A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Every time you post some lovely pictures of this great looking loco my desire for one increases.......

I don't think I can survive much longer without ordering one.

Do I, dare I, perhaps, well yes one day, you never know.....!!!

All joking aside this looks a great model and from what I have been told its a superb runner too, especially at slow speed which is what I would need.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, KNP said:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

Every time you post some lovely pictures of this great looking loco my desire for one increases.......

2086073532_beggingbowl.jpg.0dc6dfe1e89699afa58ba29bd3a1c86e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I see the pristine Mogul. Very offensive.

Anyway chaps, rumours of my demise are untrue, I have not been abducted,  I am not working for MI6 and I am still a complete ar$£.

May I, without having to pay anything, ask some advice about the gorgeous Mogul? 

I have the BR version 7310. I would prefer it to be a 63XX but 7310 has outside pipes and I see Rob's does not. I do not have the Book of the Filthy Moguls, as I am too short to reach the top shelf in the Newsagent's.  Thus I do not have access to 'the detail differences'.

I could keep the 73XX and renumber as there were a couple, shedded at Bristol and Exeter, and I could use that for WR diversions. However the actual loco's used on reports of real diverted trains early in the 60s, included 2 x 63XX.  One, 6372, was on the Down Devonian! 6320 was on another down but I don't have the details to hand for that one. 

My question is, if I want 6372 can I do it with 7310 or does it need pipes removing or anything else details wise? Also, the chimney stack 'gap' is crap. How does one change that please?

Apart from that I think it appears to be a beauty. I don't remember ordering it either!

Hope you are all trundling along OK?

Philth.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2020 at 17:56, Oldddudders said:

6385! One of those very locos that used to pass my Surrey skool! Very tempting, and I did a little research to look at suitable GWR coaches, too. If you report reasonable running capabilities I really could be tempted. 

I could have a shufty at some of my books and see what the coaches were usually Dudds. I seem to think, as Rob suggests, a Maunsell Set would be  OK; maybe plus a Van or two?

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Hi Phil

good to see you posting.  My book says 6373 didn’t get outside steam pipes. Neither did 6320.  Book doesn’t lost shed allocations but happy to look up others for you!

cheers

David

Merci Monsewer. Did I read somewhere that the pipes were removable? If not I shall have to sell somethings SR and get another one of the 63XX variety, sans Pipes, for 6372. I think 6372 was either Bristol or Westbury IIRC in December 1960. 

There must have been others on diversions, but those two are the only ones I have noted from the Trains Illustrated for the times.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

if I want 6372 

Yo ! Big man,

My allocation book shows it first 5/21 Bristol......Last shed Taunton 12/63 ( so you'd be ok with that as you do enjoy a cider or three I believe ! ).

G

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I could have a shufty at some of my books and see what the coaches were usually Dudds. I seem to think, as Rob suggests, a Maunsell Set would be  OK; maybe plus a Van or two?

P

Not quite my purpose. As some of you know, I am bumbling about building a model based upon Halwill Junction. There will be substantial liberties, plus it will not be called Halwill. Among my fantasy bolt-ons is the idea that the GWR Launceston branch gave the GWR running rights through to Okehampton - or even Exeter, I suppose - and the 43xx seems to be the right sort of power. No doubt it wasn't allowed anywhere near Launceston but never mind. So of course it would be hauling GWR coaches, and I think Hawksworths are more to my taste than Colletts.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Not quite my purpose. As some of you know, I am bumbling about building a model based upon Halwill Junction. There will be substantial liberties, plus it will not be called Halwill. Among my fantasy bolt-ons is the idea that the GWR Launceston branch gave the GWR running rights through to Okehampton - or even Exeter, I suppose - and the 43xx seems to be the right sort of power. No doubt it wasn't allowed anywhere near Launceston but never mind. So of course it would be hauling GWR coaches, and I think Hawksworths are more to my taste than Colletts.

Stop bumbling man, just do it.....You know you want too ! :lol:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

My notes have this mogul as Exeter based and seen in the South Hams in BR days. I don't know or can discern the number unfortunately. Lovely all the same, for all kind of reasons.

1065168565_mikeroachmogul.jpg.2fd15a7eee08f2525c31c21fb665b0cf.jpg

The freight stock looks far cleaner than the loco lol

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I would mix the two, I don't think there are any RTR Churchwards, to add to the mix.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, bgman said:

Stop bumbling man, just do it.....You know you want too ! :lol:

A lot of it is done. Track and major structures, several built by RMwebbers, for a start. This weekend I have been installing a turntable. I have been putting this off for years because the site is too cramped - but no way could trains have run from Halwill to Padstow with the engine running tender-first. It would have been awful hardship for the crews in bad weather, of which there is no shortage coming off the Atlantic.

Issues still to be resolved include splitting corridor stock in the down platform. The Atlantic Coast Express divided Bude and Padstow portions here. But getting to the Kadee couplings is an issue. Magnets may be invoked. OTOH joining the up service - and a few others that combined here - by running round and pulling the Bude portion backwards to await the Padstow portion's arrival, then propelling on to the back, as per prototype, has proved to be very rewarding. 

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, gwrrob said:

My notes have this mogul as Exeter based and seen in the South Hams in BR days. I don't know or can discern the number unfortunately. Lovely all the same, for all kind of reasons.

1065168565_mikeroachmogul.jpg.2fd15a7eee08f2525c31c21fb665b0cf.jpg

Rob, 7311 or 7316 if Exeter circa 1960. 7333 and 35 were Laira regulars too.

I've had a look at the 73XX and the pipes look removable.

I won't mention Argyle either; arse. Another drubbing coming up on Tuesday evening sadly; arse. Never mind.

Dudders, any old coaches will do, even a Midland one for a laugh...yup, honestly.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Welchester said:

I don't believe it. He wears swimming trunks in the bath because he doesn't like to look down on the unemployed.

I have a story, which I may have rehearsed here before. It was told by Joe Russell, who circa 1963 had been featured in Modern Railways, as one of BR's first Area Managers. Anyway, in his yoof, I think he had been junior porter at Belmont, on the Epsom Downs branch. In the morning peak he was instructed to man the Bostwick gate on the up platform, and to close it as the train ran in, to ensure punctual departure. One morning he did this, and re-opened it as the train left, to find a smartly-dressed bowler-hatted gent with a rather bent umbrella. This worthy addressed Joe thus "Now lad, I am going to tell you something that you will never forget!" and he was evidently right! "There are three useless things in this world - a man's t*ts, the Pope's balls and railwaymen!"

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I have a story, which I may have rehearsed here before. It was told by Joe Russell, who circa 1963 had been featured in Modern Railways, as one of BR's first Area Managers. Anyway, in his yoof, I think he had been junior porter at Belmont, on the Epsom Downs branch. In the morning peak he was instructed to man the Bostwick gate on the up platform, and to close it as the train ran in, to ensure punctual departure. One morning he did this, and re-opened it as the train left, to find a smartly-dressed bowler-hatted gent with a rather bent umbrella. This worthy addressed Joe thus "Now lad, I am going to tell you something that you will never forget!" and he was evidently right! "There are three useless things in this world - a man's t*ts, the Pope's balls and railwaymen!"

Rather similar to the tale an old sailing friend told me, namely that the three most useless things on a yacht are a stepladder, a billiard table and a naval officer.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9