A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

On 14/11/2020 at 03:31, Coach bogie said:

I built a 15XX many years ago. I really went to town on the detail and then found I rarely ran it. A bit limited as to what duty it can do. I gave to to a friend. I do not think he runs it much either. I had a second kit which, after not using the first one much,  was sold on to someone who built is as the Coventry NCB version. He does use it on his industrial line.

If one was produced rtr how many would be regularly used?

Mike Wiltshire

I bet a fictional ‘GWR’ one would be a very popular livery. Along with the other variations, even if not true to certain areas. Look at the W1’s and how even the fictional ones have sold out. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/11/2020 at 10:55, St Enodoc said:

Probably about as many as models of Duke of Gloucester or the prototype Deltic.

The 15xx is a very popular model in 5" gauge, known for whatever reason as 'Speedy', it's a relatively easy build, outside valve gear being easier to assemble and maintain and it's one of very few tank engines like this. I'm sure more than once there's been more models running together than there were real ones. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Out of interest, has anyone had any experience commissioning a set of etched coach sides / ends?  

I am giving serious thought to getting some etched for an O13 milk van and a K17 full brake.  But before I start talking to potential suppliers I am trying to gauge whether the difference between the second hand price should an old out of production kit become available vs commissioning from someone like Woosley Works who will do the drawing vs drawing myself and ordering via PPD.    

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Out of interest, has anyone had any experience commissioning a set of etched coach sides / ends?  

I am giving serious thought to getting some etched for an O13 milk van and a K17 full brake.  But before I start talking to potential suppliers I am trying to gauge whether the difference between the second hand price should an old out of production kit become available vs commissioning from someone like Woosley Works who will do the drawing vs drawing myself and ordering via PPD.    

Worsley Works charge me between £25 for sides and ends and £50/60 for sides, ends, roof and floor. Allen did have some data on the K17 as he was asked to look at in the past but the client did not proceed. The etch then goes into the Worsley range.

Mike Wiltshire

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

On 12/11/2020 at 21:51, The Fatadder said:

Most disappointed, I didn’t quite get my Mitchell one running before the Dapol one hit the shops.  Almost but not quite...

I’m sure I will eventually end up with a Dapol to go with it, and certainly will if they produce the collett cab version 

I have a  Mitchell one sat on the shelf unstarted. I acquired it to replace one of my K's ones when it expires - The K's one still keeps going.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Nice shot Rob. I'm raising a glass to the old Bachmann moguls :drink_mini:

One of the first models I ever bought  Mikkel and also much loved on this thread. However, times move on and the Dapol model is the new kid on the block with fancy gimmicks like a flickering firebox and a push in plug tender. From what I've seen it does look good value though.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

43xxs, including a couple of numbers Dapol have chosen, used to pass my skool twice a day in the early '60s. Supposing, just supposing I wanted to have a suitable train for one of these to pull in late-GWR or early-BR days, what sort of coaches should I be looking out for? RTR, natch.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

43xxs, including a couple of numbers Dapol have chosen, used to pass my skool twice a day in the early '60s. Supposing, just supposing I wanted to have a suitable train for one of these to pull in late-GWR or early-BR days, what sort of coaches should I be looking out for? RTR, natch.

Whatever was available that conformed to the requirements of the CWP, carriage working program. The GW rarely used fixed formations except on regular suburban services. No set formations like on the SR.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

what sort of coaches should I be looking out for? RTR, natch.

Why not run it with your beloved Maunsell's Ian, I'll be doing that at some point.;)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely looking model......and great photos.

I do hope you are pleased with the performance Robin.......I find the stream of nay sayers on the Mogul thread quite depressing....particularly one recent lengthy post......no wonder Dapol stopped contribuiting on RMweb

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

As promised and here we have a few quick shots of my newly unboxed Dapol 43xx mogul. Hopefully I'll get time to do a proper shoot over the weekend. Although the destruction manuals says there's no need to run her in I shall put her on the rolling road first.

614097427_DSCN7328(2).JPG.7fc57a8ae628a2a01cc0b698ad0a2325.JPG1654315314_DSCN7329(2).JPG.406095633489d0dcc1006952f21bcefc.JPG402779805_DSCN7330(2).JPG.e735d20d6f435ae26062b6ace2683ee5.JPG1211342267_DSCN7331(2).JPG.e71bb1420f7e3b4dcb2969e49d15e2cb.JPG

She won't be staying like that for long.. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

As promised and here we have a few quick shots of my newly unboxed Dapol 43xx mogul. Hopefully I'll get time to do a proper shoot over the weekend. Although the destruction manuals says there's no need to run her in I shall put her on the rolling road first.

614097427_DSCN7328(2).JPG.7fc57a8ae628a2a01cc0b698ad0a2325.JPG1654315314_DSCN7329(2).JPG.406095633489d0dcc1006952f21bcefc.JPG402779805_DSCN7330(2).JPG.e735d20d6f435ae26062b6ace2683ee5.JPG1211342267_DSCN7331(2).JPG.e71bb1420f7e3b4dcb2969e49d15e2cb.JPG

Very nice too Robin.. :D

Looking good for the 78xx all being well.. ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

We look forward to your review kind Sir.

Though some we’ve seen before and one or two are of variable reproduction,no one who models the West Country and its branch lines or who,like me , went there on summer holidays way back when,should be without it. It’s in colour and topically as we’re talking Moguls I’m looking at a full page plate of ex works 6377 ..lined green e/c..at Newton Abbott which proves that yes they did indeed once look clean.

I immediately connected with it because the second plate is of Chacewater...change for Newquay ..and 5557 on a branch line local. On a family holiday in 1953 we travelled along that branch on an excursion from Penzance 

Accompanying text looks well put together and informative.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3