A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Talking of black panniers and I see the MR 16xx is due to dock at Felixstowe in the next fortnight.:dance_mini:

Great news... 

And the 94xx hot on its tails hopefully! ;)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Very much so and here she is awaiting Dave Frank's buffers. A little filling to be done but overall a very clean build indeed. I've also fitted cast coupling hooks and with use the blackened hoops from Smith's on these. The Climax fire pumps are from the Oxford Diecast range and will be tied in at the end of the build.

987591973_DSCN7468(2).JPG.1c65008f4de41bf28532778cecccf9ec.JPG1808691267_DSCN7469(2).JPG.afe8699c89cfc4ca98c924cdf513d8b7.JPG98268615_DSCN7472(2).JPG.bccb52c4aaecc4a8058b17fd41542108.JPG

Nice work there Robin... ;)

I'm sure Mr Franks will be on the case ASAP. Always excellent service.. :D

Look forwards to seeing it finished.. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/01/2021 at 21:51, 46444 said:

And the 94xx hot on its tails hopefully! ;)

Yes, I'd better sort some stock out for the Ivybridge goods [1957], any suggestions rtr wise. A couple of steel opens might be in order.

Edited by gwrrob
info.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2021 at 11:40, gwrrob said:

Very much so and here she is awaiting Dave Frank's buffers. A little filling to be done but overall a very clean build indeed. I've also fitted cast coupling hooks and with use the blackened hoops from Smith's on these. The Climax fire pumps are from the Oxford Diecast range and will be tied in at the end of the build.

987591973_DSCN7468(2).JPG.1c65008f4de41bf28532778cecccf9ec.JPG1808691267_DSCN7469(2).JPG.afe8699c89cfc4ca98c924cdf513d8b7.JPG98268615_DSCN7472(2).JPG.bccb52c4aaecc4a8058b17fd41542108.JPG

A couple of Climaxes, are they Coventry Climaxes?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Yes, I'd better sort some stock out for the Ivybridge goods, any suggestions rtr wise. A couple of steel opens might be in order.

Have a poke into the history of Ivybridge ref small Industry; deliveries, as there could be for Farmers.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Have a poke into the history of Ivybridge ref small Industry; deliveries, as there could be for Farmers.

I've seen a photo shewing wagons full of root veg probably turnips amongst other stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, gwrrob said:

I've seen a photo shewing wagons full of root veg probably turnips amongst other stuff.

Yes, plenty of that sort of thing I should think. Sugar Beet maybe? Cauliflowers in old Cattle Wagons? Spuds in Vans?

Just had a look and the main employer was the Paper Mill.  I have never seem any pics of paper rolls on wagons, probably because they would be covered!:D

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 11:40, gwrrob said:

Hi Rob, 

A nice build.

Are the cast coupling hooks the LMS whitemetal ones? If so, how to you fit the three links? Do you just hang them from the hook, or do you drill out the coupling eye with a .45 drill bit?

I try to do that latter but seem to end up snapping a fair few drawhooks! I'm really trying to add three links to all my kitbuilt wagon stock but it's such a faff sometimes!

CoY

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, County of Yorkshire said:

Are the cast coupling hooks the LMS whitemetal ones? If so, how to you fit the three links? Do you just hang them from the hook, or do you drill out the coupling eye with a .45 drill bit?

Yes and you can drill them 0.6mm to fit the links. They have dimples on to guide the drill. Fiddly but doable.

http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshiremodelsandsupplieswebsite_170.htm

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Yes, I'd better sort some stock out for the Ivybridge goods, any suggestions rtr wise. A couple of steel opens might be in order.

Was the papermill in Ivybridge going in 1947? I'd imagine it was?

Don't forget the works at Bittaford and also the Plymouth Mental Hospital at Bittaford (Moorhaven) 

Wrangaton Station and the Royal Naval Stores at Wrangaton may have also provided traffic on the Ivybridge  goods. 

Hope that helps. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, gwrrob said:

I think there is a photo of an Ivybridge goods in the GWRJ article on Newton Abbot freight 

will have a look later

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Was there indeed an Ivybridge goods?  MTL it was served by the Ashburton goods from Tavistock Junc. on the way up or down.  Don't think it came down from Newton?  Could stand some enlightening on the subject!  Never saw much  in Ivybridge yard.  My grandparents and I used to stop for a cup of tea nearby when they could get petrol coupons, it was about as far as they could go!

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, brianusa said:

Was there indeed an Ivybridge goods?  MTL it was served by the Ashburton goods from Tavistock Junc. on the way up or down.  Don't think it came down from Newton?  Could stand some enlightening on the subject!  Never saw much  in Ivybridge yard.  My grandparents and I used to stop for a cup of tea nearby when they could get petrol coupons, it was about as far as they could go!

Brian.

Just checked my 1947 (possibly 1949) working timetable, one goods per day Newton Abbot to Ivybridge due at Brent 14:00 with the return working at 15:40

edit

checked gwrj, couldn’t see the photo I was thinking of.  Though sure I’ve seen one somewhere.  It only had a photo of a kingsbridge bound goods with lots of cattle wagons (which I’m sure is in one of the books on the branch).

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Bulwell Hall said:

I think that the photo in GWRJ that you have in mind shows 4405 on the Ashburton Goods at Dainton in 1947.  The train ran from Newton Abbott, over Dainton to Totnes where it reversed and then ran up the Ashburton Branch.  It then did the journey in reverse  back to Newton so would not have passed Brent or Ivybridge.  I found the photo very useful when I refurbished a model of 4405 - shewn below - that I picked up at the EMGS Skills Day at Didcot back last March - the last railway event that I attended which seems like another age now!  Sorry that I cannot give you the issue number of GWRJ containing the photo as it is in my railway room in the garden and I am  currently in the house!

Issue 84 or 85, I had it open last night.    Very nice model, is it green or black under the filth? 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

The freight turn from Ivybridge I mentioned involves  Newton based 9440 in 1957. In the Pannier Papers , the train is short with possibly less than ten wagons.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'd reckon a couple of Open Coals and a Van or two for Ivybridge Rob. Typical of the period?

Phil

I have plenty of vans but no coal wagons of the period. Bachmann do several but I need to select which are correct. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Yup, Papermill would have been working well in 47 and 57; look it up on Gogglethingy; should be turned into Apartments by now if the plans went ahead.

Phil

Last time I went through Ivybridge on the train shortly before the 2nd lockdown, work was well in hand, but not completed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 11/01/2021 at 11:13, The Fatadder said:

Issue 84 or 85, I had it open last night.    Very nice model, is it green or black under the filth? 

It is green under the filth - with no GWR insignia on the side tanks.  So far as I can tell she had no insignia in either late GW or BR days but this was not that unusual on smaller, older engines.   In 1947 she was in a bit of a state - hence the grime - but sometime later she must have had a 'heavy general' at Swindon as she remained to be one of the last of the class in traffic.   That she had no BR totem is shown in a photo of her 'piloting' at Bristol TM in the early 1950s and I have no idea how she came to be on that duty.

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2