A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

The last one is a toad brake van :P

I know in 47 Newton Abbot had an AA3 56010 (all be it a more unusual one which had the lower planks plated over on the body and but full wooden sides on the veranda.    a model that is on my to do list somewhere along the line... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Talking of short freights in the 50s and this rather nice close up is the Ivybridge goods. Any takers on what the wagons pictured are.

0207BF2A-388B-4C27-A1EE-4FFC87247CBB.jpeg.88118d7e84d0b76fa27b58da6a66672f.jpeg.7ae75efb0858bd7ab0d415a8b1ff7fd3.jpeg

Hi Rob

An ex PO 7 plank end door mineral, a LNER six plank open, 2 GWR Minks, another LNER six plank open, one more 7 plank ex PO (or LMS or LNER) mineral with no sign of it being and end door, if so then it is an ex PO and two LMS vans, the rear one could be either a old steel one or a new plywood one, my bet is on a plywood one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

The last one is a toad brake van :P

I know in 47 Newton Abbot had an AA3 56010 (all be it a more unusual one which had the lower planks plated over on the body and but full wooden sides on the veranda.    a model that is on my to do list somewhere along the line... 

So far as I know that vehicle was used on the Ashburton Goods - it was marked Newton Abbott RU.  There are a couple of photos showing it at Ashburton whist 4405 was shunting wagons.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

An ex PO 7 plank end door mineral, a LNER six plank open, 2 GWR Minks, another LNER six plank open, 

Thanks Clive and I see Oxford Rail do the six plank and I believe @46444of this parish has upgraded some he might like to share.;)

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Thanks Clive and I see Oxford Rail do the six plank and I believe @46444of this parish has upgraded some he might like to share.;)

You rang... ;)

Influenced by the one and only Mr PMP no doubt... ;)

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 46444 said:

You rang... ;)

Influenced by the one and only Mr PMP no doubt... ;)

Could you post some more about how you painted the unpainted wood wagon please?

I have a cambrian SR 8 plank which should be finished in that sort of condition which has been sat awaiting paint for longer than I care to remember, which I really ought to get finished off.

• Friendly/supportive 2

A totally random question......

I haven't seen any posts for yonks from Horsetan on RMweb, does anyone known anything about him ? 

He used to be a regular in various threads.

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, bgman said:

I haven't seen any posts for yonks from Horsetan on RMweb, does anyone known anything about him ? 

I know he posts on the GWR modellers Facebook group

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bgman said:

Still actively posting on the LNER forum.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/01/2021 at 14:49, gwrrob said:

Talking of short freights in the 50s and this rather nice close up is the Ivybridge goods. Any takers on what the wagons pictured are.

0207BF2A-388B-4C27-A1EE-4FFC87247CBB.jpeg.88118d7e84d0b76fa27b58da6a66672f.jpeg.7ae75efb0858bd7ab0d415a8b1ff7fd3.jpeg

Open, open, van, van, open, open, van, van, potting shed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2021 at 20:31, The Fatadder said:

Could you post some more about how you painted the unpainted wood wagon please?

I have a cambrian SR 8 plank which should be finished in that sort of condition which has been sat awaiting paint for longer than I care to remember, which I really ought to get finished off.

Evening Rich, 

The Cambrian SR 8 Plank is a nice kit and would look good suitably weathered. 

With these Oxford 7 Plank wagons they were sprayed with grey primer as a base coat. 

Then an assortment of Vallejo acrylics were brush painted picking out suitable planking. I think the colours used were the ubiquitous German Grey (Black), Dark Rust, Old Wood, Dark Earth. These were thinned as well for a washed out effect at times. 

Metal strapping is German Grey dry brushed with Dark Rust. A light wash mixed from German grey and dark rust was then applied to bring things together. 

Dry brushing with the above colours adds definition as well to the metal corner pieces etc. 

The light use of Games Worksop Citadel Lead Belcher also enhances this process. 

Hope that helps.. 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Open, open, van, van, open, open, van, van, potting shed.

Is that an AA17 potting shed or an AA20 variant? .... 

Complicated identifying these potting sheds.. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/01/2021 at 23:21, bgman said:

I believe he fell foul of Forum Rules and was told to sling his hook. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 46444 said:

Evening Rich, 

The Cambrian SR 8 Plank is a nice kit and would look good suitably weathered. 

With these Oxford 7 Plank wagons they were sprayed with grey primer as a base coat. 

Then an assortment of Vallejo acrylics were brush painted picking out suitable planking. I think the colours used were the ubiquitous German Grey (Black), Dark Rust, Old Wood, Dark Earth. These were thinned as well for a washed out effect at times. 

Metal strapping is German Grey dry brushed with Dark Rust. A light wash mixed from German grey and dark rust was then applied to bring things together. 

Dry brushing with the above colours adds definition as well to the metal corner pieces etc. 

The light use of Games Worksop Citadel Lead Belcher also enhances this process. 

Hope that helps.. 

Cheers,

Mark 

Lead Belcher sounds a good name for a member of Staff on a layout.

A. Burper. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Lead Belcher sounds a good name for a member of Staff on a layout.

A. Burper. 

Why not, we've had a trump as a president.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Talking of people being absent, anyone heard from Stu (Stuby 47) recently ?

6 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Good point - no. Fingers crossed. 

The last I heard, late last year , was he was taking a break from the site and that nothing was amiss. @NHY 581 had spoken to him I believe.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob.  I've just had a bit of a running session, despite the temperature in my railway barn being 11 degrees, and that as a result of leaving the small heater on for 24 hrs. It was about 5 earlier this week! So my excellent station building, based upon Halwill Junction and made for me by Stubby, saw BR 6364 and three B&C Hawksworths passing through. It does make a handsome train. 

• Like 14