A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

ROD class 3005 , another inspired by a Norman Lockett photo from the same book as the Austerity, makes it a Holy Trinity of freight locos for ANTB. This was an unexpected purchase from long time follower @A Murphy back in the spring. Partly due to Covid and plates allegedly getting lost , she's finally ready to join the roster on receiving coal, crew and lamps.

223520134_DSCN7351(2).JPG.23f428b7b578145fe1a2fcaa22b1169d.JPG980726602_DSCN7353(2).JPG.84634208ff68d6dec13a493ee132e253.JPG2033259406_DSCN7354(2).JPG.c364cd1683715de64813a10e2de437ba.JPG

Well we know the plates didn't get lost, I proved that when I ordered the same plates a few months later and your replacement set turned up the same day as mine :devil:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Rather similar to the tale an old sailing friend told me, namely that the three most useless things on a yacht are a stepladder, a billiard table and a naval officer.

I've also seen a lawn mower included in the suggested list.  However :

stratford-canal-7a.jpg.7f58bb5f000a2d20a655067a079f2aba.jpg

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 hours ago, gwrrob said:

ROD class 3005 , another inspired by a Norman Lockett photo from the same book as the Austerity, makes it a Holy Trinity of freight locos for ANTB. This was an unexpected purchase from long time follower @A Murphy back in the spring. Partly due to Covid and plates allegedly getting lost , she's finally ready to join the roster on receiving coal, crew and lamps.

223520134_DSCN7351(2).JPG.23f428b7b578145fe1a2fcaa22b1169d.JPG980726602_DSCN7353(2).JPG.84634208ff68d6dec13a493ee132e253.JPG2033259406_DSCN7354(2).JPG.c364cd1683715de64813a10e2de437ba.JPG

GWR still had these on loan in 1947?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Ribird said:

GWR still had these on loan in 1947?

Not on loan but part of the company fleet, the GWR purchased a bunch post WW1 and rebuilt them with GWR fittings (while scrapping a whole lot more)

it was just the Austerity 2-8-0s which were still on loan to the GWR post ww2 until coming into railway ownership upon nationalisation 

very nice finish on the Rod,

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Not on loan but part of the company fleet, the GWR purchased a bunch post WW1 and rebuilt them with GWR fittings (while scrapping a whole lot more)

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

The photo that 3005 is based on is dated 26th October 1947.;)

I thought they were all scrapped or moved to different companies (like the LNER) a couple of years after WW1. Was there anymore of the RODs in GWR’s possession post WW2?

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Ribird said:

I thought they were all scrapped or moved to different companies (like the LNER) a couple of years after WW1. Was there anymore of the RODs in GWR’s possession post WW2?

45 of the westernised RoDs survived into BR (w) ownership, the last being withdrawn as late as 1958.

John

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

45 of the westernised RoDs survived into BR (w) ownership, the last being withdrawn as late as 1958.

John

They dont appear to be listed in the GWR.org site that lists shed allocations by class ( unless I missed it which is entirely possible )

When I checked the BR database for 3010 2-8-0 s and similar numbers I got LNER shed allocations and subsequent number changes by adding 7

What would be the best site to use for the GWR owned RODs?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good question John. Have you looked on the Warwickshire Railways site. I found 3012 near Birmingham when allocated to Pontypool Road shed. I'm sure they'll be others, it's an excellent site to browse.

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrbg2281a.htm

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt314.htm

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

While we all search for these, what livery would they have been in? Black, no insignia, and bufferbeam numbers? 

I’m glad you showed us this @gwrrob! I was thinking on getting an O4 instead, but definitely getting a GWR ROD now and still be somewhat right (if I can’t find the right one for the area)

I found this site: Shedbash. I do not know the accuracy of this, but I’ve seen RODs 2-8-0s in the allocations 

Edited by Ribird
Added Shedbash link
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, john dew said:

They dont appear to be listed in the GWR.org site that lists shed allocations by class ( unless I missed it which is entirely possible )

When I checked the BR database for 3010 2-8-0 s and similar numbers I got LNER shed allocations and subsequent number changes by adding 7

I think you may be confusing RODs and WDs? Some of the latter worked on GWR metals but were never owned by the company AFAIK, many subsequently entered BR ownership via the LNER which did buy them. The LNER gave some of theirs numbers which duplicated those carried by GWR RODs.

As for the ex-GWR RODs, my 1955/6 Ian Allan Combine (reprint) shows 23 still in service. By the 1957 edition, they are down to five, all allocated to 87G, Carmarthen.

My recently acquired copy of "Western Region Non-Passenger Trains" includes very nice pix of 3026 passing Swindon in 1952 and 3017 at Newton Abbot in 1953. 

Searching 3017 on BR Database reveals a WD so numbered, but under the 1946 LNER renumbering scheme. It had previously been WD No. 7360, then 77360, and spent its entire post-WD career allocated to Dunfermline. Initial BR number was 63017 and it ended up as 90017 when BR renumbered them all into a single series.

BR Database doesn't (yet?) seem to include info on the GWR-owned RODs.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Spelling and addition
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The photo that 3005 is based on is dated 26th October 1947.;)

It is a well travelled loco. According to the GWR magazine, on January 18th 1947, 3005 was allocated to Tyseley. There were no ROD allocated West of Bristol at this time. 3013,17, 22 34, 41, 45 & 46 were at St Philips Marsh SPM on this date. There was a freight from Bordersley to Tavistock junction, via Swindon and Westbury that was worked throughout by the same engine which could explain why 3005 was in Devon.

On the WD front 77001 is showing as allocated to Newton Abbott, with a further 10 examples at SPM and 5 at Oxley.

Of interest is the number of 8F's still allocated to the west country. 2 at Exeter, 3 at Laira and 3 at Newton Abbott. SPM had 7.

Looks good. It reminds me my K's ROD is far too clean.

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Ribird said:

While we all search for these, what livery would they have been in? Black, no insignia, and bufferbeam numbers? 

I’m glad you showed us this @gwrrob! I was thinking on getting an O4 instead, but definitely getting a GWR ROD now and still be somewhat right (if I can’t find the right one for the area)

I found this site: Shedbash. I do not know the accuracy of this, but I’ve seen RODs 2-8-0s in the allocations 

Excellent.....thank you so much...found what I was looking for 

3003 was apparently a Chester based loco in 1947 so thats one more loco I can re-number

That looks to be a very interesting site....one to bookmark I think.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think you may be confusing RODs and WDs? Some of the latter worked on GWR metals but were never owned by the company AFAIK, many subsequently entered BR ownership via the LNER which did buy them. The LNER gave some of theirs numbers which duplicated those carried by GWR RODs.

As for the ex-GWR RODs, my 1955/6 Ian Allan Combine (reprint) shows 23 still in service. By the 1957 edition, they are down to five, all allocated to 87G, Carmarthen.

My recently acquired copy of "Western Region Non-Passenger Trains" includes very nice pix of 3026 passing Swindon in 1952 and 3017 at Newton Abbot in 1953. 

Searching 3017 on BR Database reveals a WD so numbered, but under the 1946 LNER renumbering scheme. It had previously been WD No. 7360, then 77360, and spent its entire post-WD career allocated to Dunfermline. Initial BR number was 63017 and it ended up as 90017 when BR renumbered them all into a single series.

BR Database doesn't (yet?) seem to include info on the GWR-owned RODs.

John

Thank you.....that does explain what happened.

It was certainly confusing because searching for known GWR ROD #s produced results for matching numbers which didnt make any sense.

It looks as though Shed bash will enable me to renumber my Bachmann GWR ROD which still bears the released number 3031 .....I have a vague memory there was some query abut them using this number for the release and in any event I dont believe it was in the North West in my era.

Thanks again for your help

• Like 3

12 hours ago, john dew said:

Here's one GWR example, 90323

1951 Ebbw Junction (Newport)
1952 Aberdare
1953 Shrewsbury and Severn Tunnel Junction
1955 Cardiff Canton
1960 Banbury and back to Ebbw Junction (Newport)
1962 Gorton

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=970834&loco=834

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1