A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Well I'm really surprised no one has mentioned these. If I were Hatton's I'd be a bit p***ed off.:o

942423797_Slide141.JPG.ac63b2d940cefe8fc34f0d59393c4d32(1).jpg.3f6a2db7dc21d464205fa256a30bf05f.jpg

Cute, but way too old............If I need a space filling in a few years a grounded Brake/Baggage might be of interest......

Hattons must be seething.     And to think Hornby could have put this effort into Toplights.........

• Agree 7

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Well I'm really surprised no one has mentioned these. If I were Hatton's I'd be a bit p***ed off.:o

Well its better than being p****d on ! :lol:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

And to think Hornby could have put this effort into Toplights.........

Yet there's been people complaining for years on end that there's been no pre-grouping stock, now there's two Manufacturers producing it - people are still complaining. :banghead:

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

Bit of a sorry state when the only GWR offerings in the 2021 Hornby range are generic 4 wheel coaches.   I don’t think I saw a single older release in any form of GWR either, just two more BR liveries on the new prairie.

Personally I think due to the delays caused due the vile plague, all the firms that use Ch*!a for manufacturer/tooling are still playing catch up with missed manufacturing slots - in Hornby's case there's still a hell of a lot outstanding from last years announcements.

Plus don't forget Hornby always drip feed additional announcements in the months afterwards.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, bgman said:

Apparently "Keep clicking slows it all down "

Try telling my knees that.....I thought I'd got my mouse stuck down there !!!

I thought it was Andy's insistence for using Russian Hamsters to power the servers was the problem - surely Gerbils would've been faster :jester:

Sounds like your knees need some WD-40...

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

people are still complaining. :banghead:

I call it having an opinion young Skywalker.;) I'm feeling underwhelmed, again.

Edited by gwrrob
typo
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Good afternoon all, on this first day of another lockdown, I will shortly be posting up a photograph to cheer everyone up, especially those who miss our wonderful Taunton get-togethers.

Yes folks, due to a combination of Governmental policy, the current lockdown restrictions and the need to measure some bricks at my dentists, I found myself in the village this morning, so I undertook to initiate a quick quality control test on the usual pasty supply, to ensure that quality control is satisfactory.

20210105_121043.jpg.d7a4f39d59320a9197d03d6d8f82887b.jpg

I am happy to confirm that the quality is still eminently satisfactory.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

You need to buy a Beattie Well Tank to get over it

Robin,

I literally have a pristine S.R. black example for sale, so you may direct any expressions of interest to Kernow Towers. Failing that, it will depart from these shores for Widnes, along with a number of other items that are emigrating from Kernowland, due to not qualifying for admittance to the First Class Pannier Lounge.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, toboldlygo said:

Yet there's been people complaining for years on end that there's been no pre-grouping stock, now there's two Manufacturers producing it - people are still complaining. 

Given both are just generic models, you could say there still aren’t any pre grouping coaches...

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes folks, due to a combination of Governmental policy, the current lockdown restrictions and the need to measure some bricks at my dentists, I found myself in the village this morning, so I undertook to initiate a quick quality control test on the usual pasty supply, to ensure that quality control is satisfactory.

I am happy to confirm that the quality is still eminently satisfactory.

Mrs WF has been making pasties today, Apple ones, made with puff pastry. They're amazing...

20210105_193044_copy_1600x1200.jpg.67d24d84f3e07b32611d60e63b7bd1c4.jpg

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Mrs WF has been making pasties today, Apple ones, made with puff pastry. They're amazing...

20210105_193044_copy_1600x1200.jpg.67d24d84f3e07b32611d60e63b7bd1c4.jpg

In my day that was an apple turnover, as in:

Q: Why did the apple turnover?

A: Because it saw the sausage roll.

I thank you.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I undertook to initiate a quick quality control test on the usual pasty supply, to ensure that quality control is satisfactory.

Wish we lived near you!

Brian.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I daren't say it on the Hornby threads, so i'll say it here - probably the most underwhelming set of Hornby new releases for the GWR modeller in many, many years.

They could've at least thrown us some sort of bone, like Collett coaches in post-war livery, or any of their locos in post-war livery (such as the Grange, 28xx, 42/52/72xx). I am also crying out for a Castle (preferably with scalloped inside cylinder cover) in G-crest-W livery with a Collett tender. 

Agree with the dismay at the generic pre-grouping coaches; it's not a good look to compete with Hattons when the model railway market is so comparatively small. They could've done some "generic" clerestory coaches instead? 

Ho hum - I've just treated myself to a Bachmann pannier in wartime black instead!

CoY

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I was expecting at least a dining car, Brake compo or a full brake to go with the newer Colletts. For little investment an E28 or K38 Oceans Mails body on existing underframes could have provided additional revenue.

However does the total lack of GWR hint at a mid year announcement?

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Coach bogie said:

I was expecting at least a dining car, Brake compo or a full brake to go with the newer Colletts.

To be honest, I was hoping but not expecting. In that context I was not disappointed.

My overall reaction was the same as @County of Yorkshire's - underwhelming. To be fair, the upgraded Southern bogie van and the Mk1 RB were interesting but I don't need either - for the former I followed the Roxey route and for the latter I upgraded a Lima model, both many many moons ago.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Bit of a sorry state when the only GWR offerings in the 2021 Hornby range are generic 4 wheel coaches.   I don’t think I saw a single older release in any form of GWR either, just two more BR liveries on the new prairie.

Don't forget the super old GWR Mogo van and the GWR Terrier pack with three of the 4/6 wheeled coaches with a shirtbutton on them. R3960 is the product code for that pack. RRP is £179.99, selling at £161.99. Don't look at the announcement pics for the price, it was set at £299.99 :banghead:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Ribird said:

Don't forget the super old GWR Mogo van and the GWR Terrier pack with three of the 4/6 wheeled coaches with a shirtbutton on them. R3960 is the product code for that pack. RRP is £179.99, selling at £161.99. Don't look at the announcement pics for the price, it was set at £299.99 :banghead:

Plus if you look on Hornby's website (just don't break it again), there's still an awful lot of last years GWR (WR) items on there. So they won't produce more until those stocks are cleared - if they did everything that the GWR crowd wanted every year - they'd of gone bankrupt by now :banghead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2