the wall,  Sadly they were the ones that got it right, albeit not in gas turbine form

Brian

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, brianusa said:

The 'kerosene Castle' had a mixed reception at the time

Let's hope the model is better received on release shortly then.;) I have high hopes for it even though it's Heljan's factory doing it.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2020 at 14:40, gwrrob said:

Moi ?  We’re talking Yorkshire here remember......both Rails and Ben ( Ex Rails way back )  .Would make excellent promotion opportunity though.....I can see that

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Let's hope the model is better received on release shortly then.;) I have high hopes for it even though it's Heljan's factory doing it.:rolleyes:

To be fair,although their steam image releases have been,shall we say,variable,with the exception of the Clayton,their diesels are pretty good.( GT being same configuration) Don’t forget,their GW railcar is released soon and that seems to be shaping well.Did they work over the South Devon banks ?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

To be fair,although their steam image releases have been,shall we say,variable,with the exception of the Clayton,their diesels are pretty good.( GT being same configuration) Don’t forget,their GW railcar is released soon and that seems to be shaping well.Did they work over the South Devon banks ?

Unfortunately their track record with diesels is pretty poor as well with then extra wide class 47, complete hash of the cab roof on the western, took 3 attempts on the class 33 (and still didn’t get it quite right), not to mention numerous paint issues.  That said running wise though their diesels are the best of the best.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo of a railcar in Devon in the 40s but would love to be proved wrong.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo of a railcar in Devon in the 40s but would love to be proved wrong.

I don't think you are wrong.  I would be surprised to learn that they ever ventured west of Taunton.  Now there's a challlenge for someone ...

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Unfortunately their track record with diesels is pretty poor as well with then extra wide class 47, complete hash of the cab roof on the western, took 3 attempts on the class 33 (and still didn’t get it quite right), not to mention numerous paint issues.  That said running wise though their diesels are the best of the best.

Quite right.I’d completely forgotten those.But tbh the 47 isn’t that bad and the Western  is more reliable than its Dapol competitor.The 33  eventually came good too.All Heljans have superior haulage capacity....Clayton excepted.

I imagine that the South Devon banks would have presented too much of a challenge to the GWR railcars.....though I don’t doubt that someone will prove the contrary .The samples of the AEC look promising.

Robin....just a thought entre nous. Ben posted on the GT thread earlier this morning. Why not pm him offering ANTB as a vehicle for promoting both the GT  and the railcar ?  Maybe I’m being too fanciful but your layout and the way you present it online has literally shedloads of followers. It’s the perfect showcase for GW models.Better than Rails aerial track anyway. :rolleyes:  Nothing ventured,nothing gained.

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Quite right.I’d completely forgotten those.But tbh the 47 isn’t that bad and the Western  is more reliable than its Dapol competitor.The 33  eventually came good too.All Heljans have superior haulage capacity....Clayton excepted.

I imagine that the South Devon banks would have presented too much of a challenge to the GWR railcars.....though I don’t doubt that someone will prove the contrary .The samples of the AEC look promising.

Robin....just a thought entre nous. Ben posted on the GT thread earlier this morning. Why not pm him offering ANTB as a vehicle for promoting both the GT  and the railcar ?  Maybe I’m being too fanciful but your layout and the way you present it online has literally shedloads of followers. It’s the perfect showcase for GW models.Better than Rails aerial track anyway. :rolleyes:  Nothing ventured,nothing gained.

The South Devon banks may not have been the problem - GWR railcars (both Swindon/AEC built and the earlier streamliners) worked very regularly on Bristol - Weymouth trains and Weymouth area local services where they regularly had to tackle the banks up to Bincombe tunnel heading north and Evershot coming south both of which which were steep.  But I have never heard of them  working down into Devon and Cornwall although they were intended to work on the proposed new line to Looe that was cancelled due to the outbreak of WW2.   Agree that the Heljan railcars do look promising - there have been glimpses of them recently and I am surprised that we haven't seen any decent photos of them yet.   I would love to think that if they are a success - and there doesn't seem to be any reason why they shouldn't be - that they will then produce the two-car AEC railcars which are perfect for my Bristol - Weymouth workings.

Gerry

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

39 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Stop press.Rails email say Dapol  Mogul  arrives next week .

Arrives where?

Docks?

Dapol?

Retailers?

I expect them at retailers around the end of the month (downhill, with the wind behind them!) if they are at the docks?

If chips are being fitted at Dapol to those ordered with them, then, hopefully by Christmas for them?

(Sorry, I forgot, Christmas is being cancelled this year!!)

Best regards

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Plus the Baby Deltic, BTH Type 1, AM6 and DP2. I am not pre ordering either their Peak or Sulzer Bo-Bo after seeing their pre-production models. I did try to talk to them at Glasgow, but as a mere layout operator not a member of the "model railway press" they ignored me. 

They can be spot on the NBL type 1 is wonderful and so is the Hymek. It seems they work on the principal, one good one and then one bad one, hoping we will still be impressed by the good one not to notice their crap ones. 

Oh I really like their Gloucester Parcels Vans, both of mine run wonderfully and look the bees knees. 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Arrives where?

Docks?

Dapol?

Retailers?

I expect them at retailers around the end of the month (downhill, with the wind behind them!) if they are at the docks?

If chips are being fitted at Dapol to those ordered with them, then, hopefully by Christmas for them?

Best regards

Paul

Look on Rails website .Next week .

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks for your support but it appears all the testing etc has already been carried out. They are about to go into production.:drink_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Arrives where?

Docks?

Dapol?

Retailers?

Best regards

Paul

Probably not Sydney...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1