A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, brianusa said:

You learns sumfink every day.:blush:  Never knew that, my era too! 

Thanks Phil, Happy Christmas

Brian. 

An unbelievable distance from the Speedway!:o   Any idea why it was called thus?  I do remember an improvised cycle oval where kids pedalled their bikes close by!

Don't take my piece too seriously Brian! It was a work of my imagination but it may well have happened!

There was a Cycle Speedway track over the triangle embankment at the back of the Shed.

The real Plymouth Devils' Speedway Stadium was just up the road from where I lived in Peverell; the Fish and Chip Shop is still down the road from the Cherry Tree Pub where I had my first pint of Brown Ale!

I am unsure about the Laira 'Speedway', other than I believe it was either the goods line, parallel to the 4' Lee Moor Tramway,  through the sidings between the Shed and the Road/Plym/Creek, going towards Friary and the Branch down to the Barbican....now a ring Road of sorts. Or it might have been the link line from the Shed/Goods Yard, up to the SR and that formed the Laira Triangle; thus it was the speedy way to escape the Shed!

I have some good notes about that in a book somewhere, but I have forgotten what it said. 

Our friends on here from down Plymuff will fill us in I am sure.

Best wishes to you & yours too,

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Add name of line
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Don't take my piece too seriously Brian! It was a work of my imagination but it may well have happened!

There was a Cycle Speedway track over the triangle embankment at the back of the Shed.

The real Plymouth Devils' Speedway Stadium was just up the road from where I lived in Peverell; the Fish and Chip Shop is still down the road from the Cherry Tree Pub where I had my first pint of Brown Ale!

I am unsure about the Laira 'Speedway', other than I believe it was either the goods line, parallel to the 4' Lee Moor Tramway,  through the sidings between the Shed and the Road/Plym/Creek, going towards Friary and the Branch down to the Barbican....now a ring Road of sorts. Or it might have been the link line from the Shed/Goods Yard, up to the SR and that formed the Laira Triangle; thus it was the speedy way to escape the Shed!

I have some good notes about that in a book somewhere, but I have forgotten what it said. 

Our friends on here from down Plymuff will fill us in I am sure.

Best wishes to you & yours too,

Phil

Can you still get brown ale? And what about Mild?

Back in the days when I used to drink a brown 'n' mild on a hot day went down a treat. This is the first time in years I have wanted a drink of beer.

I hope everyone is being very sensible tomorrow and has a safe Christmas.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Can you still get brown ale? And what about Mild?

Back in the days when I used to drink a brown 'n' mild on a hot day went down a treat. This is the first time in years I have wanted a drink of beer.

I hope everyone is being very sensible tomorrow and has a safe Christmas.

Brown ale is still widely available, but mild is pretty rare these days, although I found a load of pubs in Norwich serving it, a couple of years ago when I visited my aunt who was in hospital at the time.

Merry Christmas all!!!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/12/2020 at 11:37, gwrrob said:

Asking for a friend obviously but are those delightful looking Bachmann Bulleid coaches of any use West of Exeter on route familiarisation turns.;)

Yes, definitely. They replaced all GWR coaching stock from 1947 onwards. Honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 20/11/2020 at 16:36, Ian Hargrave said:

Though some we’ve seen before and one or two are of variable reproduction,no one who models the West Country and its branch lines or who,like me , went there on summer holidays way back when,should be without it. It’s in colour and topically as we’re talking Moguls I’m looking at a full page plate of ex works 6377 ..lined green e/c..at Newton Abbott which proves that yes they did indeed once look clean.

I immediately connected with it because the second plate is of Chacewater...change for Newquay ..and 5557 on a branch line local. On a family holiday in 1953 we travelled along that branch on an excursion from Penzance 

Accompanying text looks well put together and informative.

Having received this book today off the darling wife I can heartily agree and recommend. Interesting to see both Kingsbridge and Bodmin North featured with lovely larger than seen before colour photos .

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Having received this book today off the darling wife I can heartily agree and recommend. Interesting to see both Kingsbridge and Bodmin North featured with lovely larger than seen before colour photos .

Your wife has impeccable taste Robin. Given lockdown and other circumstances I’ve spent a good part of today reading through this,though I haven’t reached the end yet. Life is full,of surprises and  this book has revealed for me one amazing coincidence which is that on the 15th August 1959  Peter Gray and the 15 Year old me were in the same place on the Liskeard -Looe branch line.That year our summer August holiday was spent in Looe which ,being so accessible to Plymouth via  that branch line,was too good an opportunity to miss for spotting on a summer Saturday. Hence my Ian Allan LocoLog records both 4559  & 4565 ( 83E) on that day. My train from Liskeard to Plymouth on that day was a Perranporth to Paddington holiday train which was County hauled and which worked on from North Road without change....all 13 coaches of it. There was more steam than diesel,though the Riviera was by then a premier Warship turn which divested its dining car at Plymouth and then took the rest of the train forward to Penzance. But on that Saturday it was a case of anything goes.. Enjoy the book 

Would have been nice to have met him.Nevertheless the coincidence is a nice surprise 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

This book?

rps20201226_063616.jpg.8aa3d10669bd01c0c817bc07236e376d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Your wife has impeccable taste Robin. Given lockdown and other circumstances I’ve spent a good part of today reading through this,though I haven’t reached the end yet. Life is full,of surprises and  this book has revealed for me one amazing coincidence which is that on the 15th August 1959  Peter Gray and the 15 Year old me were in the same place on the Liskeard -Looe branch line.That year our summer August holiday was spent in Looe which ,being so accessible to Plymouth via  that branch line,was too good an opportunity to miss for spotting on a summer Saturday. Hence my Ian Allan LocoLog records both 4559  & 4565 ( 83E) on that day. My train from Liskeard to Plymouth on that day was a Perranporth to Paddington holiday train which was County hauled and which worked on from North Road without change....all 13 coaches of it. There was more steam than diesel,though the Riviera was by then a premier Warship turn which divested its dining car at Plymouth and then took the rest of the train forward to Penzance. But on that Saturday it was a case of anything goes.. Enjoy the book 

Would have been nice to have met him.Nevertheless the coincidence is a nice surprise 

Blimey, a County on 13 up Hemerdon must have been a sight. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yep ! 

Those GW County's were definitely some locomotive :crazy_mini:

3473-County-of-Middlesex-cred-CCTC-e1524230874493.jpg.f004070c6a8a28197ac48d52eadad478.jpg

A Fan

Edited by bgman
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Mine usually runs with a maximum of eight on, seen here on a Crewe- Penzance turn with LMS coaches at the front. What are the chances of a new version being announced by Hornby ?

114830078_DSCN4636(3).JPG.2ad2dda783414340744c017b094ab98c.JPG1288756524_DSCN4641(2).JPG.e43d7f2d715ab9eb53f13bac6cd31e56.JPG286258360_DSCN4656(3).JPG.fa8903e1c6e71ec68bec58cadd1a95bf.JPG

New announcement is a good bet Rob. Three variations of chimney too! I can even have a County at SL, even though they were (seemingly) officially banned along the SWML for some reason. Halls did it so why not Counties I demand to know!

Great shots matey.

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Mine usually runs with a maximum of eight on, seen here on a Crewe- Penzance turn with LMS coaches at the front. What are the chances of a new version being announced by Hornby ?

114830078_DSCN4636(3).JPG.2ad2dda783414340744c017b094ab98c.JPG1288756524_DSCN4641(2).JPG.e43d7f2d715ab9eb53f13bac6cd31e56.JPG286258360_DSCN4656(3).JPG.fa8903e1c6e71ec68bec58cadd1a95bf.JPG

Would not a mild re-tool of their Star & Hall or a brand new Saint be preferable?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Would not a mild re-tool of their Star & Hall or a brand new Saint be preferable?

No,non,nein,niet,nay.IMHO,their current  Hawksworth County ( yes I mean GWR/WR,1000 —1029 ) needs binning to be replaced by ,shall we say, something better representative of the prototype...and because it’s the so called Festive Season....I am being deferentially kind here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I said it worked forward but have no memory or record  of a pilot and given the load with all seats taken there surely must have been one. Counties were then handling the heavy holiday expresses with distinction it must be said and mine came up from Cornwall which has a switchback main lne without assistance.

One other point....and a confession...re:my original post.My age was then 17 not15 .Lying about one’s age....tut tut,whatever next ? Only joking.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

Would not a mild re-tool of their Star & Hall 

Not a hope in my opinion. Thinking more about it I can't see any new GWR loco being announced by Hornby next week. However, like Ian, I think the Hawksworth County is ripe for a new version, from someone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Not a hope in my opinion. Thinking more about it I can't see any new GWR loco being announced by Hornby next week. However, like Ian, I think the Hawksworth County is ripe for a new version, from someone.

You underestimate the power of the force..

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Someone indeed Robin. And now that Rapido have thrown their  hat into the GW ring with the 16XX and 15XX and appear to be taking a serious interest in UK centred models ,then perhaps they might take up the cause.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I think the Hawksworth County is ripe for a new version

Or in delft hands - CONVERSION ! Go on have a bash mate what's the worst that can happen.

Kitt B.Asher

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

No,non,nein,niet,nay.IMHO,their current  Hawksworth County ( yes I mean GWR/WR,1000 —1029 ) needs binning to be replaced by ,shall we say, something better representative of the prototype...and because it’s the so called Festive Season....I am being deferentially kind here.

databank_forcechoke_01_169_93e4b0cf.jpg.e3b82649906595298ff0c8c7b66c2b21.jpg

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I'm still hoping for the announcement of Saints. Someone has apparently scanned 2999.