A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Talking of 9440 and here she is in a familiar location sometime in the 50s judging by the fashions and vehicle shewn. The level crossing is of course still there although the signal box has long gone from Torbay Road, Paignton.

paignton-9440-rl.jpg.0eab28f4cef8e04a811378a2960e9a90.jpg

Love the A30....no not the road of that designation.Once fitted seven into one of those.Don’t you just love those hemlines .....no not the half Pannier’s 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Not keen on the red cabside plates and I see the Bachmann early crest  black model has them fitted too.

I'd agree with that Robin.

Red numberplates and nameplates certainly don't sit  well on ex-GWR locos in my eyes.

Out of interest how much bling (Brass and copper) would one of these 94xx's have carried in service in GWR and BR times? 

Looking forwards to seeing one on ANTB busy on the Ivybridge goods. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Not keen on the red cabside plates and I see the Bachmann early crest  black model has them fitted too.

15 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Even worse - red nameplates (though I don't think any 94xx had them)!

I rather like them.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2020 at 09:31, Nick Gough said:

According to the, just received, latest edition of the Great Western Echo, the Great Western Trust, at Didcot, have them, and a new compilation is due out in a few days:

http://www.crecy.co.uk/west-country-railways

Arriving in stock this Friday email updating me on my order just received.Will then send ASAP.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Arriving in stock this Friday email updating me on my order just received.Will then send ASAP.

I look forward to reading your review Ian.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Clearwater said:

Was there a particular reason 9400 was selected for preservation and the Swindon museum? 

It was on the original national collection list in the Clapham days. I assume as the last variant of pannier it represents all the panniers, as, despite all the variants, the panniers claimed to be the most numerous class of 0-6-0. When Swindon factory put the incorrect GREAT WESTERN on the tanks, they created a prototype for everything moment.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Readers of the Bachmann 94xx thread might be interested in a comment made by @AY Mod that suggests, to me anyway, there's an announcement tomorrow from someone ,that might interest followers of this thread.;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Readers of the Bachmann 94xx thread might be interested in a comment made by @AY Mod that suggests, to me anyway, there's an announcement tomorrow from someone ,that might interest followers of this thread.;)

We'll have the Rescue Eagles on stand by then - the froth can be deadly ;) 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Since the 94xx's are coming very soon, where were the 10 GWR ones allocated before Nationalization?

Definitely buying one of the standard release, but the NRM one is also on that list to get. It is has to be one the best manufacture release of a preserved loco (the Locomotion Evening Star is also superb). The 94xx simply that it has polished wheel rims, something I have not seen on a rtr release before. 

• Like 2

On 09/11/2020 at 19:25, john dew said:

Are you getting one Robin? They do look rather nice.

Anyway my mind is made up.....at last. Having just told Tinker that I was rather ambivalent, I did a bit more digging and 9408 the Oxley loco was built in May 1947......and google says Wolverhampton is only 60 miles fron Wrexham Granby.

Keep Well

Are you after a loco that may have worked near Wrexham?

9425 went new to Chester. Might be out of your time zone, but they did get up to the North.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=9425&type=S&loco=9425

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 09/11/2020 at 21:26, brianusa said:

... how could anybody have designed the A30.   I asked myself that question as I sat in the back seat ages ago!

Around 1972 I delivered a second-hand A30, bought by a friend in Bristol from a friend in Oxford.  It didn't take many miles of driving to realise that brakes were an optional extra that hadn't been purchased!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Are you after a loco that may have worked near Wrexham?

9425 went new to Chester. Might be out of your time zone, but they did get up to the North.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&id=9425&type=S&loco=9425

Jason

Thanks Jason

I am afraid 1950 is stretching it. Early spring 1948 is my absolute latest bearing in mind I only have two locos with “British Railways” on the tender.

Fortunately I am fairly relaxed about the geography of the are. 60 miles aint that far where I live now!

Thabks for the post though

Regards

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Indeed......and The Stationmaster is adding fuel to the flame.......havent had time for my breakfast with all the froth

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Checking RailUK.info's database as at nationalisation it gives 

9400 at Swindon, 9408 at Oxley and the other 7 GWR built locos at Old Oak Common.  So in my world 9400 has been tripped down to Newton Abbot from Swindon for some testing.....

Does that site work for you? I tried seeing what you were seeing with 9400. I was just getting blank pages

I was thinking 9400 made a trip down to the Westbury area for me ;) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Does that site work for you? I tried seeing what you were seeing with 9400. I was just getting blank pages

I was thinking 9400 made a trip down to the Westbury area for me ;) 

The search is a pain as it doesn’t work properly any more.  If you use the search by number you can access the details.  However the links to shed / class which used to bring up a list of all engines at a shed / all members of a class don’t work 

• Friendly/supportive 1